Tennis Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

Registered
Well done to Paula! :cheer: Glad to see her finding her form back. Leads H2H with Coco 2-1 now.

Coco still has these ups and downs but they are expected at her age I guess.

Registered
I had Gauff down to win this tournament given her first two matches. It is slightly concerning how many matches she loses when she loses the first set. She often tends to lose the second set handily.

Registered
Despite rumours to the contrary maybe the '97 girls aren't quite washed up just yet. :oh:

Hopefully Dasha can find serve from somewhere for the next match. Though been hoping for that for a while to be fair.:uncheer:

Registered
I鈥檓 catching up on the match - it was played much earlier in the day, conditions were much faster and Gauff wasn鈥檛 able to control her forehand as well as she did the night before.

Registered
Disappointing that Coco could not beat one of the more unstable top 10 players (one who lost to Jodie Burrage and then nearly lost to Mandlik ranked outside the top 200).

Particularly disappointing after Coco had brushed Badosa Gibert aside with ease in Doha. Perhaps Badosa Gibert is going to be a player Gauff will struggle against as their H2H extends.

If Badosa Gibert MUST have one of her good weeks (bleugh) then I think she will probably beat Kasatkina in the SF. She now has a great chance to pick up another title.. but let鈥檚 remember: she lost to Jodie Burrage in straight sets not that long ago, so nothing can be underestimated :angel:

Registered
This forum is so funny to me.
It mostly hates Naomi, think she's washed up, a shadow of her former self, but when Coco beats her it's some massive achievement and they all board the hype train.
Coco loses a match and they all suddenly remember how bad her forehand is.

馃ぁ馃拃馃ぁ馃拃馃ぁ

Registered
Its not just this forum. Somebody at Osaka/Gauff said the atmosphere was electric with 2 big stars
Unfortunately Osaka is worthless now and Gauff is a slamless hype
Between them they have no titles this year
Badosa was such a worthless piece of garbage in her slam losses to Keys and Halep, you almost forget that once in a while she's okay
Good SFs coming

Registered
VAMOS PAULLLAAAAAAAAAAA

That first set might have been the highest level I've seen from both of them. Cori's double faults on key moments were weird but her ground game was excellent and I thought this week is the best I've seen her play, and the commentator said he agreed.

I am SO proud of Paula. The last match was a complete shitfest but she gritted her way through, and this one reminded me of the one against Petra at Wimbledon. I'm so glad her good attitude seems to be back :inlove: Her on-court demeanor is weird, but her passion for playing tennis is really great for the tour if she can keep it going.
Was it ? Badosa was being more aggressive than usual, but was not really hurting Coco, because even when she hits harder she goes backwards, and Coco was fine, while Badosa was misfiring a lot. Her court position is not assertive by any means, as she lacks a transition game and refuses to go up to the net to take advantage of her firepower (this is why Halep trashes her, as she can't overpower her and finally goes into BBB mode because she can't stay with her in long rallies). She did well in hanging on and refused to give up, while Coco collapsed serving for the set at 5-4. Paula played a brilliant TB and Coco fell apart in the second set, with her FH on Muguruza's level of awfulness.

I think Paula competed very well, because these days, and with the lack of consistency and medicocre peaks of top players, it's hard not to have a chance to get back into a match if you hang on, but I don't think it was an impressive match from Paula, and certainly awful from Coco from 5-4.

Registered
That was the problem early on; she was CRACKING them but still fairly safe placement so Cori was absorbing them no problem. But she stuck with it and the strategy worked. I have also seen her in person at Roland Garros and she's one of the most powerful women I've seen; I had actually forgotten and then was quite blown away watching her this year. I agree that she usually plays too safe but my objection was to you saying she "isn't a big hitter" because she actually does have tremendous power.

Most of the richest countries seem to have serious issues producing talent. I feel like they over coach and coddle the players too much to make them really hungry. The USTA especially basically tries to make all its players fit a certain mold. But France has been stalling for years, Australia got lucky to have once in a generation talents with BARTY and KYRGIOS but otherwise hasn't had much, and Sweet Emma is the only notable player to have come through the LTA system (and even she is becoming very notorious for doing things her own way).
I think Stephens and Kenin fit that bill.

However, I think part of it comes down to poor selection choices. The LTA have funded careers of quite a few players who were never going to make it big but kept funding them for years (O'Brien, South etc), when that money could have gone to better use, they need to be more ruthless. E.g Dart is 26, and is still being supported by the LTA, there comes a time when you have to cut the cord. I dont even think they got value for money out of Konta. Unfourtantely Robson's career was wrecked by injury, but they took a massive gamble on pumping heaps of resources in her career, and it never paid off.

Tennis Australia have been guilty of the same thing, they have poured a lot of resources into players who just became duds (Sophie Ferguson springs to mind), they also lost out with Dokic but their money spent on Barty, Stosur and even Molik really paid dividends so there has also been good selection choices, if you consider the titles they won (and Molik probably could have achieved more), some of it is down to luck, like you say Barty is a natural talent and would have succeeded anywhere, however Stosur and Molik were willing to work hard.

Reactions: iGOAT

Registered
Great stuff Paula, a new World No. 3! On her way back to where she belongs :cheer:
Some people here tend to forget, that Coco is still a very young and vulnerable player. That loss was not random for her by any means.

Registered
Oh Coco, honey, no. :uncheer:

There are those who will claim that there is no shame in the world #11 losing to the #4, but these people are wrong! PBG is such a basic Betty that any player with any dreams of achieving anything at all should be swatting her aside. This woman lost to Gracheva.

Registered
Team Vika
I think Stephens and Kenin fit that bill.

However, I think part of it comes down to poor selection choices. The LTA have funded careers of quite a few players who were never going to make it big but kept funding them for years (O'Brien, South etc), when that money could have gone to better use, they need to be more ruthless. E.g Dart is 26, and is still being supported by the LTA, there comes a time when you have to cut the cord. I dont even think they got value for money out of Konta. Unfourtantely Robson's career was wrecked by injury, but they took a massive gamble on pumping heaps of resources in her career, and it never paid off.

Tennis Australia have been guilty of the same thing, they have poured a lot of resources into players who just became duds (Sophie Ferguson springs to mind), they also lost out with Dokic but their money spent on Barty, Stosur and even Molik really paid dividends so there has also been good selection choices, if you consider the titles they won (and Molik probably could have achieved more), some of it is down to luck, like you say Barty is a natural talent and would have succeeded anywhere, however Stosur and Molik were willing to work hard.
How do you know that the LTA is still funding DART ? I thought I read they only fund players until they're 23. I was wondering if they're funding Katie too but assumed not for that reason.

I do mostly agree, but it does get very iffy when they get selective about who to fund. They looked foolish for not giving KONTA more support, for instance.

Registered
Team Vika
Was it ? Badosa was being more aggressive than usual, but was not really hurting Coco, because even when she hits harder she goes backwards, and Coco was fine, while Badosa was misfiring a lot. Her court position is not assertive by any means, as she lacks a transition game and refuses to go up to the net to take advantage of her firepower (this is why Halep trashes her, as she can't overpower her and finally goes into BBB mode because she can't stay with her in long rallies). She did well in hanging on and refused to give up, while Coco collapsed serving for the set at 5-4. Paula played a brilliant TB and Coco fell apart in the second set, with her FH on Muguruza's level of awfulness.

I think Paula competed very well, because these days, and with the lack of consistency and medicocre peaks of top players, it's hard not to have a chance to get back into a match if you hang on, but I don't think it was an impressive match from Paula, and certainly awful from Coco from 5-4.
I think I was a bit excited in the moment but yes I do think it was some of the best I've seen her play. She was really asserting herself with groundstrokes and I agree that her court positioning and fairly timid shot placement led her to lose many points that she had control of early on due to huge power. But she kept believing in herself and going for it (often she's gotten scared in those situations and resorted to pushing, or dumb BBB), plus raised her serve level later in the set when she needed to. It reminded me of the Petra match at Wimbledon where she wasn't perfect but hung in there well after going down early and then ultimately made her opponent crack, and fully took advantage. Very good imo, plus she avoided having her own lapse as she has done too many times this year.

Registered
How do you know that the LTA is still funding DART ? I thought I read they only fund players until they're 23. I was wondering if they're funding Katie too but assumed not for that reason.

I do mostly agree, but it does get very iffy when they get selective about who to fund. They looked foolish for not giving KONTA more support, for instance.
According to their LTA profile, both are being coached by the LTA performance team but you could be right, that might be coming out of their own pocket. Its the same in Aus, turn 24 and your out.

I take my hat off to Konta, she worked her arse off and toiled the ITFs for years but I think the LTA took her as far as they could given her mechanical game, she was fortunate to get the support she was afforded.

I do wish there is more transparency on why certain players are being propped up for years by these Tennis Federations (it aint going to happen though).

Reactions: iGOAT

Registered
However, I think part of it comes down to poor selection choices. The LTA have funded careers of quite a few players who were never going to make it big ... I dont even think they got value for money out of Konta.

Tennis Australia have been guilty of the same thing...
LTA and Tennis Australia both failed to recognise and develop the talents of Konta. Ironically it was the Spanish who were twice responsible for making Konta's career happen. At the age of 14 Konta was invited to attend the Sanchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona for 15 months (like a young Andy Murray) having been rejected by Tennis Australia (during which time Konta's parent relocated to London and then Eastbourne).

Konta then received minimal funding from LTA until 2012, when she reached 21, as she struggled to get British citizenship despite living in the UK with her parents since she was 14. During this time, per parents ran up big debts funding her privately (and Konta had no choice but to play under the Australian flag).

In 2015, the LTA dramatically cut Konta's funding but her career was again saved by Spanish coaches Esteban Carril and (sports psychologist) Juan Coto, based in Northern Spain. Shortly after that Konta had her big breakthrough, taking her from 150 to 4 in the world and 6 years as British number, when she was predominately a top 15 player.

Registered
Team Vika
According to their LTA profile, both are being coached by the LTA performance team but you could be right, that might be coming out of their own pocket. Its the same in Aus, turn 24 and your out.

I take my hat off to Konta, she worked her arse off and toiled the ITFs for years but I think the LTA took her as far as they could given her mechanical game, she was fortunate to get the support she was afforded.

I do wish there is more transparency on why certain players are being propped up for years by these Tennis Federations (it aint going to happen though).
Well I think you may be right because I had gotten the impression that Harriet and Katie are LTA funded based on their relationships with the coaching staff and how they seem to have no real schedule limitations despite fairly modest earnings. I just read the thing about LTA funding until players turn 24 somewhere, but maybe it also got delayed in their cases due to covid or other factors.

Reactions: swimmer_kid
61 - 80 of 99 Posts