Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Ok, so I hesitate to put this out there, but...........I saw this earlier and was like "Nah, the family will try to keep that info from reaching her." But what if? I mean, Serena just wasn't there at all tonight....
I knew that murderer was gonna get out this year, but it was today? YIKES. Well, if she was thinking about that, then maybe it had a bit to do with her being unfocused tonight and losing the way that she did. She just didn't CARE tonight. Maybe she just wanted off the court. Not the whole reason she lost, but something for sure to do with her motivation tonight, or lack of it to play.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I knew that murderer was gonna get out this year, but it was today? YIKES. Well, if she was thinking about that, then maybe it had a bit to do with her being unfocused tonight and losing the way that she did. Not the whole reason, but some maybe.
That's the thing, there are conflicting reports as to whether he was actually out earlier this year and re-arrested over the weekend, but the news of his release hit today. Like, that was the entire headline for the whole day and People reported within the hour that he might be back in jail. But I saw it earlier and thought "Oh, no..."

And you're right, it wouldn't be the whole reason for tonight. But dang, if it already had her in a bad place, then bad play on top of it all and it would explain a lot. :hug:

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Has she ever lost this bad?

·
Registered
159 Posts
OMG, waking up with these news ?
Well, I mean, it was not worse than her double match in wimbledon 2014 ?

What happened ?
She was supposed to be in great shape physically / mentally after her family time in Italy and with Super Mackie being around there in san Jose.
Everyone was confident.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
OMG, waking up with these news ?
Well, I mean, it was not worse than her double match in wimbledon 2014 ?

What happened ?
She was supposed to be in great shape physically / mentally after her family time in Italy and with Super Mackie being around there in san Jose.
Everyone was confident.
NO, she didn't play well at all. But, there MAY be a partial reason why she played so horribly on Tuesday Night. She looked like she wanted to be anywhere but on that tennis court tonight (And the length of that sentence :help:).

Killer of Serena and Venus Williams' Half-Sister, Yetunde Price, Released from Prison | TMZ.com

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Montreal starts Monday August 6th. Short week, short memory. Was the Halep WTA finals match equally this bad?

We all know how Yetunde’s murder affected Serena and how it stayed with her for years. I don’t know if any of that had to do with today’s match. But peace and all the thoughts to Yetunde’s family right now.

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
Clearly a lot going on with her which is understandable with this recent news. I think there is a Wimbledon hangover going on as well. At this point I only view the tour events as practice for her. I've never expected her to go all out at these anymore. So on to the next. USO is the goal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just saw pics of the match... omg, it’s the same dress than in Wimbledon, but she looks heavier in the red one !
She’s still overweighted. She lost weight between Miami and RG, but it’s not enough. She does’t have the body of an athlete, let’s be honest.

I don’t know if it was the problem, I think she just had 0 ambition for this tournament.
Ambition is something more and more difficult to find.
But Serena is able to surprise us, so I’m still confident.

·
Registered
84,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I am under shock.

·
Registered
84,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

·
Registered
84,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Serena Williams

"I'm taking everything a day at a time. I think she played better in this match than she did in about 18 months, so I think that's a good thing for her. I know I can play a zillion times better, so that kind of helps out too.

"I have so many things on my mind, I don't have time to be shocked about a loss. I clearly wasn't at my best. I can only try to be there. When I was out there, I was fighting. I wasn't just giving it away. I was moving a lot better - I'm just trying to take the positives."

"I think she played well in the second set. I think I wasn't sharp at all in the first set, and I think she got confident, and she clearly ran away with it."

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just saw pics of the match... omg, it’s the same dress than in Wimbledon, but she looks heavier in the red one !
She’s still overweighted. She lost weight between Miami and RG, but it’s not enough. She does’t have the body of an athlete, let’s be honest.

I don’t know if it was the problem, I think she just had 0 ambition for this tournament.
Ambition is something more and more difficult to find.
But Serena is able to surprise us, so I’m still confident.
I think the problem is the dress. The style is really not her type of a dress, because she looks fine in other dresses and training attire

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
The match was beyond bizarre. She looked ultra sharp in the beginning, then it all went downhill once she served at the sunny end for the first time. I've never seen her level drop so drastically before.

Movement into the BH corner got completely exposed. Ball toss was all over the place, even when she wasn't at the sunny end. Made no effort to problem solve as the match was spiraling out of control. Worst part was the end of the 1st set when she was taking ~5 seconds in between her service points and had a shellshocked look on her face. I've never been more uncomfortable watching her. :help:

Two options after this:
-- Locks herself in her room and speaks to no one but Olympia for the next 2 days.
-- Lets Mackie whoop her ass into shape harder than he's ever done before.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think option #1 would be most effective. :eek:

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
Two options after this:
-- Locks herself in her room and speaks to no one but Olympia for the next 2 days.
-- Lets Mackie whoop her ass into shape harder than he's ever done before.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think option #1 would be most effective. :eek:
Just saw this posted 20 minutes ago:

http://instagr.am/p/Bl8EfS9FpCX/
Yetunde shirt? Or is there a different aunt who's a nurse? :unsure::sad:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am already contextualizing this loss as the "before" part of the montage that shows how she eventually won a title post-surgery.

"There was the straight sets defeat in a Grand Slam final. Then there was the worst loss of her career, a match in which she only won one game. But despite the early exits and disappointment, Serena Williams, owner of 23 Grand Slam titles, finds herself back where she's always been..."

(Cue Explosions in the Sky music.)

:tears:

Have faith, y'all!

61 - 80 of 108 Posts