Tennis Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Am i the only one who thinks she just doesn't wanna stay in Russia? She made her appearance, now she wants to go home and prepare for IW/Miami?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, she will never be 100% healthy again. That's sad but true.

I think 2019 is going to be her last. Like Goldlion said: her heart wants to play more, but body and head definitely want to finish this year.
She had a very long off season, a week of break after AO and shoulder is in pain again. And it will be the very same story over and over again.
She has to focus on clay and RG. It's her only chance to gain that one more slam. She has no chance at Wimbledon without serve and USO hasn't been her best Slam lately.
She has no chance at any slam unless she shows she can play a lot of matches within an extended period of time. We all know that girl, she is a creature of habit and when she is lacking match play it shows. Her mental whereabouts during matches are due to that imho; just a lack of match play stemming from neverending injuries. I would like her to win one more GS, but at this point it is extremely unrealistic. when she comes back at IW, don't be surprised if her form has regressed again. I know I won't be.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Am i the only one who thinks she just doesn't wanna stay in Russia? She made her appearance, now she wants to go home and prepare for IW/Miami?
Probably the only one :wink2:

I'm 100% sure she would love to win a title in Russia and she would never brush off such an opportunity without serious reasons. The draw opened for her nicely and she had a chance for a good result. Like Wojcirej said: she's not in a position to be picky where and when she wants to play.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
"I tried to do everything possible to be able to be ready to compete this week, but my right shoulder continues to be an issue for me," Sharapova said to explain her decision.

"I will meet with my team of doctors over the next few days to evaluate the situation, and I look forward to returning to completion as soon as possible."

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/tennis/tennis-shoulder-pain-forces-sharapova-out-of-st-petersburg

Did no-one else read this and think she might mean....surgery? :unsure:
I don't think it's uncommon for her to consult her doctors on shoulder injury. She won't have another surgery in her career, if without a surgery she can't play any more, she'll choose to retire.

·
Registered
52,979 Posts
So annoying that Maria had to give a walkover in St. Petersburg R2 vs Kasatkina :(

Just sad that her shoulder injury never heals completely, makes problems again and again :sad:

I think her shoulder injury is way more serious than we think and Maria says/admits :sobbing:

I bet her shoulder was also responsible for Maria's horrible serving at Aus Open vs Barty in sets 2 and 3 :fiery: A match she could and should have won but her weak serve destroyed her chances to win this Aus Open R4 match :ras:

Maria could have much better results if she was healthy ...
Now we are at a point where Maria is old and she can't even play one full tournament because her shoulder hurts again and again. With such big shoulder problems it looks like 2019 or 2020 will be her last WTA season :tears:

The serve is so important in women's tennis. And gets more and more important. Many women at the Top have a strong/dangerous serve (Serena, Osaka, Kvitova, Pliskova, Bertens, Sevastova, Barty). Maria is no competition with a weak serve.

I don't have much expectations anymore for Maria. Let's enjoy the few matches she still plays. And hope for a miracle healing regarding her shoulder ...

81 - 89 of 89 Posts