Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Absolute shite match from Kiki. She was showing Anisimova all corners of the court until 6-2 3-0 and suddenly couldn't hit a ball right anymore. Especially the FH was very unreliable. Serve was also terrible and easy pickings for the American's return.

Only compliments I can make are about the tenacity and her amazing netgame, couldn't do wrong there no matter how difficult the shot. :yeah:

But really wasting so much energy on a day she has to play two matches.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,069 Posts
Thank god. She pulled it off somehow. Her mind was gone whenever she had the lead. Was fucking this up so hard. Can't believe she held at *4-5. Thought it was done. Somehow she pulled it off.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Incredibly sloppy match from Bertens (I'm guessing rusty rather than tired?) but she lives to fight another day.
No excuse there. She was playing lights out until 3-0 in the second. You can't suddenly become rusty in a match right? :p

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Much closer than expected for Amanda but still hurts. :(

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nest up Cornet or La Carla. Could be a decent interval between matches, though.

I do think Bertens sloppiness was more about the 5-day wait to play a match rather than fatigue.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I didn't realise it was on, tuned in at the 4-4 game in the second set where she had approx. three million break points, and changed when Anisimova held knowing full well that Kiki would immediately break herself. :lol: Sounds like the rest of the match was just as messy as that game, but at least she got the win.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,069 Posts
No excuse there. She was playing lights out until 3-0 in the second. You can't suddenly become rusty in a match right? :p
Agree. Her focus was totally off. Aside of the anisimova return, Kiki really played stupid. Forehand was totally off, she was looking for the Anisimova backhand way too much with her serve. Should've picked her spots way better, got broken far too much because of stupid placement with the serve.

On to the next match, later this afternoon... Please pull it off kiki. With a win this afternoon she'll pass Kerber in the ranking and be #3 virtually. :scared:

·
Registered
113,389 Posts
In other times, Bertens would have lost this. But like her last match with Halep, she didnt fold at all and served huge when she needed it and no wild forehand errors on big points

·
Premium Member
27,132 Posts
Disappointed Amanda couldn’t pull this off...it was so close. Bit great to see her challenging the top girls. She will be one of them in a few years.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You totally can! After roughly an hour of what felt like a practice session for Bertens, the opponent started playing a bit better and, due to dulled competitive instincts, Bertens doesn't adjust. That's a rust problem! :D

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Thank god the fluke run was stopped here. Anisimova has a lot of potential, but is so overranked right now thanks to some weak draws and hitting the jackpot here in Rome after being thrashed in qualies.

Kiki was so horrible and passive from mid 2nd set onwards, should've won something like 6-2 6-1 but was rather lucky to pull it off in the end: don't know how much she'll have in the tank for next match in the afternoon, also taking the Madrid run into account. Surely she can't afford such mental walkabouts in Paris where pressure will be sky high.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very well done Amanda. On the slowest court of the circuit she proved to be at par with the toughest pusher on tour, adapting her much superior game. Imagine the same match on plexicushion or grass, high-level confrontational tennis instead of hit&run: that pusher wouldn't even see the ball coming.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You totally can! After roughly an hour of what felt like a practice session for Bertens, the opponent started playing a bit better and, due to dulled competitive instincts, Bertens doesn't adjust. That's a rust problem! :D
Hmm, I see what you mean but my definition of rust is playing after not having played for a long time and therefore not feeling your shots as you would normally.

I also did not feel Anisimova tipped this match on her own strength. But that Kiki was dulled I agree with, I think she just lost her focus and intensity, maybe thinking she had it in the bag already.

·
Registered
31,049 Posts
Wow I started watching at 4-5 and assumed Kiki would probably flop. I figured she was still recovering from the effort of winning Madrid and probably couldn't be fucked here. Wow was I wrong and her emotions after winning have become so intense lately :lol:. Very impressive effort to get out of this one.

She has a comfortable draw next, and as far as I remember the last time she played two matches in one day was when she had an absolute marathon with Keys in the Charleston semifinals and then came back that afternoon to destroy Görges and win the biggest title of her career, which consequently kicked off this incredible rise.

·
Registered
31,049 Posts
Very well done Amanda. On the slowest court of the circuit she proved to be at par with the toughest pusher on tour, adapting her much superior game. Imagine the same match on plexicushion or grass, high-level confrontational tennis instead of hit&run: that pusher wouldn't even see the ball coming.
Kiki Bertens is a pusher? I have seen it all here :sobbing:.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts