Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BIRMINGHAM, England (AP) -- Russian teenager Maria Sharapova was ordered to tone down her grunting during her 6-3, 6-2 victory Wednesday over Nathalie Dechy in the second round of the DFS Classic.

Sharapova, who at 16 is one of the game's most promising young players, was warned by tournament officials after Dechy and players on an adjacent court complained about her high-pitched shrieks.

WTA Tour supervisor Donna Kelso and tournament referee Denise Parnell came on the court to ask Sharapova to lower the volume.

ADVERTISEMENT

Under the sport's ``hindrance'' rule, a player can be penalized a point for excessive grunting.

Sharapova was quieter for a while, but after three points she went back to loud grunting. Dechy then complained to chair umpire Kim Craven.

``It was one of the loudest (grunts) I have heard,'' the French player said. ``But I just played my match and tried not to care about it.''

In other matches, seventh-seeded Alexandra Stevenson of the United States lost 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 to Virginie Razzano of France.

Second-seeded Eleni Daniilidou of Greece defeated Meilen Tu of the United States 7-5, 6-1, and No. 3 Magdalena Maleeva of Bulgaria beat Jane O'Donoghue of Britain 6-2, 6-4.

Sharapova is louder than Monica Seles, who was warned about her grunting at Wimbledon a decade ago.

``It's difficult for me because I have been doing this since I was four,'' the Russian said. ``But I have to think about how I can control it. If you get a complaint you just have to try to make people happy.

``I don't necessarily like it when I watch it on TV, but it is just automatic for me. But it's not going to be a major concern.''

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
LOL OMG, does she really grunt THAT hard?
Geez, I've heard so many things about her grunts, but I tought it was just like Seles or something, but when adjacent courts start complaining, it's got to be bad... lol

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I cant wait to see her on TV. ;)

·
26,903 Posts
It must be a lot worse than Monica's. After all, Dechy has played Monica 3 times already and you didn't hear anything about complaints, so it's not that Nathalie is over-sensitive.
Yeah, she should lower the volume, but please only after I have seen/heard 'it' on TV. ;)

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Gruntgate II

stay tuned

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Yeah, I can't wait to hear it too. :D High-pitched shriek, that does not sound like Monica's grunt! Maybe it sounds more like BRUCE LEE killing someone with kung fu! :eek: :D

Funny, I just posted a prediction on Russian Roulette that Wimbledon will have their Grunt-o-meter out again for Maria, and that was before I read this. She's getting pretty famous for this screaming now, and I doubt the top players are going to accept it silently. :D

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Justine Henin-Hardenne vs Maria Sharapova

"I won't lower my hand until she stops producing those noises!"

:p

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Her screams sound like someone being tortured, and at Birmingham, you can even her her screaming on centre court, whilst she's playing on an outside court.
In fact, my friend and I were only remarking the other day, (whilst watching a match on another court in Birmingham, and listening to Maria's screams), that it must be annoying not just her opponent, but *all* 7 other players on the 4 outside courts. It really was only a matter of time before complaints started coming.

·
Registered
363 Posts
LOL. louder than Monica? O my God!! :p

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,018 Posts
Is her grunt more erotic than Harkleroad's?

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
is she a very loud Francesca Shiavone`s version ? ;)

·
SMUstang,
8,482 Posts
when i saw her she was louder than lindsay lee-waters which is a feat in itself

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
young girls always like to grunt...its not cool everyone laughs at you

1 - 20 of 76 Posts