Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
To be honest, I have a feeling that Sam's going to have her hands full with Ostapenko. Not entirely sure how that match up is going to turn out - and Sam doesn't like opponents she's never seen before. Can't imagine she would have gone out of her way to hit with Ostapenko for practice either

If she can make the QF, that would be completely awesome. But I'm already proud of her for getting into the second week here once more
Sam did beat her at the Olympics. Came back from getting absolutely smoked in the first set to win in 3.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: Sam's French Clay Connection

She did? At Rio? That's a good sign then :cheer:

Do you remember what happened? Did Ostapenko fall apart, or did Sammy work out her game?
I am going to rewatch the match tonight. The score was 1-6 6-3 6-2. I do remember that JO just outhit Sam in the first set. I don't recall sets 2 and 3.

Not sure if this link will work for you.

Samantha Stosur (AUS) vs. Jelena Ostapenko (LAT)

·
Registered
170 Posts

Sam revealed in press that she had a hand injury that started in her doubles match. I watched her presser on France tv and she did say that she is planning on playing Eastbourne, Wimbledon and a couple clay events after Wimbledon. So that means she is playing Gstaad and Bastad.

Hand injury casts shadow over Stosur's Wimbledon plans | Reuters

·
Registered
170 Posts

I'm glad to hear she is likely playing both. I see Gstaad Switzerland is actually first on 17th July and Bastad Sweden is starting 24th July 2017, but no announcement for the former. Their website only has Bacsinszky listed. Sam's ranking may make it tougher for her but I think Sam should focus on healing her hand, even if she skips Eastbourne. I wouldn't worry too much about the grass season, just go and enjoy, and focus on these last two clay events.

I wonder what is wrong with her hand.. And how it got injured...

Edit: Just read the article - sounds like a grip problem. I've had so many hand injuries, it's very tricky. No wonder she couldn't serve. I though it was maybe just an external injury, but sounds internal :scared: No wonder she was hitting those strange backhands, and not making the T serves on the ad side.
Video of her presser.

Sam Stosur out of French Open, drops as Australia's top ranked woman

1 - 20 of 35 Posts