Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Milk and honey
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Maria has withdrawn from St Petersburg :tears:

Could tell it was a bad shoulder day in R1 but she must not feel comfortable with where it is at currently. Such a shame as her groundstrokes are looking so nice :sobbing:

Let's hope she can get as close to 100% as possible in time for Indian Wells in about 5 weeks.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
pretend to be shocked gif

now one month of nothing, then if she's lucky with draw a few wins in Indian Wells, than obviously withdraw from Miami.

Oh tennis world italia has reported this quote from her

“Non so per quanto tempo ancora potrò competere da professionista, per questo devo sfruttare l’opportunità di giocare davanti al mio pubblico ancora una volta”

translated

I don't know how long I will be able to compete as a pro, so I have to take advantage of the opportunity to play in my home country once again

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
TBF IW/Miami are big tournaments but they don't build up to anything. If she withdraws from Miami and gives herself an extra couple weeks of shoulder rehab for the clay it might be best given RG is her best chance at another Slam.

The strokes are there, the movement is improved, if she can get her shoulder in shape she can still have good runs.

·
I thought it was odd she didn't practice yesterday. She's obviously just being very strict with her body and not taking any chances.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Shame, but these days not unexpected.
Hopefully, she'll get her shoulder fixed in time for the clay season.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
With her vulnerable shoulder, it's rare that she's healthy for tournaments, so I think that if she actually plays, it adds much more pressure for her to have to perform well. Such a shame because she is playing much better, but her body keeps letting her down.

Also, after her R4 loss at AO, she had a whole week to rest, yet it hurt again in just her R1 match here. So if she had won against Barty, her shoulder would not have let go all the way btw. And this is after a whole off-season. The thing is not whether she can play well, but whether her shoulder lets her go out there and perform without much pain for a whole tournament.

·
Registered
570 Posts
To be honest it goes go to show how much work she has put in to ensure she can at least play at a level that pro tour requires. She shows improvement in her game except the serve which we all know.

Such a shame but better withdraw than ruining the rest of the year which I am 100% is the last one if it goes like this at least if we are speaking of full time tennis player schedule.

You never know, if she plays in this way only the major events and if she still has the desire to train and put herself through all these.

Deep down I feel her head says this year is her last year but heart says she wants to continue.

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Damn. We better get used to this cause we ain't gonna be seeing much of her playing healthy consistent tennis in the coming years. I hope she at least considers playing IW and then focuses on the upcoming clay season where she shines at.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Well, she will never be 100% healthy again. That's sad but true.

I think 2019 is going to be her last. Like Goldlion said: her heart wants to play more, but body and head definitely want to finish this year.
She had a very long off season, a week of break after AO and shoulder is in pain again. And it will be the very same story over and over again.
She has to focus on clay and RG. It's her only chance to gain that one more slam. She has no chance at Wimbledon without serve and USO hasn't been her best Slam lately.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
This withdrawal reminds me so much that Stanford 2017. Draw was opened for he nicely, and yet she cannot capitalize, because she's feeling pain again. This is why I am so gutted. :sobbing: :sobbing:

Also, from what she says, she's basically day to day status, so no wonder she doesn't plan anything beyond this season. It's not even being about motivation - she must putting so much work to play couple matches, which do not bring her enough continuity as she probably desires.

So, yeah, let's just enjoy the ride. For me it's clear she has couple good runs in her as long as she holds up.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts