Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sad: MADRID, Spain – World No. 5 Lindsay Davenport has withdrawn from the US$170,000 Open de Espana, 19 – 24 May, due to a right hamstring injury.

Davenport, due to make her second appearance at the Open de Espana as the top seed, sustained the injury during a practice session. Her match record is 4-0 in Madrid, having won the title in 1999 when she defeated Argentina’s Paola Suarez, 6-1, 6-3.

“I’m very disappointed that I’m not going to Madrid this year,” Davenport said from her home in Laguna Beach, CA. “I haven’t played there in a while, so it would have been nice to return to the tournament.”

Davenport plans on staying at home to recover from her injury. Her next scheduled tournament is Roland Garros, the second Grand Slam of the season, 26 May – 7 June.

“It’s always frustrating to have an injury right before a tournament, especially because I was looking forward to playing in Madrid.” Davenport said. “I know I will be back.”

Davenport’s withdrawal moves Uzbekistan’s Iroda Tulyaganova into the main draw.

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
:sad: :sad: Lindsay :sad: :sad:

r we sure is an injury and not maybe a lack of practising due to her honeymoon? :eek:
I don't suppose we really know, so I guess we'll have to take Lindsay's word for it.

Don't get down hearted though - remember what happened when Lindsay didn't play any warm-up events for Wimbledon in 1999 (and grass was also one of her "weak" surfaces) she won it! If she can find a red clay court anywhere in the USA then she can practice on it as much as possible, like she did on her neighbours grass court before Wimby 1999.

-Rachel :wavey:

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
yeah Rachel but still...she'll play on red clay without any preparation.U cant count green clay tourneys cos green clay is quite fast,instead red clay is so slow and Lindsay could have problems to adapt her game there.neway...i just hope she'll be fine for RG and doesnt withdraw from that too.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I hope she's okay for the French Open

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
U cant count green clay tourneys cos green clay is quite fast,instead red clay is so slow and Lindsay could have problems to adapt her game there.
I didn't say anything in my last post about the tournies on green clay being enough preparation. I just mentioned that before Wimby '99 Lindsay didn't play any grass court events but went on to win it! Her preparation for that was continuous practice on a neighbours grass court.

If Lindsay can find a red clay court to continually practice on before RG than maybe she will have a shot, because hopefully - if she does that - she will go there with a good feel for the way a red clay court plays :)

-Rachel :wavey:

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Oh, dear, i don't like the sound of this! Hope its just precautionary ahead of Roland Garros. I do hope we are not going to hear the worst about RG. I am so longing to see her play the French again as are the rest of you.

Good luck Lindsay - heal quickly
:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts