Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIMONA HALEP spent four hours in hospital on Saturday as the controversy over the Australian Open roof continues.

Tennis Australian decided to close the roof for Roger Federer’s men’s singles final against Marin Cilic today.

The decision was implemented after temperatures in Melbourne hit 38c.
And ESPN report that Australian Open organisers may have been moved to close the roof for the men’s final after hearing of Halep’s rush to hospital yesterday.
Halep lost in three gruelling sets to Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki on Rod Laver Arena.
And she ended up spending four hours in hospital after the match due to dehydration

Cilic today has been bucketing sweat as he takes on 19-time Grand Slam champion Federer.
The Australian Open is an outdoor tournament and pundits have criticised the decision to close the roof.
Heat at the Australian Open has always been a consideration during the Grand Slam and Federer admitted he chooses to play in the evenings when he gets the chance.
Speaking of the roof today, Pat Cash said: “The way Roger plays and takes the ball so early means any wind making the ball move is detrimental to him.

“That’s why he is one of the best indoor players.
“There is no wind or heat now (in the final).
“The ball is jumping more and probably the only player who has been effective against Federer is Rafael Nadal because of the extra bounce.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/ten...pen-final-Simona-Halep-hospital-Roger-Federer

This is a joke. The temperatures hit 37 degree celsius in Melbourne which is heatwave but lower than the temperatures faced during the tournament during the day when they refused to close the roof affecting many players except Federer who kept getting night matches but when the time comes for him to take the heat at night they make it convenient for him by closing the roof.

What a joke! Poor Simona who had to play through the heatwaves have was hospitalised last night.

Why is this favouritism allowed to exist? Many players are complaining. Many are demanding answers.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Completely agree with everything, the blatant favoritism and sucking up to one player at the expense of others, going as far as to compromise their health is disgusting, not to mention unfair. And then that same player will get the Sportsmanship award for God knows which time in a row to cap off the season :)

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
Wrong report.

It's not "Tennis Australia" that made the call but the match officials (= ITF)
Federer requested it is the news. Maybe Cilic agreed, though. Then it should be no problem. :shrug:

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wrong report.

It's not "Tennis Australia" that made the call but the umpires/match officials.
That's even worse! These are the people running the tournaments and they are showing blatant favouritism? How much did Simona lose out physically by being forced to play in the sun during the day in 40+ degree celsius days. Not to mention players not named Federer.

·
Registered
15,799 Posts
Federer requested it is the news. Maybe Cilic agreed, though. Then it should be no problem. :shrug:
Indeed. Did Halep even ask for the roof to be closed?

(wouldn't have mattered if she did anyway because mean Woz would have pulled a Djokovic and said hell no!)

·
always getting what i want
18,248 Posts
Extremely sexist.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
So Wozniacki needed a fainting opponent who eventually went to the hospital in order to push her way to a maiden slam? Why I'm not even the slightest surprised. :lol:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
poor Simona, no wonder she struggled then but then i have more respect for her giving her all under these circumstances

have lots of rest sweetie

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I don't think this is gender-based, though it does show a preference for a celebrity's wishes. I'm quite certain that if Serena requested the roof she would also get it.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
So Wozniacki needed a fainting opponent who eventually went to the hospital in order to push her way to a maiden slam? Why I'm not even the slightest surprised. :lol:
And Woz is going to play St-Petersburg next week. Really puts her luck into perspective. :lol:

·
Registered
15,160 Posts
I am convinced the adrenaline dump at 4-3 decided this match for Caro. Simona was done and was running on pure adrenaline/ That pause brought her back and gave Caro the chance to calm her nerves down.

·
Registered
32,106 Posts
Federer and Tennis Australia are business partners. They're always been politics and favoritism in tennis but they really jumped the shark this fortnight.

Cilic practiced outdoors while Federer practiced indoors. Ridiculous.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Did Halep come out from hospital? This is simply insane! The finals schedule was ok, but before they could have played later and organisers scheduled them to play at 3-4. Anything before 8 PM it's crazy.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.