Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
SharaFamily
21,137 Posts
She was rotating her shoulder a lot today, massaging it etc so it was clearly in pain. In Shenzhen she said her doctor told her it will be a day-to-day management thing so I'm guessing (or hoping) that today was just a bad day for it.
Yeah good new is She has a day off tomorrow.

·
Heaux
29,704 Posts
The FH was on fire in the first set today, and it's the shot that pulled her through in the 2nd set in the nick of time because the match was starting to slip away.

Serve crumbled when trying to close out the match which puts a bit if damper on this performance, otherwise I think this court suits her quite well. Maria has the power to hit through it but most others will struggle hitting through this somewhat slower surface.

If Maria can stay healthy and gravitate around today's level, I think she can reach the latter stages here. Although we shouldn't underestimate Kasatkina. She might suck so far this year but she played really well here last year.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That was some quality ball striking. She is moving like a gazelle out there. Definitely has improved on that front. The serve remains a mystery. When the double faults come they come in flurries. She had no double faults between the first and last games.

I felt bad for gavrilova. You could tell she was trying very hard to stop her losing streak but Maria was too strong for her today.

Onto the next.

·
Milk and honey
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Maria :cheer:

First win in Russia for like 13 years ♥ :hysteric:

Solid stuff, at times pretty impressive. Other than her serve (understandable due to the shoulder issues), her groundgame and movement have really improved. Perhaps the best it’s been since the comeback, so far this year.

I worry about Goerges in the quarters but she has to get there first. Great that she could get a good win in Russia again and let’s hope for another good match in R2. Much needed day off, glad she started on the Monday :lol:

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Sweet 6-0 6-4 win over Gavrilova ! :toothy:

I love her draw. Maria can show that SHE is the best Russian :angel:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Will Maria play any tournaments before IW? Someone posted in general about 2 other tournaments they thought Maria would play. Doha, Duba.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
The groundstroke is vintage Maria :hearts: the pace, the angle. So delicious to watch.
Praying hard for her shoulder. With all the money she has in the world isnt there something someone somewhere she can go to, to fix that goddamn shoulder :sobbing:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Will Maria play any tournaments before IW? Someone posted in general about 2 other tournaments they thought Maria would play. Doha, Duba.
No. At her press conference after AO 4th round she said St. Petersburg is her last tournament before IW.

As for the match: her groundstrokes and moving :hearts:
Hoggy is meant to be her coach. Amazing work. Serve is another part of her game where neither Thomas or Maria could do something I think. It's all about her shoulder. I'm praying for health for Maria this week because it's such a great opportunity to gain points and have a nice result.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Kasatkina is 0-3 so far this year.

Would like to see her pick up some points here, IW & Miami. Just to cushion some of the points she is defending in the clay swing. A seeding is important especially for the French Open.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The bookies are heavily invested in Maria taking this match. All of them that I have seen are picking Maria to win easily. I wish I thought it was going to be that easy.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts