Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something interesting that I noticed:

Ivanovic reached her first grand slam final in FO'07 and got beaten. She then finished SF and 4R in her 2 next grand slam.
She reached her 2nd grand slam final in AO08 but got beaten by Maria Sharapova.
She finally won her maiden slam in French Open 2008 after finishing runner-up the previous year and runner up at Aussie Open 2008.

Safina reached her first GS Final in FO'08 and got beaten. She then finished 4R and SF in her 2 next grand slam.
She reached her 2nd grand slam final in AO09 but got beaten by Serena Williams.
Would she finally won her maiden slam in French Open 2009 after finishing runner-up the previous year and runner up at Aussie Open 2009?

Reactions: volta

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
They both won Berlin, pre FO final too.
It's strange how similar it is, but I really think this is where the similarities will stop. Bottom line is Safina didn't play good tennis to reach the final of the AO or the Semis od USO, if it wasn't for the play of her opponents, she would never have done so. Plus between FO 07 and FO 08, Ivanovic played a much higher quality than Safina with tougher competiton (Henin). If Safina wins Indians Wells, I'll take it all back, but I cannot see the similarities continuing from here.

PS - Safina reached R3 of Wimbledon not R4, but close enough ;)

·
Most Loved Member
11,182 Posts
It wouldn't be that surprising if Safina wins Roland Garros. But I think her game is solid enough to not fall apart for good like Ivanovic's did.

·
Registered
32,296 Posts
Ivanovic improved in her 2nd Final. Safina was worse.
Dinara hits 50 UEs per match and is #2. It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I know..You could see Safina was so tight she couldnt even move.. Haha Ana was way better in the final..But Safina has a chance at RG this year if Serena doesnt make it haha

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ivanovic improved in her 2nd Final. Safina was worse.
Dinara hits 50 UEs per match and is #2. It's ridiculous.
But Dinara was better during her first final. It's like the other way round for them. Ivanovic was trashed by Henin during her first final.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both became #2 after finishing runner up at Aussie Open :eek:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
both began the year of their first slam finals as the number 3 seeds at Gold Coast(Ivanovic in 2007, Safina in 2008) and both were knocked out in the QF with a 3-set loss to Shahar Peer, after winning the first set.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Dinara actually will come at Paris this season with (already) better results than Ana have last season. Except all that identical results (FO and AO finals with another GS SF, #2 ranking), Dinara won 2 tier-I more than Ana (4 vs 2) and Olympic silver. But still if we talk only about Ana Ivanovic biggest 2008 achievements, Safina is not so close to Ana:
- reach #1 spot
- wins 1st slam title
- became worlds TOP100 sexiest women

Her most realistic chances is for 1st option - to reach #1, most probably something before start of red clay season, especially her chances looks good after Miami (Serena defending champion, Jankovic runner-up) if Serena will boycott again previous Indian Wells where Dinara last season lose early in 3rd Round.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
And for that Ivanovic worked SO HARD :rolls:

:rolleyes:
Well it's hard to be sexy when your the WTA answer to the Vrigin Mary :lol:

Oh and if Safina wins RG it will confirm my opinion that its the worst slam out there. In fact if Safina wins RG I shall never watch that awful tournament again. As if Ana winning there wasn't bad enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts