Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally we are starting to get some medals. Of course, we are so far very unlucky on these Games, we lost quite a few medals on pure lack of luck. The figure skating gold comes as deserved yet little consolation. BTW, I don't give a flying f**k about all these hysterical statements in Anglo-Saxon media, Canadian, US, British. Just bad losers. The guys won it, they deserved it. End of story.

What is bothering is a clear anti-Russian attitude of these Games. Americans really don't want us to see us winning. And that's perfectly understandable. There is one thing Americans do well - it is selling. And they sell Games just as any other stuff. It is just business, for TV giants, for advertising companies, for advertised companies. Games where Russians would be doing really well would not sell that well. That's obvious.

Many of our sportsmen say that Russians are treated especially badly by folks from Olympics services. They say that they see how long does it take for a Canadian or an American sportsman to go thru security clearance upon entrance an Olympic object, and that Russians are getting totally searched for minutes. Clear predjudice.

Out biathlete Rostovtsev says that they are making them pass doping test many times, while other sportsmen are not bothered any often. He says that they took his blood for test just before the race and he claims that they took many times more blood then they were supposed to. There is now an official protest on this matter.

All the hystery about our skating gold is just a continuation of all that. Clearly The Cold War in sport is not over.

Yet, I am very proud of our guys and..

Go Russia!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
ys, you appeared on this board with an avatar ;) for the first time.

I totally agree with you on this matter. I just hope that`s an official protest will stop this anti-Russian campain.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
The Canadians have asked for an investigation into the Pairs competition. Sure, the Canadians skated better than the Russians. But the judges thought the Russians were more artistic. This is what happens in figure skating. It's totally subjective. I feel bad for Elena and Anton. Who is protecting and standing up for them?

And that accident in the warmup for was Jamie's fault. Not Anton's.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
I'm not very proud by the results so far (especially in women's cross-country), but I do agree on the pro-american hysteria of these Games.... I wouldn't be so sure that ANTON AND LENA WILL RETAIN a gold medal no matter what... There is NO power in the world that might oppose to the US (or Canada, all the same, 51st state) AND win in any disagreements from politics to economy to sports. so mark my words: Canadians will get a gold medal.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Tenn_ace, I think they might try to find a way to take the Gold from Elena and Anton. While Elena and Anton didn't skate as well as Jamie and David, they skated a more difficult program with superior artistry and presentation, according to some judges. This is what happens in figure skating. The outcry from the American and Canadian media is ridiculous.

I also think Jamie and David took a gamble by using a long program from a couple of years ago.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They can disqualify all judges, they can kick the sport out of Olympics, but unless they catch Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze on doping, there is no way the judging can be reversed. Can you imagine tennis result being reversed over biased refereeing? Soccer result reversed over not counted goal? No way.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tenn_ace,

the link you gave, if you think that Russian media are any better, you are wrong. Russian media are having a bit of hystery over North American media hystery.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
ys, the website is very anti-Russian in many ways. at least, anti government. Gusinsky empire if it says anything to you. But I agree, it ma be biased.

I don't agree that thw whole medal thing is done. It's not done until I hear an official word from ISU. no word so far yet. either way.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It doesn't matter what ISU will decide. They may well even dissolve itself as an institution. Wouldn't matter. There was never a precedent of taking a gold medal from anyone over refereeing and IOC won't allow that to happen. Never. Otherwise it would instantly go absurd, let one precedent of that and sportsmen will start filing lawsuits into courts for overturning results of competitions basing those filing on that precedent. One precedent of that kind and the world of sport will dive into complete chaos within days.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Award a second gold medal? That sounds nice. But it's not realistic. Because of the incredible outcry in North America, the ISU may do something they have never done before. Strip Elena and Anton of their gold medal. If they find out that the French and Russian judges had a deal, Elena and Anton will suffer the consequences. They might even get stripped of their gold medals. And that's not fair. Unpopular decision are a part of sports history. But the skating competition was much closer than people think. This was not a one sided affair.

Have Elena and Anton left America yet? They should have. Otherwise the ISU might make both Pairs teams re-skate the long program.

If the ISU does step in and do something, they will have skaters lined up at their door who think they were screwed by the judges. Such as Nancy Kerrigan at the 1994 Winter Olympics. She skated a flawless long program, and Oksana Baiul didn't. But the judges gave the gold to Oksana because of her superior artistry and presentation. Isn't that the same situation with Elena and Anton and Jamie and David? The Canadians were flawless. But Elena and Anton were in some judges eyes, slightly superior in their artistry and presentation. And the Russians skated a more difficult program as well. I think that was taken into technical consideration by the judges who voted for Elena and Anton.

This all leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

ys, I think it was you who said in another thread how the American girls got higher scores than they deserved in the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia. I agree.

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
back from Dublin and :(

I don't think they can or will change the medals no matter how much they cry

Now for Alexei to put another one, it would be great if we got 1-2-3 ;)

Hockey on match vs US is gonna be "fun",

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Overall, guys, it is disaster Olympics, don't you agree? Biathlon - nothing. Men skis - nothing. Women skis - no gold. We can still turn it around, need to take a couple of relays, a couple of women's ski races, a couple of figure skating, and , most importantly, Ice Hockey. But even if we win just another three golds and Ice Hockey, I'd say - good Olympics..

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
if I were that Russian judge I would have hired a lawyer and sued that French judge... whether it's true or not, she (the French) will never prove that it is, but she accused him of wrongdoing... it's a sure case for a Russian to win.

GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Well, well, anyway, today Russia will grab its 2nd gold, tomorrow Chepalova, Danilova and Lazutina will bring the whole podium.

And we have still a golden ski relay yet to come :cool:

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
don't forget the 1-2-3 in the mens skating :)

Hockey starts tomorrow
Russia v Belarus

we also got USA and Finland in group

all 4 teams qualify for QF but where you finish depends who you play
1v4 2v3 3v2 4v1 in each group

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I now think awarding a second gold medal to Sale and Pellettier could happen. Especially if the ISU can prove that the French judge helped the Russian Pairs team.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts