Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Huge win for Paula, the new World No. 3 !
Gauff served for Set 1 but made 3 (!) DFs in the game to concede the break... Then in the TB made 2 DFs in a row to lose the set.
Gauff in Set 2 was a UE machine, 6 UEs or something to start the set...

Paula will now face Dasha in the Semis, should be the favorite to make the final!
MP and reaction:
Flash photography Eyewear Elbow Entertainment Electric blue

Stats (14 UE Gauff to 3 UE Badosa) in Set 2:
Purple Font Magenta Screenshot Rectangle

Attachments

·
Rise up from ignorance
25,774 Posts
What a way to silence the crowd :lol2: Gauff choked the first set with DF and her FH was back to the usual trash in the second. Paula has a good chance to make the final if Kasatkina's woeful serve shows up in SF. Vamos! :cheer:

·
Registered
140 Posts
For anyone who thought Coco’s forehand issues were over, please watch this second set. It was dreadful. That being said… VAMOS PAULA! Great defense and pretty good serving. She was super aggressive in that first set tiebreak. Also came back from 3-5 down. Love to see it. Coco is still overhyped. I meeeeaaannn….. she played an out of form Osaka who couldn’t buy a first serve. Which pretty much meant she was on defense the whole match. We all know Osaka can’t run for the life of her. And of course the commentators proceed to hype Coco up even more. She served well against Naomi but I honestly think a lot of players in the top 50 would’ve beaten her with the way she was playing. Paula is a real top 10 player despite what people think on this forum. This isn’t a great season for her so far, but it’s top 10 level for sure. She’s consistently winning A LOT of matches. Even when she’s not playing her best.

·
Registered
Team Vika
47,959 Posts
VAMOS PAULLLAAAAAAAAAAA

That first set might have been the highest level I've seen from both of them. Cori's double faults on key moments were weird but her ground game was excellent and I thought this week is the best I've seen her play, and the commentator said he agreed.

I am SO proud of Paula. The last match was a complete shitfest but she gritted her way through, and this one reminded me of the one against Petra at Wimbledon. I'm so glad her good attitude seems to be back :inlove: Her on-court demeanor is weird, but her passion for playing tennis is really great for the tour if she can keep it going.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Oh yes :cheer:

Once Paula got into it she played well. Some great ball striking at the end of the first, and a huge improvement over her first round catastrophe.

No shade, but it’s impressive that Coco has climbed as far as she has considering her forehand and second serve.

·
Registered
Team Vika
47,959 Posts
Oh and as a bonus, Paula helps ensure that Sweet Emma will stay in the top ten, and likely move up to number nine if she can beat Daria :tears::hearts:

• Love
Reactions: BlueTrees

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
I thought both played well until 5-4 in the 1st, but Coco's game quickly deteriorated.

First the serve went haywire when serving for the match, and then threw in a couple more DFs in the TB to hand the set to Badosa. Her FH was the next thing to go in the 2nd, and at that point, it was GSM and back to the drawing board for Gauff.

That running BH pass in the TB from Badosa though chefs kiss.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Coco looked so good in her first two matches at this tournament, a shame that today did not turn out to be as competitive as one would have hoped. She undoubtedly had the upper hand for the first half of that match but Badosa showed resilience and took advantage of the choking as she did in the Mandlik match. 2022 TB record now 11-2

·
Registered
615 Posts
Coco lost it after 3 DFs in one game that turned a 5-4 lead to 5-5, then 2DFs in the last 2 points of TB to lose 7-6. She couldn't get it out of her head, esp. the TB. Immediately lost serve at the start of 2nd set, held once, lost serve again. Needs more mental toughness.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What a weird end of this match by coco. She was striking the ball so well in the first set but then 2 double faults in a row and after that she couldn’t hit a forehand even if her life depended on it. For me that was a mental loss. Physically she was the better player by far imo but paula just outtoughened her. Coco should forget about being a us open contender. When your form can decline so fast and at such a steep rate there is no way you can win 7 matches in a row. More work needs to be done for her to live up to the hype.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Ew. Not a good loss for Coco. These mental breakdowns and walkabouts at the worst time…
Paula really didn’t do much… it’s insane she is Top 5. I just don’t see it with her.
I know myself and many others give Coco shit about issues in her game, but she literally just turned 18 this spring. Most all the girls she is losing to have wayyyy more experience. And most were nowhere near her level at 18. Something to continue to keep in mind. But most TF’ers won’t and will just call her trash and that she has no game and is overrated. Cuz of course, most girls are reaching GS finals, winning titles and are Top 10 by that age.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Strong hitting from the stunning Badosa. Coco crumbled after dropping set 1 from a winning position....just mentally unraveled with a boat load of errors. Badosa keeps winning matches....her 29th of the year. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Didn't see the match but the double faults on set points is what made MCOS lose against Emma Raducanu yesterday.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts