Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone read the article about Michelle Kwan in this week's TV Guide? Apparently during the warm-ups at the Nationals, Sasha Cohen bumped into Michelle. At first Michelle just took it as being an accident, but then Sasha bumped into her again?

I used to like Sasha, thought she was a good skater, but after hearing this, I hope she eats ice at the Olympics:fiery: What a b*tch!:mad: Michelle is the true queen of figure skating. Hope she kicks Sasha Cohen's butt.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Jeff, I read that and it's got me wondering also. :rolleyes:

I'll be rooting for Michelle to win the gold and Sarah Hughes the silver. Michelle has been such a wonderful spokeswoman for the sport and always gracious. I really couldn't care less where Sasha finishes.

As for Sarah, I remember seeing this spright seven year old at intermission of New York Ranger hockey games doing these amazing jumps and spins - it was Sarah Hughes many years ago! Now she's all grown up and she's a local product so I hope she kicks Sasha's butt as well. ;)

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
I've read about this before. If it's true, that's really nasty. I don't know her but I surely won't be supporting her. Anyway Good luck to Michelle Kwan and Sarah Hughes in Salt Lake, but Michelle better win Gold! :kiss:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Well, it's been popping up everywhere.....so I guess it might be true!:mad:

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
I think it was just an accident. Anyways. Michelle is simply the best!!!!

GO MICHELLE

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
She probably thought that talent rubs off. So she probably figures that the closer she can get to Michelle, the better.

Or she's a very clumsy bitch who should stop trying to flirt with Michelle, and find someone else. ;)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Cohen not afraid to mix it up during warm-ups

LOS ANGELES —

Wasn't it something the way Sasha Cohen pushed her way on to the U.S. Olympic team Saturday night?

And I do mean pushed.

And barged. And got in the way. And stared. And made herself an all-around nuisance in one of the more self-centered warm-up performances in recent U.S. figure skating history.

The upset of the evening was that all of Cohen's top five rivals were still standing after the six-minute practice session they shared immediately preceding their long programs at the U.S. national championships. I don't mind a little gamesmanship, a Katarina Witt staredown, say, but this was ridiculous. This supremely confident young lady looked as if she had been assigned man-to-man coverage of Michelle Kwan from the moment they took the ice to warm up their jumps. And she took to the assignment with reckless abandon.

Let me tell you, sports fans, this is not the way a skating warm-up is supposed to go. The idea in these intense practice sessions is to get ready for your own long program while deftly avoiding the five other women on the ice doing the exact same thing. It's not an easy task. However, surprisingly enough, collisions are extremely rare, which leads us to only one conclusion: Skaters have eyes in the back of their heads.

Cohen adroitly used her second set of eyes Saturday evening to guide her on her own personal search-and-get-in-the-way mission across the ice. She bumped Kwan not once but twice and bird-dogged the national-champion-for-life throughout the warm-up.

Every time Kwan turned around, the 17-year-old Cohen was right there, Velcroed to her costume. A lesser sportswoman would have elbowed the kid into Section 119.

Instead, Kwan tried to stay focused and stick to her practice game plan, although it clearly wasn't easy. Due to the omnipresent Cohen, Kwan never had an opportunity to warm up her triple toe-triple toe combination. When it came time for her to skate her program, she attempted, and landed, a triple-double instead. Cohen also spun into Angela Nikodinov's path long enough to delay her attempt to practice her triple loop. And Sarah Hughes couldn't help but notice all the fender benders and traffic jams happening around her, later saying the near-misses were "worse than usual."

But it was Kwan, the 21-year-old veteran, who bore the brunt of Cohen's childish antics. Going first in the group of six, Kwan took an unusual amount of time after her name was called, half a minute or so, to skate around and compose herself before getting into her opening position.

It was because of Cohen.

"I had to really regroup and get myself together," Kwan said.

However, if Cohen's intent was to so rattle Kwan that she would hand the national title to Cohen, she failed miserably. After taking a big deep breath, Kwan blew the doors off the competition, which included Little Miss Cohen, who ended up the distant runner-up.

Backstage after the event, everyone was abuzz over Cohen's performance — and I'm not talking about her long program. Apparently, this was not a once-in-a-lifetime effort from Cohen. "She does this all the time," was the refrain from several skaters and coaches. Kwan and Nikodinov even had a little chat about Cohen at a practice Friday after she nearly checked another skater into the boards.

"I try to go through my steps, try to go around people, but I guess sometimes it's hard because everyone is really focused on getting their own stuff in," Cohen said in her own defense.

Ever the diplomat, Kwan refused to point a finger. However, given the opportunity to dismiss the unscheduled tête-à-têtes with Cohen as accidents, Kwan demurred.

This is not the first time a skater has played mind games with her competitors. This is, after all, the sport that gave us Tonya Harding. It also gave us Surya Bonaly, who landed an outrageous backflip in Midori Ito's face in practice at the 1992 Olympics. Clearly shaken, Ito was never the same during those Games, finishing second.

The Russians, particularly Maria Butyrskaya, have been known to make a run at rivals during practice sessions. If Sasha, Maria and Michelle all end up in the same warm-up group for the short or long program at the Olympics, I have a suggestion for Kwan:

Wear hockey pads.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
OOOOHhhhhhh whos the bitch on the ice?:D LMAO!

·
Registered
17,916 Posts
I hope Sasha falls down on her first jump. She was cute at 15 and I was a fan; now she is a first-class brat. :p :p :p

On the plus side, this story has gotten a LOT of publicity (NY Times article; mentioned on Pardon the Interruption on ESPN). I don't think it will endear Sasha to the public or to the judges.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heck no:mad: I can't stand Irina Slutskya. She's all jumps and nothing else :p

·
Poetic at Heart
3,503 Posts

well...I hate to be the spoiler but:rolleyes: She's probably our next national champion. I really never though it bother Michelle more than it did to Angela...I really think part of Angela's meltdown was to the fact that she let cohen get to her head. Let's remember that before nationals started many thought Cohen's main rival for the bronze was Nikodinov(to my surprise Sasha won the silver!!:eek: :eek: ) hopefully she'll get wiser and see that these mind games can't lead to anything good.

btw, to the Niko fans, she'll stick around for the next Olympic cycle, maybe the meltdown at nationals would make her into a stronger skater...and let's face it, she's one of the purest artistic skaters the U.S has had in a while(the other one being Michelle). :kiss:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
This is out of hand. Michelle really needs to body check this broad next time she acts up. She and Michelle were the only two on the ice- Michelle's run-though is on- an Sasha finds a way to act a fool. :rolleyes:

Close Again

Cohen received attention last month for bumping Kwan and getting in her path during their warm-up for the long program at the U.S. national championships.

During her first Olympic practice session Friday, she did it again.

As Kwan began to skate her Rachmaninoff short program at the Salt Lake Ice Center, Cohen appeared to look at her, then move toward her, getting about 5 feet in front of Kwan before moving out of the way. They did not bump one another. However, long-standing skating protocol says the skater who is performing his or her program has the right of way during that time and all other skaters should defer to them and make sure to be out of their path.

"When you're out there, you're not always going to be 50 feet apart," Cohen said afterward. "I was doing my jump. As soon as I finished it, I moved right out of her way. She didn't have to change her pattern."

Nicks said he saw nothing wrong with what Cohen did, adding, "She probably was near her."

She and Kwan, neither more than 5-foot-2 inches tall, were the only two skaters to show up for practice on the Olympic-size rink.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
713 Posts
All this stuff reminds me a little of the Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding saga of '94, but on a smaller scale.

As I was watching America's ice queens being interviewed by Bob Costas tonight, I just had to wonder if Michelle's decision to stay in Utah wasn't caused by Sasha's return to Lake Arrowhead to train! (Better safe than sorry, Michelle!)

In any case, I think Michelle was very diplomatic when she was asked point blank about the bump at nationals, even though I think she was trying to hide a smirk...Sasha wrote it off to being focused on herself and her moves.

Sasha may be talented, but I really dislike athletes who have to resort to gamesmanship instead of relying on their natural abilities to win.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tammy, I was thinking the SAME EXACT THING tonight.

I was watching Michelle and Sasha being interviewed by Bob tonight, as well. I was surprised that Bob even brought the subject up. Not surprised by Sasha's answer, though. "It get's crowded out there and I was just focusing on myself." I could see Michelle sort of smirk. What Sasha said is such BS. I was wondering what Sarah Hughes was saying, as well, because in an interview from T.V. guide, she, too, said it was uncalled for what Sasha did.

As far as Michelle staying in Salt Lake. Again, I was thinking the same as you. I can't believe Sasha is training in Lake Arrowhead. Why isn't she in Salt Lake? I don't even think Lake Arrowhead is where she usually trains, is it? Pfffff. Anyway, I just hope she really does try that quadruple axel, and falls flat on her face.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Well, I'm not supporting her anymore.LOL:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts