Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
31,128 Posts
Let's not exaggerate, shall we? There is no such thing as 'unplayable Svitolina'.
You're right that even I felt I was exaggerating a little upon writing that post, as Vika could have played better during that period, but Elaine was playing extremely well until that missed match point. As in slapping winners left and right.

Reactions: KCatty

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Such a sweet upset win ! Azarenka is back !!! :hearts: :bounce: :drool:

Amazing comeback in 3rd set !!! 2-5 -> 7-5 !!! Saved a MP too ! :speakles: :bowdown:

The WTA needs her. A high quality player. And strong fighter. NEVER giving up :worship:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
This match will have consequences for both, what an epic (two rain delays at least).

Azarenka finds some form on her worst surface: She will be dangerous at Wimbledon and in the summer of US Hard Courts.

Hope Vika can finally win the U.S. Open. I always rooted for Serena in those two finals Vika made, but I’d still like to see Vika finally win one. Always thought Vika was capable of at least five slams, but something always got in her way. Maybe Vika can win this title, too. (Fingers crossed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
She was due for such a big fricking lucky win:sobbing: May be this win will add to her momentum!! Her mental strength is what missing from her game right now. Losing that 5-4.game in the first sets have become a habit now! Hope this win gives her confidence back a bit! Its amazing when she starts fighting. She is second only to Rena in that department! ??

Felt really bad when Elina missed that easy put away but once Vika started fighting back i forgot that quickly:p Elina:hug: Hope she can do well in Paris this year!

·
Registered
13,817 Posts
I cannot believe that Vika won, or rather that Svitolina lost. So many breaks of serve though and astrange match with amazing quality from both one minute and then stupid UEs the next. .

Let's hope that Vika can build on this and get back to playing her best tennis consistently. I would love to see her back in the top 10.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Vika showing em how it’s done :worship:

The WTA *desperately* needs fight like hers

Reactions: rucolo

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
She definitely isn't my favourite player, but it's hard not to feel sorry for Elina with the injury issues this season. It happens to all players at some point in their careers, but it's still hard to watch.

Good win for Vikachka.

·
Registered
161 Posts

So many girls with poor 2nd serves in Top 10, but you're right opponents haven't caught on to Svitolina's bad 2nd serve, or Osaka's—I think their powerful 1st serves deceive the others into thinking their 2nd serves are similarly strong when they ain't.....
Bencic crushed many Svitolina and Osaka 2nd serves in Dubai and Osaka again in Indian Wells. It was a big part in helping her win.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I hope Elaine isn't too affected mentally by this match. I think she will be fine though considering she survived Roland Garros 2017 and the dark days of last year's skinny phase.

It was such a weird match because overall the third set was extremely high quality from both at many points (Elaine was practically unplayable until 5-2), but both also threw in several inexplicable misses. Tough conditions though.
"Virtually unplayable," yet had only held once at that point in the set? Yeah, um, okay.

ETA: saw your response above... And retract most of my snark. ;-)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Rome R2: Azarenka comes back vs Svitolina 4-6 6-1 7-5

Nobody cares? It's been hours since the match ended :hysteric:
Vika came back from 2-5 vs the 2-time defending champion. When was her last top-10 victory?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just HOW does Svitolina win only ONE point off second serves in the last WHOLE 2 SETS? And HOW does she get to 5-2 with that kind of serve? She even got a match point! That’s totally absurd. 4/35 on second serve points today.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Re: Rome R2: Azarenka comes back vs Svitolina 4-6 6-1 7-5

There were 4 threads about this the second the match finished

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
Re: Rome R2: Azarenka comes back vs Svitolina 4-6 6-1 7-5

Forum errors??

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Great win for Vika but Svitolina is not nearly her best so I'm taking it at face value. Good win against a good, but rusty player coming back from injury.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts