·
Registered
29,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow SAI was motivated to defend 2018 Nanchang and DC points :cheer:

·
Registered
21,226 Posts
San Jose SF: Zheng Saisai def. (7) Sakkari 7-6 (5) 6-2 makes maiden premier final!

Wow, too solid. Sakkari too erratic otoh.

·
Registered
115,517 Posts
Re: San Jose SF: Zheng Saisai def. (7) Sakkari 7-6 (5) 6-2 makes maiden premier final

Very strong week for Zheng. WTA need her to be in form after NYC

·
Registered
87,420 Posts
:facepalm:

WTA 2019 :help:

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Zheng was very very passive with great defence and Sakkari made a lot of easy errors.

SaiSai can play more aggressive and I saw some matches she was going way more for winners and actually made them.
Probably it's her tactic right now, what is more successful and it's confirmed by this result.

Reactions: Peachmelba

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Wow, this is the first time an asian female player has made the wta finals!! Woohooo go Zheng!
No, she was in the final of WTA Nanchang last year.

·
Registered
21,226 Posts
Zheng was very very passive with great defence and Sakkari made a lot of easy errors.

SaiSai can play more aggressive and I saw some matches she was going way more for winners and actually made them.
Probably it's her tactic right now, what is more successful and it's confirmed by this result.
I think balance is key. Today Sakkari kinda ended the points prematurely for her, she didn't need to exactly try to overwhelm except mentally. Her depth of shot and pace change can be underestimated as well. It wasn't an easy case of her coughing up attackable balls all the time.

I do agree she will need to ramp up to play Sabalenka or Vekic next. But whatever she is doing this week has been working. Bagelling Collins :lol:

·
Registered
21,226 Posts
Sakkari wasn't even trying in the end. Awful performance.
Maybe that Svitolina comeback from behind victory zapped the core out of her.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I must say Saisai was no joke today !

Great wall of china, Sakkari just couldn't hit throught ! and blasting UE because of frustration

against such a brainless player that could turn into a massacre... even at the end Sakkari choked the last game for fun, cause she was without any solution.

Takes initiative is good but... you cant win a match with such amount of error ( few were very cheap )

after this match thinks only a tall hard hitter can beat Saisai this week...

·
Registered
14,951 Posts
Congrats to Saisai finally beating good players to reach a final.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Oh Maria... 8 DFs, forty-something unforced errors. I dunno if it was some combo of SaiSai's defence (well... pushing :lol:) or fatigue from yesterday's marathon, but she was extremely messy on court today.

Outside of China, SaiSai obviously plays well in SoCa with her record last year and this year. Still alive in the dubs too! That moonball + sneaking up to the net combo has been working for her all week. Whoever she plays in the final needs to do her homework and be ready to anticipate that because she caught Sakkari and Anisimova off guard with it so many times.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The scary/impressive thing is that SaiSai has no reason not to feel confident against either Vekic or Sabalenka in the final. She knows how to unnerve a player like Sabalenka who is never far away from a meltdown these days, and Vekic is a walking bye in finals at the best of times, let alone against a moonballing pusher. It sounds silly to say it but we are very, very close to having SaiSai being a premier champion. And honestly, she's played a fantastic week, so it's hard to say it's undeserved.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts