Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Milk and honey
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to open the AO thread but forgot to, haven't opened one since RG18 and IW/MI is cursed for her these days so here we are :nerd:

Draw is out tomorrow I think. Not sure what to expect from her here but at least it's a less stressful tournament and she'll have all of the crowd support next week.

Давай Маша, мы в тебя верим :cheer:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Suarez Navarro and Giorgi pulled out. I believe Petra will be out too especially is she wins AO.
It gives Maria a chance to be in the TOP8 seeds :)

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I would so love for Maria to win a title in her home country.
But unfortunately she's never performed well in Moscow, so I doubt it will be any different here.

The indoor conditions should suit her fine though.

·
I was going to open a thread for St Petersburg but the first and only time I ever opened a thread for Maria was in Rome 2017 where she ended up getting a grade 3 muscle tear in her left thigh, so I decided I probably shouldn't open this at such a fragile time in her career:lol:

·
Milk and honey
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to open a thread for St Petersburg but the first and only time I ever opened a thread for Maria was in Rome 2017 where she ended up getting a grade 3 muscle tear in her left thigh, so I decided I probably shouldn't open this at such a fragile time in her career:lol:
:hug:

I only had the guts to do this because the two other threads I opened, USO17 and RG18, were her two best slams so far in the comeback before the AO this year, so I hoped that I wasn't a bad luck charm :hysteric:

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
The great thing about this is that Maria is playing a tournament right after the AO and we don't get her going AWOL till IW. It'll be exciting to see what she'll be able to make out of this appearance here. I'm not expecting much to be honest but it's not as if her game isn't there. I just have a feeling that one tournament is all she needs to get her shit back together and start winning again consistently.

Even at the AO she could have easily beaten Wozniacki in straight sets and also Barty for that matter. It's her commitment and focus that needs working on, her game is fine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Such a strong field - almost like Stuttgart

Petra probably would not play after all the wins in Australia But Caroline did go to St P after the win so who knows?

Hope she can enjoy this tournament.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Full draw:

Petra Kvitova (1) vs BYE
Victoria Azarenka (WC) vs Kristina Mladenovic
Katerina Siniakova vs Vera Zvonareva (WC)
Alize Cornet vs Donna Vekic (8)

Daria Kasatkina (3) vs BYE
Q vs Maria Sakkari
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova vs Kirsten Flipkens
Q vs Julia Goerges (5)

Dominika Cibulkova (7) vs Timea Bacsinszky
Alison van Uytvanck vs Yulia Putintseva
Q vs Ekaterina Makarova (WC)
Aryna Sabalenka (4) vs BYE

Jelena Ostapenko (6) vs Q
Olga Danilovic (WC) vs Daria Gavrilova
Q vs Maria Sharapova
Kiki Bertens (2) vs BYE

·
Bertens isn't playing that good, is she? Lost in 2R of AO and only played 2 matches to get to SF of Sydney. And Maria took her to 3 on clay which is Bertens best surface. I think Ostapenko respects Maria too much which is why she loses to her, the occasion seems to overwhelm her. But who knows.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Draw is pretty good and Maria will have the advantage over Bertens in the sense of already playing a match. I would love to see a good run here. If she can go far here and has a decent US Spring Swing she will have less pressure backing up last years strong clay season. She also has nothing to defend in Stuttgart too.

If she can get past Bertens she should be able to get out of her quarter.
A title here would be so nice for Maria and her Russian fans. Alexander is with her in Russia so who knows he might give her some extra motivation.

Now to see what qualifier she will get..

1 - 20 of 89 Posts