Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
27,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Safina hit back some criticism raised by journalist in Madid after her QF win:

"People are always critical (towards me).When Mauresmo was ranked #1,she also hadn't won any GS titles,but people seldom criticised her.

I don't know why people are always comenting on me and Jelena,telling us to win a GS title.

Actually,In my opinion,being #1 is not only about GS,but also your performance through the whole year.

Last year,I had nearly beaten all the top10 players,so I think I totally deserve to be #1.

Yes,I haven't won a GS title yet,but I have made it into 2 finals and 1 semifinal.

No one could reach such a result in last year.

I am now only thinking of how to play more competitive and stabler,that is all of what I should do.

As for French Open,I have to play match by match,but who knows the results.

Peopple's comments totally don't affect me.In fact,I think they maliciously speak out these words only because they envy me so much,because I am #1 at such a young age.

Like Jelena's year-ending #1 position last year,look at her whole year performane,she had made it into many finals including the US Open final as well as winning many events.

We need to look at an overall performance,as for GS title,we still have enough time to get it and that moment will surely come one day."

http://sports.sina.com.cn/t/2009-05-16/04324382164.shtml

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I'm not sure that's a real interview. However Safina does not need to be defending her ranking as the results are proving she's the best in the world right now.

·
Registered
27,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think sina.com has a journalist in Madird,they delivered some very strong news,like Peng's bad luck of losing passports and credit cards.

I checked Madrid official website,but it's not so good with little information there:eek:

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
OMG. Did Safina really say all this? She comes across as being a bit defensive and insecure as the number one player in the world. I think Safina has grown tired of having to defend the throne of "Worlds Best Player" when she hasn't won a grand slam or even a year end championship. I mean sure, Rome is an honorable title to hold, and she can hold all the titles she wants, but every tennis fan knows it really the grand slams that count. If its not a grand slame event, it's really just a warm up to one then. Winning a grand slam cements your tennis career in the history books, everyone else is a bit player; ordinary players destined to become a mere footnote in the biography of a book about some other player who actually won a grand slam title.

·
Registered
27,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry,what's your issue?:shrug:I checked the Madrid official website and didn't find any interview records and then I translated the chinese news,I don't now what do you mean by posting this smily.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okey,if anyone can find an english interview,please post here and warmly apreciated:shrug:

·
Registered
34,574 Posts
Good on her for defending herself. She deserves to be the current #1, for sure! Nobody else is as consistent as her at the moment--definitely not the William's sisters. She is very solid.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
English:

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/11750395

"Yes, I didn't win a Grand Slam but I was in two finals and in one semifinal in one year. Many people can't achieve that in a career," Safina said. "Overall, I think I'm where I should be for the consistency of my whole year."
The English-Chinese-English process didn't help the wording. Generally, it's nothing she hasn't said in the last 3 weeks anyway.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Okey,if anyone can find an english interview,please post here and warmly apreciated:shrug:
It's ok Lin Lin, I believe you. Hugs from America:wavey:

Reactions: Lin Lin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
No problem, Lin Lin. The Madrid website is the worst one ever (like so much else there?) with few interviews published, links that don't work, missing down scroll bar, confusing design, nearly invisible fonts, etc. The post-match interviews aren't even released to other websites --- have tried hard to find several of them to no avail. A magic box? No, a black hole.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
I just think that shes replying to Serenas
article aswell

·
Registered
7 Posts
Safina is talking about her being young and what not.
at 23, can someone list Serena's accomplishments ????

But, Serena should have left her alone and let her enjoy the #1 ranking. Time will tell if she deserved the #1 ranking. But she has been living up to the #1 ranking these past weeks.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Dinara :worship:

1 - 20 of 107 Posts