Tennis Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84,923 Posts
Sascha reminds me on the Carlos Kirmayr effect for Gabriela Sabatini..always told her " you are the best" and " go to the net" and so she won her GS title...

·
Milk and honey
3,407 Posts
She's not playing like she was 2 years ago or anything, but in comparison to a year ago it's definitely better. She still hits her second serve far too central, and has a poor two handed backhand, but is using her first serve and forehand, the pillars of her game, more efficiently.

Definitely playing at around an 20-25 level rather than 60-70 like she was for almost 2 years now. With her confidence improving, depending on the draw she could get early into the second week at RG.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
This time last year Kiki was struggling to even win a set let alone winning a match, she's really come long way from those dark times

hiring Sascha as a coach was the best decision ever as it's clearly paying off

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
So happy for Kristina! after a tough battle in the morning vs Bencic she manages to beat Barty and score a TOP10 WIN!:clap2::yeah:

she seemed a bit tired at times in the 2nd set, this game to make it 4-2 was CRUCIAL cause Barty was fighting hard

through to QF to face winner of Kvitova/Sakkari :)
No, she was not tired at all. She was so ready for this match.
I watched both matches and saw 2 different Mladenovic.

It was very frustrating watching her play Bencic. Kiki was stuck at the baseline, trying to rally with Bencic. It was a boring match. Both players stuck back and playing like it was a practice drill to see who can hit more balls. I was asking myself, why does a coach let a player play like this? Why doesn't Kiki move forwards, step inside the court and hit those balls? With the kind of big shots she has, she could take out Bencic cold.

As a Kiki fan, I was just annoyed with the kind of boring tennis she was playing. She is lucky to win that match against Bencic. The minute she broke Bencic for 4-1 in that 2nd set, I knew Bencic would get angry and overheat... and the match would be over. Bencic had opportunities to break early on and had she done so, I don't think she would have let Kiki back in the match.

Second match against Barty: it was like day and night. Either Sasha made some correction, or Kiki decided not to stay back and rally.
She was a totally different player. Playing from the baseline and constantly moving forwards, taking the balls early. Everything I criticized in the first game was corrected.
Barty had no chance to setup her shots. Kiki was right inside the court every time, hitting, looking for short balls, drop shots, volleys ... a complete tennis game she didn't play against Bencic.

Either Sasha had a talk with her, or she decided to play a different game because it was her second match and she didn't want to play long points. Either way, it was a nice adjustment from the first match. Kiki dominated Barty from start to finish. I was very elated. Hope this was not a "I am tired so let me move forward and hit" mindset.

I hope she can play like this in her next matches. She might lose but she is a much better player when she plays like she did against Barty.
Barty was not bad at all. Kiki just didn't give her time to setup her shots. Many times she threatened to take over but Kiki would come up with a devastating serve or winner to push Barty right back in the corner.
I really enjoyed this 2nd match.

Go Kiki, Go Sasha, let's try to win one more match...
But if it doesn't work out, please don't stop playing this "forward moving style". It makes your work look so much easier.
Good Luck !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
52,304 Posts
Nice wins for Kiki! :yeah:

·
Registered
53,487 Posts

·
Banned
2,202 Posts
Damn Sascha really is working miracles. Took Naomi from a decent player to #1. Taking a complete mug in Kiki back to top 20 level.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts