Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Discussion Starter #1
Halep took a MTO in the 3rd set (only to run around like a bunny rabbit afterwards) so it was really unfortunate she was extremely injured today and just couldn't really play her game.

Vondrousova has a lot of talent, it was obvious to see today with her drop shots and all. Compare and contrast to what was happening on the other side of the net - whew!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
No big deal, win or lose here she would have give a wo on next round (this afternoon).
Time for a rest until FO, Simo!

·
Registered
84,944 Posts
Halep not in mood to play twice today..nothing from her in the 3rd set.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Called this in the WWW Rome thread. Halep didn't play her best in either matches against Marketa this year but those lefty angles, spins, and variety really upset her relatively one-dimensional play and she struggles to adjust (14 dropshot winners for Marketa today). Bringing Halep into the forecourt where she often unintentionally revealed her lack of instincts in that part of the court.

She must be tired, because if not I would have penciled her in to beat Kasatkina. Also Venus/Konta in the QF isn't a bad draw for a P5 on clay. Lmao if Bertens loses later today can Osaka make the F here in Rome? :rolls:

·
Registered
27,920 Posts
Where do all these Czech players come from? A nice scalp for Markéta Vondroušová, and Naomi Osaka secured her #1 spot again...

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Marketa is so dangerous this year! :) Some of her defending was insane. :worship: And she's about to oust Sevastova as the drop shot queen. I'm amazed at what she comes up with when the ball looks like it's already passed her. She can take it super late and still be in the rally.

Also a good win mentally in the end, despite some blips throughout. I was worried she would be rattled by Halep's MTO but she soldiered on very well.

One has to wonder how much energy she has left though. :sad: She ran soooo much in this match and I was watching her against Barbie yesterday which was also a big marathon (7-6 in the third). Will still have to play today against Kasatkina.

Simona at the net... :help: The second last point of the match was really clueless. I still don't think this loss will affect her chances at RG though.

·
Registered
40,310 Posts
Rain delay was enough!

Help looked so passive today, like a rabbit in the headlights, perhaps FO is already on her mind, it could be a blood bath for her in Paris, she’s not going to cope with the pressure I don’t think.

Marketa played wonderfully those drop shots were amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Dafuq was that? Just turned on when Marketa was serving for the match, and looked like Simona deliberately lost the last couple of points?

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
At least we are spared hearing “Simona Halep can be number one if....” for another couple of months.

I still think Simona’s master game plan is to become the number one player without actually winning a title. She just needs to avoid bombing out in Wimbledon and the US Open.

·
Registered
113,378 Posts
This ends #1 talk for a while. Not playing twice in one day is not bad. Now get ready for a slam title defense

1 - 20 of 70 Posts