Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,183 Posts
Not as many winners as I would have expected from the winner. Was Paola just letting Coco self implode? I’m yet to place Paolas game in a category. Would you call her a power grinder something like what Azarenka was ?? Deep shots with decent pace but not really going for the lines or winners a lot

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
How much do they pay Lindsay Davenport to rain unwarranted praise and hype for Gauff?
Yeah, she has to reign it in.....and I like Coco. We get it Lindsay, ....but man, put a sock in it girl.:silly:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
So much hype! Get back to me when her shaky forehand and her poor serve have improved. USA has NO ONE, literally NO ONE with potential to win slams. Let the European girls keep on winning, or maybe Bianca if she gets her act together🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Not as many winners as I would have expected from the winner. Was Paola just letting Coco self implode? I’m yet to place Paolas game in a category. Would you call her a power grinder something like what Azarenka was ?? Deep shots with decent pace but not really going for the lines or winners a lot
It's hard to hit winners when your opponent is double faulting all the time and if not, just falling victim to forced errors.. when Badosa hit winners, they were BIG ones like the TB passing shot.

·
Registered
34,843 Posts
Coco looked so good in her first two matches at this tournament, a shame that today did not turn out to be as competitive as one would have hoped. She undoubtedly had the upper hand for the first half of that match but Badosa showed resilience and took advantage of the choking as she did in the Mandlik match. 2022 TB record now 11-2
iit’s always the same story. Gauff wins a match or two against opponents that should probably go down to the challengers for practice, and her fans go nuts/think she’s invincible. The reality is that she still has the same issues with her serve and FH that she’s had since she got on tour

·
Registered
20,239 Posts
Really thought after that early break that Coco would take this. Nice to see Paula notch a big win for the first time in a while. She’s been mostly in and out of looking like a contender this season (mostly out). Maybe the second half will bring some nice highs again.

Still optimistic about Coco’s HC season though. I’m personally expecting a competitive showing in the Tier Is and the Open.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Thanks Paula! 🥰 Hilarious how overhyped Coco was after beating a part time player the previous round. She still hasn't won a title all year.
Exactly...
You beat me to it...
Coco beat a Part-Time Player (who didn't care if she won or lost), and Coco is delusional enough to think that she could beat Paula?
Osaka's "level" is barely above Pickleball...
And, Gauff was channelling an ITF Lucky Loser...
Too funny...

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
iit’s always the same story. Gauff wins a match or two against opponents that should probably go down to the challengers for practice, and her fans go nuts/think she’s invincible. The reality is that she still has the same issues with her serve and FH that she’s had since she got on tour
It was enough to get her to the RG final. And before you say that she got lucky with the collapsed draw... well, lucky or not, you still need to be able to take advantage of a good draw in the first place.

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,007 Posts
Really thought after that early break that Coco would take this. Nice to see Paula notch a big win for the first time in a while. She’s been mostly in and out of looking like a contender this season (mostly out). Maybe the second half will bring some nice highs again.

Still optimistic about Coco’s HC season though. I’m personally expecting a competitive showing in the Tier Is and the Open.
The one against Petra at Wimbledon was one of the biggest of her career due to it being on Centre Court against a two time champion, even if it was 2022 Petra. Paula has honestly done a pretty decent job of showing up to big matches this year but her issue has been ones like MANDLIK here or some of those early ones in the clay season where she seems unprepared for, and then shellshocked by, opponents she "should" beat on paper and either goes down or exhausts herself for the later rounds. And she apparently can't solve Simona. But otherwise her year has still been pretty strong; she's clearly been top eight so far, which is pretty impressive given that no one really saw her as being that level until Indian Wells last fall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gauff was really good yesterday and today for maybe 4-5 games.
I don't think that Badosa hits bigger than Osaka - does she? More consistent?
Also, do we get more matches nowadays where 1st set looser just gives up in the second, or it is just my imagination?

·
Rise up from ignorance
25,847 Posts

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I really can’t take to Badosa at all and she keeps winning which is worse.

I just feel like she is so beatable but she will show up somewhere and win a title of make a final out or no where.

·
Registered
20,239 Posts
The one against Petra at Wimbledon was one of the biggest of her career due to it being on Centre Court against a two time champion, even if it was 2022 Petra. Paula has honestly done a pretty decent job of showing up to big matches this year but her issue has been ones like MANDLIK here or some of those early ones in the clay season where she seems unprepared for, and then shellshocked by, opponents she "should" beat on paper and either goes down or exhausts herself for the later rounds. And she apparently can't solve Simona. But otherwise her year has still been pretty strong; she's clearly been top eight so far, which is pretty impressive given that no one really saw her as being that level until Indian Wells last fall.
To me, she's underperformed all year. No truly terrible loss all season, yes, though that Ruse blip was weird. But no real highlight either, eh? Being in the YEC race is totally meaningless, considering the low bar the women have set for themselves. But considering Coco was my pick to win this title, Paula beating to reach only her fourth SF of the year was impressive.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts