Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated: 02:51 PM EDT
Tennis-Sanchez-Vicaro receives go-ahead for fifth Olympics

MADRID, June 30 (Reuters) - Former world number one Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario is to be given the go-ahead to become the first tennis player to compete in five Olympics, the president of Spain's tennis federation Agustin Pujol said on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old, who won four grand slam singles titles, received an invitation from the International Tennis Federation (ITF) to take part in the doubles with Anabel Medina at Athens in August, said Pujol.

"It's a recognition of the desire that Arantxa has to take part in another Olympics," Pujol told Spanish news agency Europa Press.

Sanchez-Vicario, who retired from competitive tennis in November 2002, returned last month to prepare for the Olympics.

She has played a clutch of tournaments to hone her doubles play ahead of the Athens Games, but was knocked out in the first round at Wimbledon by compatriot Conchita Martinez and Slovakian Janette Husarova, the seventh seeds.

A member of the Spanish Olympic Committee, Sanchez-Vicario participated in the 1988, 1992, 1996 and 2000 Games, winning four medals, more than any other Spanish athlete.

06/30/04 14:49 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited.

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
2 places for 2 Spanish teams, that's a plus :bounce:
I hope she finally understands it's Magüi the partner she must choose, with Medina their results speak by themselves.
Anyway I hope Vivi/Conchi do better :D

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Wow 5 Olympics!! Thats all in a course of about 3 decades! I wish Arantxa the BEST of luck...SO many records and stats that she has...yet still totally unnoticed...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not to take anything away from Arantxa, cause I have MUCH repect for her... but what results did she produce to show she should be named to the team? I really can't remember any good results since she's made her comeback this year.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I feel Arantxa needs to up her level in order to make noise at Athens. But Arantxa is a fighter and I truly wish her all the best :)

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Aranchaaaaaaaaa :bounce: buena suerte en las olimpiadas :kiss:

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
This is great news for Arantxa. Five Olympic games is some kind of achievement! Although having seen her play at Wimbledon the other day, she seems short of match practice - some of the great shot making is still there but she seems more prone to errors than her usual high standard. She looks in good shape too.
Good luck Arantxa :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts