1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Great match! Qinwen gave a great account of herself, just like the Swiatek RG match, but couldn't get the win. Still, she is very promising and I can't wait to see where she goes from here. Shame she drew Naomi in R1.

Osaka played well to win today, especially considering she is rusty and is coming from an injury. Her serve was on point when it really mattered (Qinwen was great on serve herself).

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Osaka looked quite good. Not at her best, but definitely good. She'll be very hard to beat if she can keep up her third set form and her serving.

Quality match too, Qinwen played very well and both Qinwen and the potential seeds better hope and pray she has a big run or two to get her into seeding territory before the US Open can rig make the draw.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Naomi served well and Qinwen made entirely too many errors to put pressure on Naomi. Serving well isn't going to cut it against someone who actually moves her around the way that Qinwen did at the start of the match.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I haven’t posted in a while, but with Naomi back on tour, here i am, finding excitement in the wta again.

So good to see Naomi back on court. Very solid first match back. What stood out to me were her movement and the depth of her groundstrokes but most importantly, she looked happy.

She always looks rather relaxed when her dad is with her and we all know what happened the last time he moonlighted as coach in 2019…

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Osaka should have a really good US Open swing in this form (her conditioning could be better + her return positioning on 2nd serve is too aggressive).

As for Zheng, I would be surprised if she doesn’t win a big title (probably on a higher bouncing,slower court) next year. The talent is very apparent.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Such a fun contest played in great spirits with blistering ballstriking from both. Naomi served well and found the winners when it mattered, and she'll feel chuffed to get through this relatively comfortably in the third. I lost track of how many times she smiled, just so nice to see her enjoying herself like this.

Qinwen is, like, 85% of the way there. She'll probably get hot and win something big in the next 12-18 months. It's all there, but for me it's the counter-attacking that's the most impressive. Some of the winners she found from defensive positions were Serena-esque. Naomi was clearly impressed.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My girl Qinwen played so well from the baseline, but her serve let her down there at the end. Osaka will have a great hardcourt season (again) if she plays like this

·
Registered
285 Posts
If Abdul is back on Naomi's team I'm hoping he can get her back in 2018/2019 condition.
Naomi needs more than just her serve to do well in the tournaments she wants to do well in. She needs that extra step to get behind the ball like she did a few years ago.

·
Registered
Maja Chwalińska❤️
540 Posts
high level on both sides, I don't think anyone would want to hit Qinwen and Naomi during uso

Reactions: comotMN
1 - 20 of 54 Posts