Doubles Main Draw:

Doubles Points Due: Thursday, July 21, 2005 at 4:00PM EDT

Schedule of Play

Wednesday: Qualifying; R16
Thursday: Singles QF; Doubles QF
Friday: Singles SF; Doubles SF
Saturday: Singles F; Doubles F

Important Notices

• Please send all points to Mboyle. Please be sure to send singles and doubles points seperately.
  • I need new points from everyone.
  • Everyone must write one 50+ word article over the course of the week. I encourage more.
  • You may switch points after every round (singles and doubles.) Matches may start as early as 7:00AM EDT on the specified day (unless otherwise noted.) However, I will accept points until your match actually begins.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Šprem Set To Clash With Coetzer

Croatian slumper Karolina Šprem is set to take on 6th seeded Amanda Coetzer in the first round of the first Tier I hardcourt event of the season.

``I haven't played well at all lately. So I have no expectations. I mean whatever happens is fine. I'm just gonna try my best and see if I have a chance.``

Šprem has been mired in a horrible slump since joining Fantasy Season.

``I've only ever won one title. And that was clay in Barcelona a few years ago. So I know that I'm not a factor for late rounds. I just hope to have some fun. Maybe I'll play doubles this week, but I have to find a partner. I used to be the dominant #1 player in the world with Tatix, but I've given up lately on doubles.``

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Capriati/Sanchez-Vicario

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Davenport/Loit

·
Banned
7,113 Posts
Davenport Set for San Diego

Davenport seen out on the practice courts ready for the Tier 1 event in San Diego

Lindsay Davenport is ready for the San Diego tournament, otherwise known as Acura Classic. The American will be appearing in-front of her home town for the first time this year, taking on close friend and doubles partner Emelie Loit.

Davenport has been out on the center court everday under the sun since arriving 3 days ago.

"Yes well i have been practicing alot since leaving Wimbledon unexpectedly early. That match in teh first round still bothers me. I dont have nightmares over it, but it just bugs me that i should have done bette,r but i guess it is all in the past. That is why im concentrating very hard this week, and hopefully ill be able to do well on the hard courts.

Im up against Loit first, which is a shame because we play doubles togehter alot, and might even have a shot at the doubles YEC, but my main goal is the singles YEC, and mostly to do well and win titles, especially in America on the hardcourts, so we are both gonna have to go out their and pretend it is not our doubles partner on the other side of the net. But still, the match should be entertaining.

Im concentraing hard on my game, and others game, this week and hopefully will be able to go the distance, however, right now im just taking it one match at a time."

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Hingis/Pierce?

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Martina Hingis (SUI) vs. Mary Pierce (FRA)

First Set, Hingis to Serve:

1-0 Hingis CT

1-1

2-1 Hingis

2-2

3-2

4-2

5-2

5-3

5-4

Game and First Set: Hingis

Martina Hingis (SUI) leads Mary Pierce (FRA) 6-4

Second Set, Hingis to Serve:

1-0 Hingis

1-1

2-1 Hingis

2-2

2-3 Pierce

3-3

3-4 Pierce

3-5

Game and Second Set: Pierce

Martina Hingis (SUI) tied with Mary Pierce (FRA) 6-4; 3-6

Third and Final Set, Pierce to Serve:

0-1 Pierce CT

0-2

1-2

1-3

2-3

3-3

4-3 Hingis

4-4

4-5 PIerce

5-5

6-5 Hingis

Game, Set and Match: Hingis

Martina Hingis (SUI)def Mary Pierce (FRA) 6-4; 3-6; 7-5

Set One/Three:
Martina was aggressive in a lot of games, but her backbone was a thinking game. Pierce basically played seven game power tennis, but held back a bit w/ a margin for error.

Set Two: Pierce played the percentages, meaning she did not change points from set one. Hingis did not play intelligently, and did change. here she kept it safe, playing a universal, two power game style.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) vs. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP)

First Set, Sanchez-Vicario to Serve:

1-0 Mauresmo

2-0 CT

3-0

4-0

4-1

5-1

5-2

5-3

5-4

5-5

6-5 Mauresmo

Game and First Set: Mauresmo

Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) leads Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) 7-5

Second Set, Sanchez-Vicario to Serve:

0-1 Sanchez-Vicario CT

0-2

1-2

2-2

3-2 Mauresmo

3-3

3-4 Sanchez-Vicario

3-5

4-5 CT

Game and Second Set: Sanchze-Vicario CT

Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) tied with Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) 7-5; 4-6

Thrid and Final Set, Sanchez-Vicario to Serve:

1-0 Mauresmo

2-0

2-1

3-1

4-1

5-1

5-2

Game, Set and Match: Mauresmo

Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) def Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) 7-5; 4-6; 6-2

Arantxa used five points too many and still lost. That Wimbledon loss must have really hurt a lot. She regressed for sure. Amelie always plays well when she shows up.

Set One:
Sanchez-Vicario hit hard, but would not commit to it. She tried to be safe and defend in a lot of games too. That does not cut it at this level. You have to commit. One or the other. Mauresmo played beautiful thinking tennis. She totally outsmarted Arantxa. Amelie was not overly aggressive, but was so good on defense that she would have beaten a retriever.

Set Two: Amelie hit everything as hard as she could, though she saved just enough to be competitive in the last part of the set, which is why this match was not decided by CT. Loit had five power and three retrieving games. not the smartest combo at all. This is what she was doing before roland garros.

Set Three: Very safe, high percentage variety tennis from Amelie. Her defense was again very strong and solid. Arantxa again played power tennis with a margin for error, resulting in something a true aggressive player would bagel. Don't mix and match strategies dear, that's what we do w/ outfits;) .

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nicole Vaidisova (CZE) vs. Dinara Safina (RUS)

First Set, Vaidisova to Serve:

0-1 Safina

1-1

2-1 Vaidisova

3-1

4-1

5-1 CT

Game and First Set: Vaidisova

Nicole Vaidisova (CZE) leads Dinara Safina (RUS) 6-1

Second Set, Safina to Serve:

0-1 Safina

1-1

1-2 Safina CT

2-2

3-2 Vaidisova

3-3

3-4 Safina

4-4

4-5 Safina

5-5

5-6 Safina

6-6 CT

Game, Set and Match: Vaidisova

Nicole Vaidisova (CZE) def Dinara Safina (RUS) 6-1; 7-6(4)

There is little argument that Vaidisova deserves to be at least no. 3. Some assert that she should be closer to Capriati than Capriati is to Hingis. I quibble with this. I point out that Vaidisova's consistency is overrated. She has three first round losses, one in a tier two. Hingis has 0 first round losses (though she lost the first actual match at Wimbledon as defending champ:eek: .) Capriati has 2. They definately deserve to be over Nicole, but she's the heir to the throne, at this point.

Set One:
Both played thinking tennis. Safina's was traditional; Nicole totally pumped up her defense, and did not hold any energy for the last three games.

Set Two: Nicole rightfully spared herself a third set by putting in some defensive efforts late in the set. I would like to see a little more of this. Otherwise, her tennis was identical to the first. Safina mixed counter-punching and defense (five of the former.)

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amanda Coetzer (RSA) vs. Karolina Sprem (CRO)

First Set, Sprem to Serve:

1-0 Coetzer

2-0

3-0

3-1

4-1

5-1

Game and First Set: Coetzer

Amanda Coetzer (RSA) leads Karolina Sprem (CRO) 6-1

Second Set, Coetzer to Serve:

1-0 Coetzer

1-1

1-2 Sprem

2-2

3-2 Coetzer

3-3

4-3 Coetzer

4-4

5-4 Coetzer

Game and First Set: Amanda Coetzer

Amanda Coetzer (RSA) def Karolina Sprem (CRO) 6-1; 6-4

I think this was good scouting from Amanda.

Set One:
Amanda guessed that Sprem was going to be defensive in this set (historically, she has been.) Therefore, Coetzer took initiative and hit hard. To be safe, she added an extra game of power. This could have hurt her, just to warn her. Sprem did indeed retrieve and allow Coetzer to dictate.

Set Two: Amanda varied her shots just like in the book. She did everything at the predictable time. Sprem played power shots like woah. No one could believe how hard she was hitting. However, Coetzer's slices made it hard for Sprem to get under the ball, and hence came errors. Mandy is very good at executing strategies in the book. She is a decent scouter. She may end up being a tad too predictable for the top players.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lindsay Davenport (USA) vs. Emilie Loit (FRA)

First Set, Davenport to Serve:

0-1 Loit

0-2

0-3

0-4 CT

0-5

Game and First Set: Loit

Emilie Loit (FRA) leads Lindsay Davenport (USA) 6-0

Second Set, Davenport to Serve:

0-1 Loit

0-2

0-3

1-3

1-4

1-5

2-5

3-5

4-5

5-5

6-5 Davenport

Game and Second Set: Davenport

Emilie Loit (FRA) tied with Lindsay Davenport (USA) 6-0; 5-7

Third and Final Set, Davenport to Serve:

0-1 Loit

0-2

0-3

0-4

0-5

Game, Set and Match: Loit

Emilie Loit (FRA) def Lindsay Davenport (USA) 6-0; 5-7; 6-0

All Sets:
Loit has some balls mate! She just pounded the ball shot after shot, completely dictating play. Just like w/ ASV, I feel that Davenport's game has regressed a bit. She seemed to try to play a thinking game, but her power games lacked oomph, and she had too many zeros (one or two per set is a lot.) Also, she was not efficient on defense. She randomly selected certain games to go after more (with like counter-punching.) I dunno, but the race to LA is now really really tight w/ Mauresmo makin her move. Davenport has built up a big lead, but she needs to be vigilant. She should really have entered the tier twos. It is unrealistic of her to expect to consistently reach the SF and F of a tier one, but it is realistic of her to expect to win and reach F of tier twos, which gives equal points to SF and F of tier one, respectively.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs. Jennifer Capriati (USA)

First Set, Capriati to Serve:

0-1 Capriati

1-1

1-2 Capriati

2-2

3-2 Sharapova

3-3

3-4 Capriati

3-5

Game and First Set: Capriati

Jennifer Capriati (USA) leads Maria Sharapova (RUS) 6-3

Second Set, Sharapova to Serve:

0-1 Capriati

0-2

1-2

2-2

2-3 Capriati

3-3

3-4 Capriati

4-4

5-4 Sharapova

Game and Second Set: Sharapova

Jennifer Capriati (USA) tied with Maria Sharapova (RUS) 6-3; 4-6

Third and Final Set, Capriati to Serve:

1-0 Sharapova

1-1

2-1 Sharapova

3-1

4-1 CT

4-2

4-3

4-4

5-4 Sharapova

5-5

6-5 Sharapova

Game, Set and Match: Maria Sharapova

Maria Sharapova (RUS) def Jennifer Capriati (USA) 3-6; 6-4; 7-5

Obviously, this was a CT decided match. Maria won her last one, vs. Golovin. Capriati won her last one, vs. Pierce.

Set One:
Sharapova retrieved. Capriati counter-punched, though one of her 8 games was super aggressive with big huge forehands.

Set Two: Universal tennis from Maria, whose strokes are textbook, but who does not really know how to use them well. She sort of just hits. Capriati played her brand of universal tennis. Her counter-punching games were a little weak, but there was an extra one there.

Set Three: Sharapova played standard thinking tennis. Capriati executed the same plan as in set two. Again, this was a CT match (just like the Loit/Davenport match.)

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
oh well, I retire and the end of the season so why bother

·
Banned
7,113 Posts
damn. Another first round losss. What is up with that.

"I just cant believe how embarrisng that was today. Im just gonna have to go and prcatice practice practice. Im not just gonna modify my scheulde because i have lost two matches in a row. Big deal. Ill get better and i will make the YEC and win the tier 1 titles nessacary to do so but for now i need a new stratergy, something fresh and orignal that will allow me to do so!"

1 - 20 of 60 Posts