Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,013 Posts
To me, she's underperformed all year. No truly terrible loss all season, yes, though that Ruse blip was weird. But no real highlight either, eh? Being in the YEC race is totally meaningless, considering the low bar the women have set for themselves. But considering Coco was my pick to win this title, Paula beating to reach only her fourth SF of the year was impressive.
I have mixed feelings. I agree that it's felt like she has underperformed (other than Sydney). But again we should remember that she had been a journeywoman for years before her sudden rise last year. Even before Indian Wells last year, people were buzzing about her potential but the top ten seemed a long way off. So even with the low bar (which admittedly is quite low :tape: ), I think it's pretty impressive that she's actually been one of the most consistent players on tour. But yes I sure hope she can raise her level more too.

·
Registered
34,843 Posts
It was enough to get her to the RG final. And before you say that she got lucky with the collapsed draw... well, lucky or not, you still need to be able to take advantage of a good draw in the first place.
That’s just the thing though. The tour is incredibly week right now. Mandlik showed it this week. She’s a 25-60k level player, and beat some tour “regulars.” Gauff, to her credit, is consistently better than player outside the top25, but also consistently worse than the tour’s top25. She’s grossly over ranked due to her lucky draw at RG, which has extra weight due to there being no points at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
Ball Bash City Samsonova Rybakina Yastremska
1,909 Posts
Well that Guaff playing at this level is unbeatable talk lasted all of 24 hours. And to think Mandlik served for the match against Badosa twice - Unbelievable!

Gotta give Dosa credit, you don't want to play her in a tiebreaker this year

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Gauff was really good yesterday and today for maybe 4-5 games.
I don't think that Badosa hits bigger than Osaka - does she? More consistent?
Also, do we get more matches nowadays where 1st set looser just gives up in the second, or it is just my imagination?
Badosa isn’t a big hitter. She’s a serve - pusher; does everything fine but nothing special (someone on TF has a good name for it but I can’t quite remember it). Her consistency causes Gauff trouble the same way Kerber Halep etc do

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,013 Posts
Badosa isn’t a big hitter. She’s a serve - pusher; does everything fine but nothing special (someone on TF has a good name for it but I can’t quite remember it). Her consistency causes Gauff trouble the same way Kerber Halep etc do
Did you watch this match ? Her groundstrokes were massive in the first set; it was a rare occasion where she seemed committed to going for them and believed in herself enough to stick with it even though it wasn't working at first.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Exactly...
You beat me to it...
Coco beat a Part-Time Player (who didn't care if she won or lost), and Coco is delusional enough to think that she could beat Paula?
Osaka's "level" is barely above Pickleball...
And, Gauff was channelling an ITF Lucky Loser...
Too funny...
Once fragile and rusty Osaka had the crowd try to uplift her down 5-1 in the 2nd her facial expressions changed and she began spanking Coco. She ran out of time down 5-4. The rusty part timer would have obliterated Gauff if she was in the right mental state all match. Thats how big a joke Gauff is.

·
Registered
725 Posts
So much hype! Get back to me when her shaky forehand and her poor serve have improved. USA has NO ONE, literally NO ONE with potential to win slams. Let the European girls keep on winning, or maybe Bianca if she gets her act together🤷‍♂️
I dont think American tennis is in the depth of despair, I dont think you can rule out Coco and Amanda just yet as GS champs in this era, I am with the consensus that Gauff is over-hyped but both her and Amanda are still young and have loads of time to improve. I think in about 18 months we will have a better idea of where they are both heading. There is also the possibilty of Kenin returning to her 2020 form (unlikely at this point though)

That said, I agree with the broader view that American tennis is not like it once was (Davenport, Williams etc), it does make you wonder where all this USTA money is going? Two promising players and only two slam champs in the past five years (both of whom have not lived up to expectation) is not a great look for an organisation with money to burn for the development and growth of American players. In contrast you have these Europeans who dont have the luxury of coming from countries with big tennis federations (where its more grass roots) achieving great things.

·
Registered
521 Posts
To me, she's underperformed all year. No truly terrible loss all season, yes, though that Ruse blip was weird. But no real highlight either, eh? Being in the YEC race is totally meaningless, considering the low bar the women have set for themselves. But considering Coco was my pick to win this title, Paula beating to reach only her fourth SF of the year was impressive.
To me shes overperformed all year. She was 28 in live rankings pre French Open & that cupcake draw opened doors for her. 28 is more accurate regarding her current level.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Did you watch this match ? Her groundstrokes were massive in the first set; it was a rare occasion where she seemed committed to going for them and believed in herself enough to stick with it even though it wasn't working at first.
Haven’t watched the match yet.

It’s not so much that her ground strokes lack pace, they are just generally high margin and very safe.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Coco's FH is a counter-punching FH, and Naomi provided all the pace yesterday. Paula gave her spinny FHs and off went Coco's game. Maybe this is where an experienced coach could have helped Naomi. Then again, it's not like Naomi can do anything else besides bash

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,013 Posts
Haven’t watched the match yet.

It’s not so much that her ground strokes lack pace, they are just generally high margin and very safe.
That was the problem early on; she was CRACKING them but still fairly safe placement so Cori was absorbing them no problem. But she stuck with it and the strategy worked. I have also seen her in person at Roland Garros and she's one of the most powerful women I've seen; I had actually forgotten and then was quite blown away watching her this year. I agree that she usually plays too safe but my objection was to you saying she "isn't a big hitter" because she actually does have tremendous power.

I dont think American tennis is in the depth of despair, I dont think you can rule out Coco and Amanda just yet as GS champs in this era, I am with the consensus that Gauff is over-hyped but both her and Amanda are still young and have loads of time to improve. I think in about 18 months we will have a better idea of where they are both heading. There is also the possibilty of Kenin returning to her 2020 form (unlikely at this point though)

That said, I agree with the broader view that American tennis is not like it once was (Davenport, Williams etc), it does make you wonder where all this USTA money is going? Two promising players and only two slam champs in the past five years (both of whom have not lived up to expectation) is not a great look for an organisation with money to burn for the development and growth of American players. In contrast you have these Europeans who dont have the luxury of coming from countries with big tennis federations (where its more grass roots) achieving great things.
Most of the richest countries seem to have serious issues producing talent. I feel like they over coach and coddle the players too much to make them really hungry. The USTA especially basically tries to make all its players fit a certain mold. But France has been stalling for years, Australia got lucky to have once in a generation talents with BARTY and KYRGIOS but otherwise hasn't had much, and Sweet Emma is the only notable player to have come through the LTA system (and even she is becoming very notorious for doing things her own way).

41 - 60 of 99 Posts