Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*SIGH* I just logged on to www.mariasharapova.com and memories of 2003 came flooding back.

Checking Anna Kournikova's website for news of her comeback and seeing, Anna has pulled out of such and such tournament. I remember watching her ranking erode out of the Top 50. The following year she was gone!

I know it's not the same with Maria but man it felt like it today!

·
Registered
33,136 Posts
Yeah but Masha is better :p

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
No, actually i don't think this is true... yeah you could find some similarities between them but it's not going to happen anytime in the future! maria has still at least 4-5 more GS in her i'm pretty much sure of that

·
*Sesil*
19,825 Posts
Yes a shoulder injury for Masha, it was a back injury for Kournikova all those years ago.

Didnt Sharapova also say something like she reckoned she would retire early, maybe this is it.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
It would be a shame to lose such a great competitor as Sharapova. I hope she come back soon.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Yes a shoulder injury for Masha, it was a back injury for Kournikova all those years ago.

Didnt Sharapova also say something like she reckoned she would retire early, maybe this is it.
not this early... :(

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
ok sorry, she did say it though
Yeah, but she said that if she had all the achievements that Henin had, she would probably retire as well like Henin.. :sad:

·
Banned
15,787 Posts
Yeah, but she said that if she had all the achievements that Henin had, she would probably retire as well like Henin.. :sad:
Well that would mean 4 more GS for Masha and given her track record ('04, '06, '08) she will be around until 2016:hearts::lol:

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Well that would mean 4 more GS for Masha and given her track record ('04, '06, '08) she will be around until 2016:hearts::lol:
29 years old! That would be perfect.. cos she did guarantee that we won't see her playing at the age of 30.. :sad:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I don't think this will happen with Sharapova, at least not now...yes she said she won't playing for many years, but I dont think she'll retire at 21....besides you can NOT compare Sharapova to Kournikova, I mean, sharapova is just amazing...

Well, i hopes this won't be the same case...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I do not believe that sharapova retires. she is too young and ambitious.
But equally I believe that she was retiring after 23 years like Justine:sad:

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Hey Justine didnt retire at 23! lol

·
Registered
11,023 Posts
these comparisons are soo stupid...history rarely repeats twice I think people also compared her with Tracy Austin cause both won 2 GS in their teen and said that Maria wasn't gonna win another:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Maria ain't retiring any time soon people...she is the WS's biggest competitor, and when she's at her best, she can give them some epic battles!

Wimby final '09, Masha vs. Queen Vee, you heard it here first ;)

·
Registered
705 Posts
well Kournikova's injury was way more serious than Maria's, she got chronic lower back pain, i know what it means, you just can't walk with this kind of pain...

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
3 GS by 21. theres more yet
Hingis. Five GS by age 19. Then .....
Tracy Austin two GS before age 20. Then .....
Martina Navratilova - First GS, age 23.

There ARE no guarantees

1 - 20 of 22 Posts