Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While you were sleeping. :surprise:
Petra was extremely injured and Sakkari was aggressively painting the lines.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Ave Maria! :worship:

Nice aggressive performance from Sakkari, she was so fired up and hitting bigger today. Maybe it's true what they say about luck, because after that bird pooed on her tennis bag in Istanbul she has been on a tear. :lol: 10 wins and one loss (which came when the Madrid organisers did her dirty with the scheduling).

She obviously likes Rome, probably because her mother (former top 40 player) comes to watch and the surface suits her. If she doesn't go super deep here she has to be one of the most dangerous potential R1 opponents for seeded players at RG.

I don't think Petra's MTO and retirement will be anything too serious (re: RG). She's played a lot this year but this is her least favourite time slot and I think she was mostly just exhausted playing against such a physical and tenacious competitor.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Petra looked flat this evening. She barely gave a pojd all match - but was stubborn enough to battle to that 2nd set.

I was really impressed with Sakkari - she was bossing a lot of the points with great first serve, loads of variety on it and most crucially, she looked really up for it while Petra looked fed up but not really all that bothered. She's not defending points here and got one win, but the draw had opened up and this was an opportunity. However, I think we all know Petra is not the type of player to thrive on 2 matches in a day and playing til midnight. I mean even the headband didn't come off until 0-3 in the 3rd! A sure sign of ...meh! from Petra!

Loved Sakkari's Brit coach telling her to be a Spartan Warrior :) :)
Maria deserved the win. Despite results in Madrid and Stuttgart and other clay tournaments, slow clay here and at RG do not really suit Petra's game. Still, she really should better her R3 result from last year's RG.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Petra looked flat this evening. She barely gave a pojd all match - but was stubborn enough to battle to that 2nd set.

I was really impressed with Sakkari - she was bossing a lot of the points with great first serve, loads of variety on it and most crucially, she looked really up for it while Petra looked fed up but not really all that bothered. She's not defending points here and got one win, but the draw had opened up and this was an opportunity. However, I think we all know Petra is not the type of player to thrive on 2 matches in a day and playing til midnight. I mean even the headband didn't come off until 0-3 in the 3rd! A sure sign of ...meh! from Petra!

Loved Sakkari's Brit coach telling her to be a Spartan Warrior :) :)
Maria deserved the win. Despite results in Madrid and Stuttgart and other clay tournaments, slow clay here and at RG do not really suit Petra's game. Still, she really should better her R3 result from last year's RG.
Sakkari's Athenian. Weren't Spartans the enemy?

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Hope Petra will be fully healthy and rested for RG. Rome has never been her tournament.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts