Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of questions for me especially in the period of the 70's...

1. How it was determined who is seeded and on which position before
rankings existed?

2. How did the system of rankings in the 70's?

3. How it was determined who is in the maindraw directly and who has to go through qualifying/prequalifying?

(I remember there was a strange thing going on with Pam Shriver in a tournament as she had to start in prequalifying made it to qualifying made it to the main draw and then was seeded #2 in the main draw. How came?)

4. When most of the tournaments started to use the official WTA-Rankings for there seeding and distributing main-Draw spots?

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
There are a lot of questions for me especially in the period of the 70's...

1. How it was determined who is seeded and on which position before
rankings existed?
Usually, it was by tournament committee.

2. How did the system of rankings in the 70's?
If you mean before the computer rankings, it was often done by national tennis federations and, surprisingly, tennis journalists. If you mean how many different "formulas" they have used to calculate the computer rankings, I will have to dig that up later.

3. How it was determined who is in the maindraw directly and who has to go through qualifying/prequalifying?

(I remember there was a strange thing going on with Pam Shriver in a tournament as she had to start in prequalifying made it to qualifying made it to the main draw and then was seeded #2 in the main draw. How came?)
Not sure that she was seeded second. It was an Avon Futures tournament, that was like the just-starting-out or starting-over circuit. But strange things sometimes happened back then in the challengers/satellites/futures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts