Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How great was that serving exhibition?!? Serena Williams has had the best serve in the women's game for a few years now, because of her variety and disguise and power combination, as well as smart placement, however, it seems like she's not satisfied with that- she wants to kick it up to the next level of serving prowess and go for the Sampras clouds- being able to come into a big match on a big stage and be able to serve a quality opponent right off the court at will. Kudos to the great Serena Williams for not being satisfied!:worship:

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
That was an awesome display indeed! The best serve in tennis right now on the women´s field without ANY competition!! I´m even inclined to say that it is right up there with Steffi and Martina for best all time.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bandabou said:
That was an awesome display indeed! The best serve in tennis right now on the women´s field without ANY competition!! I´m even inclined to say that it is right up there with Steffi and Martina for best all time.
She has a better serve than Steffi Graf (yes, you heard it from me!)- Steffi's serve was great because she basically came out and bludgeoned you with pace and placement. She consistently served above 100mph, and I think her fastest (Irma, where are you?) was clocked at 116mph or in that neighborhood, and her placement was excellent. Serena not only has more spin and work on her ball, the result is she can hit a wider variety of serves- like Sampras, all with the same ball toss (have you ever seen Steffi hit an extreme kick second serve?). It's impossible to read Serena's serve if the toss and body stance and delivery remain the same, and the player learns control, placement and spin with the wrist snap. It's what made John McEnroe such a great server as well- and he even threw in the ploy of showing the opponent your back to make them think about it even more. I am very excited to see Serena is not interested in resting on her laurels, and is actually working, and obviously working hard, at getting even better. If she would just hire Billie Jean King for a year, she could be the greatest player EVER in my opinion (and I don't say that lightly)!

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
i have never seen ANY female player serve as well as Serena has done in her last three matches :worship:

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Serena's got something Sampras hasn't -a personality

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
bandabou said:
I'd go one step further and say that Serena's serve is better than Martina's and Steffi's, though Martina did have the advantage of her lefty spin on the serve out wide.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pav said:
Not only unnecessary, but untrue, and I think Serena herself (who thinks the world of Pete Sampras) would say the same thing.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Serena really can serve her opponents off the court...

We've seen tt against Martina Hingis in 2001 at the US Open 2001, and we see it again... :eek:

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
alfajeffster said:
She has a better serve than Steffi Graf (yes, you heard it from me!)- Steffi's serve was great because she basically came out and bludgeoned you with pace and placement. She consistently served above 100mph, and I think her fastest (Irma, where are you?) was clocked at 116mph or in that neighborhood, and her placement was excellent. Serena not only has more spin and work on her ball, the result is she can hit a wider variety of serves- like Sampras, all with the same ball toss (have you ever seen Steffi hit an extreme kick second serve?). It's impossible to read Serena's serve if the toss and body stance and delivery remain the same, and the player learns control, placement and spin with the wrist snap. It's what made John McEnroe such a great server as well- and he even threw in the ploy of showing the opponent your back to make them think about it even more. I am very excited to see Serena is not interested in resting on her laurels, and is actually working, and obviously working hard, at getting even better. If she would just hire Billie Jean King for a year, she could be the greatest player EVER in my opinion (and I don't say that lightly)!

Wow.....I´m impressed. I knew Serena and her serve are good, but your words impress me even more about them!!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bandabou said:
Wow.....I´m impressed. I knew Serena and her serve are good, but your words impress me even more about them!!
Tennis won today!!!!:bounce:

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
definately best ever serve and best ever player when shes in the zone

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,957 Posts
pav said:
And big butt. Sampras had none..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
serena does have a great serve. it's one of her best weapons. yes, and yes.

but today? she had three aces. three double faults ( jen had 2 ). and she lost a game by double faulting twice at 30-all. is that one of her best? or at least good enough to be an exhibition? maybe i'm wrong but that didn't seem like one of her best. but if you all say so...i must've missed something.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hollywood7172 said:
serena does have a great serve. it's one of her best weapons. yes, and yes.

but today? she had three aces. three double faults ( jen had 2 ). and she lost a game by double faulting twice at 30-all. is that one of her best? or at least good enough to be an exhibition? maybe i'm wrong but that didn't seem like one of her best. but if you all say so...i must've missed something.
There is no statistic for unreturnable serves. Jen getting her racquet on the ball is one thing- actually hitting in the center of the strings, through the strike zone, and back over the net (let alone return placement) is an entirely different concept. How many short ball returns did Serena get to tee off on that were the direct result of great serving?

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I think Serena uses my serve as an inspiration. Wait until she starts chucking down the ping pongs ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts