Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
In her interview, she stated that she is still in the doubles, s there is hope she will carry on playing RG:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
get fit or stay off court

joaco said:
:sad: :sad: Thi is just SO BAD! and sad for Lindsay.
I'm tired of having to see Lindsay retire from tournaments... hope she gets well soon :sad: :sad:
Watching Davenport play is painful! Don't understand why
she takes the court if she is not fit enough to play.
The poor-me, mope, hang head act is getting to
be a familiar sight.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
poor Lindsay,an other injury! :sad: :sad:
I just hope it wont take too much time for being healthy again.Lindsay said she could pull out of doubles too if the doctors tell her that it's serious.we still dont know what kind of injury is this...

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Lindsay's interview

Q. Was it the same thing as yesterday?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah.

Q. What does this mean for Wimbledon, do you think?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I don't know. There's still a few more tests I need to do. I didn't want to do too many last night because I knew I had to play again today. So, you know, I have not thought about anything yet. You know, first off I have to kind of figure out exactly what is wrong and what the diagnosis is.

Q. How much was it hurting today? Was it hurting from the beginning?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, it's been flaring up, up and down for a month. The first serve I came down on my foot, kind of flared it up, and it never went away. You know, just wasn't going to happen. It was hurting too much to play the way and move the way I need to play to beat anybody out here.

Q. Had you gone up in the second set, would you have thought twice about it?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, I was so flustered about what to do, stay or quit, whatever. So, you know, I probably should have just stopped right away. I mean, there was no way, even if I was to get up a lucky break or something, that it would have happened.
It's just a very bizarre feeling to know, you know, when to stop, you know, it's over or whatever for a Slam.

Q. Have you had this before? This is out of the blue?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It's something that's been bothering me for the last month on and off, but getting progressively worse as I've been here in Paris.

Q. But never years ago?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No. I have a sac of fluid underneath my fourth metatarsal, fourth toe. I just have to figure out why there's some fluid there. I just have to do some more tests to figure out exactly what is wrong.

Q. Do you go back to LA?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I have no idea. You know, as of right now I'm still in the doubles. I actually have not thought about anything yet.

Q. All that aside, how well is Conchita playing right now?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I haven't played her in a while. I mean, I was more in my own head than anyone else's today, thinking about what is happening. To get so far to the fourth round, get onto the quarters, she must be playing well.
But, you know, today I think it was pretty hard to tell. I think she was just trying to move me side to side maybe, you know, hit some dropshots, do stuff like that. I think it was just probably a hard match for her to play, as well.

Q. Is this frustrating? You came back from the other injury. Does it start to make you think, "What's going on with my body?"
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It's terribly frustrating. I've been hurt for a few Slams before, but never to the point where I thought, you know, I got to stop.
You know, I mean, I am in good shape, and I've been working hard. You know, something like that happens, there's not much I can do about it. But just, you know, the more years you play, I mean, the less and less chances you get at Slams.
So to have to not be a hundred percent healthy and have to stop for reasons that you don't want to stop is obviously very sad.

Q. Obviously clay is your off surface. You yourself said your chances were modest to win here. Any thoughts that in any way it might have been a mistake to come, let it rest, prep for Wimbledon?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, I don't think it was a mistake. I've missed not playing here. When I came here, I really didn't think the toe would become such a big issue. I probably would have regretted it being at home, trying to watch, especially last year when I wasn't able to play. That would have been probably worse. But, you know, if a toe hurts on clay, I'm sure a toe doesn't feel better on grass. I'm a little worried how it will react to that surface.
No, I mean, I want to try and win here and play all the Slams that I can.

Q. The Bryan brothers were asked today who the best doubles player they've ever faced was. To some people's surprise, they said your brother-in-law, Rick Leach. Could you talk about that?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, that's so great. Yeah, I mean, he has the most amazing hands, just is very smart in terms of how to play doubles, you know, isn't blessed with this 130 mile-an-hour serve. He really has to think his way through doubles, and really react.
That's a huge compliment. I'm sure he'll love it.

Q. Great intuition?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, exactly.

Q. Could you handicap the rest of the tournament?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It's getting very interesting. Most of the Top 8 seeds are left. Obviously, the great match-up with Serena and Amelie. I think, you know, I was really looking at Mauresmo and Justine for their play here on the clay. We'll just see if they can deal with the pressure and get through to win that first Slam. They seem like they're the best clay-courters out there.
I think it's only a matter of time that Kim comes through and wins a Slam. I think she's too good a player and wants it too bad.
But, I mean, it's kind of up to Serena. I mean, if she's playing well, doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of people that can beat her. If she is not playing well, one of those girls will get enough balls back to win. So I kind of think it's in her hands.

Q. Can you analyze the Serena-Amelie match? What do you expect to see? Did you watch them play when Amelie beat her?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No. At the States we get no matches that are played in Europe on TV. It seemed like there were some really great, close matches.
There's two things. If Serena is playing at the top of her game, I think it's very tough for anyone to beat her. Also, you know, Amelie has said in the past she's felt a lot of pressure here playing in France. It seems like so far this tournament, she's handling it better.
You know, she needs to go out there and play some of her best tennis. If she can do it here, she's going to do it in the next round.

Q. Would it be a boost for everybody if somebody beat Serena at a Slam? Does that kind of give everybody a little hope?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, how close was Kim in Australia? It's like she almost had it there.
I just think the players, you know, are trying to get someone else to win a Slam. I mean, it's not only Serena. Her and her sister have won so many of the last -- I don't even know what the record is. Seems like they've taken so many titles. I mean, I think this is the surface where they're the most vulnerable.

Q. Are you getting frustrated enough with injuries where you'd think about, "Do I want to go through this any more?" Is it close to that point yet?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Not yet. This is something, I don't think, that is going to be another six to eight months. If I was faced with that situation, I don't think there would be much question, it would probably be too difficult to go through all that and come back again.
You know, injuries are a way of life in pro sports. You know, hopefully it's just a week or 10 days of getting it better. But, no, I'm not at that point yet.

·
Registered
589 Posts
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
589 Posts

:sad:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: poor Lindsay

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
OK Lindsay Go home to LA, get well and then practice for Eastbourne and Wimbledon!!!!!

I will pray for your speedy 100% recovery!!!!

GO LINDSAY!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Any news yet on how serious it is? Pulling out of the doubles was the best thing she could do anyway.

Get fit and well soon Lindsay for Eastbourne and Wimby
:worship:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
I don't think the injury is too serious but they have the problem of finding out how the fluid got there.

Get well soon Lindsay:)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Note she said in that post-match press conference that they'd decide if she'll be able to play the grass court season - aka Eastbourne and Wimbledon.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Its obviously giving them cause for concern by the mention that they would decide if she could play Eastbourne and Wimbledon. It may just be a case of resting for a while but at Nikki says they need to find the reason for the fluid . Hope that is not going to be too serious a problem.

Please get fit and well soon Lindsay. We need you at Eastbourne and Wimby.

:wavey:

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
I'll ask my mum or sister their oppinions. They are nurses, so this is the time when they come in handy. I'll ask my sister what she thinks it could be. When Lindsay first started having probs with her knees, I told my mum about it (symptoms etc) and she told me what it could be - and actually told me that if it kept getting worse, she could have surgery.....and she was right. It can't hurt to ask.

I'll let you know if I get any info.
-Rachel :wavey:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts