Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm SOOOO excited the games are here!!!!!!!!!
It was such a great opening ceremony tonight and I'm looking foward to these being the best games ever! (At least for me cuz everyone I want is gonna win)!!;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm sorry, but i am excited about the Olypics too and I thonk the Ceremony was so cheesy it could have been so much classier, that whole early pioneer dance was ridiculous. Sorry thats just my opinion

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Well, this is what I posted in General Messages regarding the ceremony...

Ho-down? :confused: That part seemed far more "PC" than the Native American part.

Nice that they acknowledged Native Americans. But it lasted a bit too long.

I know they explained it (needing a song about peace) but why Sting and Yo-yo Ma?

Puppets were nice but seemed like it was some designer saying "Look at the cool puppets I can design."

Lighting very effective. Audience participation, lanterns, those sparks that went flying often, and synchronized fireworks!

Kristi Yamaguchi *sigh* - that whole bit was lovely. Makes me yearn for those days.

Mormon Tabernacle Choir - nice!

John Williams' latest Olympic work - It was only on a short while ago but I don't remember it! :eek:

Obligatory "children" piece not as "obnoxious" as that annoying "When Children Rule the World" song from Nagano. Actually, it wasn't bad at all.

Rogge - could do without that political stuff
Romney - no comment
Dubya - did he look bored to you as the nations marched?

I still don't like the outfits (for the torch bearers). It looks like pyjamas.

And for those who got U.S. coverage: Was Bob Costas being a smartass or what? And his "jokes" were terrible. And Katie Couric looked "old."

And didn't you just "know" that Eruzione would be at the top of those steps to accept the torch?

Sidienote: Every time I see one of these winter games I keep getting images of those Albertville bubble chicks! I can't believe that I miss those!

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
i enjoyed the opening Ceremony as well.:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

·
Banned
692 Posts
I thought the ceremony was Ok. As someone said it is a bit to late to ackknowledge the native americans. Did u see my team? Newzealand??
What where ure best outfits of it--

Russia was good
Venezuela and the phonchos-

All good

Tajikistan flag bearer had a mperer suite on

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
That had to be the BEST ceremony in Olympic history!! WOW I should've taped it.lol

·
Poetic at Heart
3,503 Posts
SLC rocks!!!!

Of all the olympics ceremonies I have seen, this got to be the best ever!!!Loved the Native American and puppet themes..:hearts: And Kristy /Joshep were to die for~:bounce:

Go Michelle kwan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
It is a good ceremony, better than I thought. I am also happy to see Hong Kong finally debut in Winter Olympic, a bit amazing actually hehe

·
Registered
663 Posts
I thought it was okay....I did like the puppets and all. And really glad they included so many Native Americans...that was great.

Hard to beat opening ceremonies since Albertville....that was just too cool.

I got choked up a lot watching it though. I was trying to figure out who might be final torch bearers. For a while there, all the bearers were "survivors" on cancer or of hard times. I really really thought that Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner would be the final bearers. Remember that heartbreak when they had to withdraw because of his groin pull?!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I completely forgot it was on!!!! Damnit!!!

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
It was sooooooooo amaricanized! For an american citizen I guess it's great to see this, but it got annoying after a while!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just think it was all great! I did think I wouldn't like the pioneer stuff, but it worked. It was just great,especially with Michelle Kwan marching, Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dick Button, peggy Flemming.....all having a part in it.
Kristi represented stages of an athletes life, the President sitting with the athletes, many of the countries carrying American flags (something I hadn't expected but a very kind thing to do). Everything felt very together.
Too Americanized? Hardly. Of course there will be segments reflecting particullary the host city, as should be.
But the effects: the ground being ice, etc. It was awesome.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Katie Couric: "Michelle, your gonna be the most watched athlete in these games, good luck!"

hehehe i like how the SLC website says Irina Slutskaya is the big bad wolf who will crash Michelle's fairytale story. GO SLUTE:p :bounce: :drool: !

BTW the ceremony was fantastic, i thought Sydney was something, but SLC was just a touch better, gotta love America;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts