Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
27,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Even though it says that the last post in Live Commentary thread was 1 minute ago, when I open the thread, I cannot see any post posted in last 2-3 hours..Did anyone else face the same issue?
Livescore Thread Vikalume Vol. 8 was a mess too, basically all the posts from today's match disappear...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Oh my goodness 3 threads :lol:

Only saw the final set, a highly entertaining mess. Svitolina rushed out to a double break lead with *3-0 and was REALLY feeling her FH CC, she must have had like 10 winners from that shot alone in the final set. Then she slowly lost the plot and a breakfest ensued, which wasn't surprising. What WAS surprising was Svitolina hitting an atrocious drive volley while having MP at *5-2, then proceeding to stink up the court with errors. Once again showing how she fails to find a fine line between defense and aggression in important moments (also exemplified by the breadstick she ate in the second set, I assume).

Vika though was amazing after being gifted another look into the match and never looked back. 3rd Top 10 win this season for Vika, a good chance for the QF too with Collins/Muguruza next. Her level is pretty good apart from some concentration blips and her 2nd serve (so bad), she's been playing good matches but not having deep runs yet so we'll see. It's a matter of time. As for the 'Queen of Rome', coming back from injury is hard and she loses a shitload of points. No Top 8 seeding for her at RG.

Victoria :worship: Came back from 2-5 down in the third set to save the tournament! Now the Italian Open doesn’t have to suffer the indignity of having Basiclina as vulture champion for the third time in a row! :bowdown:

Another fun stat - Svitolina won just 4 of 35 points on her second serve :spit: Pathetic for a top 10 player. Why don’t the other girls go after those puffballs the way Vika did today?!
:lol:

Her 2nd serve is still so bad. So many girls with poor 2nd serves in Top 10, but you're right opponents haven't caught on to Svitolina's bad 2nd serve, or Osaka's—I think their powerful 1st serves deceive the others into thinking their 2nd serves are similarly strong when they ain't.

Also patiently awaiting a sig update from you :eek:h:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I absolutely love both but I was hoping for Vika to win because I need her to go on a roll and get back up ASAP.

I am happy that Elina looks healthy enough. I think the rain delay and how late (cold, windy, wet) this match was affected her. I hope this loss doesn't affect her too much.

Vika took on the second serve so much in this match. It was really a rare case for her to actually not win one. This affected Elina with the first serve too.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That was pure madness, how Azarenka turned that 3rd set around. And now Svitolina's reign in Rome has ended. To think where Azarenka was only a year ago here in Rome and where she is now, truly amazing. Not that Svitolina was in any way exceptional today, but this time last year Azarenka was getting tossed around pretty badly by Osaka in R1, the same Osaka who would be rolled over into a bagel and a breadstick by Halep in the very next round. Look at Azarenka now, beating the defending Rome champion only a year later.

She has Collins or Muguruza next, so I could see her making at least the quarterfinals now.

·
Registered
31,043 Posts
I hope Elaine isn't too affected mentally by this match. I think she will be fine though considering she survived Roland Garros 2017 and the dark days of last year's skinny phase.

It was such a weird match because overall the third set was extremely high quality from both at many points (Elaine was practically unplayable until 5-2), but both also threw in several inexplicable misses. Tough conditions though.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
What an insane match! For once luck was solidly on Vika's side as she got that complete shank facing match point down and two very close netcords on pretty big points in the third set went her way. But she took full advantage of it :bowdown:.

Vika has now beaten top ten opponents in three of her last four tournaments and taken a set off one in the fourth. And three were on clay. I don't want to get ahead of myself but her comeback is finally picking up some steam!!
Maybe we all need to listen to Fisette’s wisdom and confidence!

·
Premium Member
181,826 Posts
Vika needed this badly :hearts:
Just never gave up even after she went 0/3* down & still after losing serve twice more.
Hoping Svitolina gets it back for RG
She needs to take a WC next week

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
That looked over at 52, but Svitolina had a lot of trouble closing and holding serve. Maybe she is a little rusty or maybe Vika is improving. Vika is certainly giving full effort. There was no quit in any part of this match for her

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
It's all about confidence. Azarenka has been playing so well and again removes a seed; Svitolina has now lost four matches in a row and is winless this clay season, her worst CC season ever, so not surprising she choked when she got the chance to win. She needs to take a WC into Strasbourg or Nuremberg to get a few wins or she could be going out early in Paris too!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I hope Elaine isn't too affected mentally by this match. I think she will be fine though considering she survived Roland Garros 2017 and the dark days of last year's skinny phase.

It was such a weird match because overall the third set was extremely high quality from both at many points (Elaine was practically unplayable until 5-2), but both also threw in several inexplicable misses. Tough conditions though.
Let's not exaggerate, shall we? There is no such thing as 'unplayable Svitolina'.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts