Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Good match, I was quite impressed with both, especially considering Svitolina's struggles earlier in the year.

Next round is likely against Kontaveit, which sounds like a great match.

Registered
Good tennis from Elina, I was impressed considering such a long break. Also I noticed that her 2nd serve has improved, there was hardly a single one below 130 kph and they were usually well placed. I recall many matches of Svitolina when she would give opponents multiple 110-115 kph serves to snack on. You could tell that she was working on it.

As for Nastya ... the same old, same old. Choked 4-1 lead in the 2nd set.

Registered
Despite the fact neither was playing their best this was the most entertaining match I have seen here in Rome so far. Very impressive comeback for Svitolina

Registered
Oh Pavly, things remain the same.... With a proper brain, she would have no issue beating players like this.

Registered
Congrats Svitolina. TF blood pressure must be high today. Made a competitive second set Pavlyuchenkova. Both amazing, talented, wonderful, signature girls.

Registered
Good, Elina just needs to clean up a bit of rust here and there, especially on closing the matches, and thereafter she can bag a 3rd one. Good try by Pav in the 2nd.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12

Registered
This match epitomizes why Pavs has never made that next step. She just throws away opportunities with too many mistakes. Brilliant shots one moment, and then bad errors the next. She goes from 4-2 40-0 in the second set to 4-5 down and facing 2 match points. She manages to stave them off and break back, but then blows a chance at breaking to take the set, and throws away the TB with errors.

Registered
Good tennis from Elina, I was impressed considering such a long break. Also I noticed that her 2nd serve has improved, there was hardly a single one below 130 kph and they were usually well placed. I recall many matches of Svitolina when she would give opponents multiple 110-115 kph serves to snack on. You could tell that she was working on it.

first set yeah but probably u missed to watch the second set. her level dropped badly, horrible second serve which nastia finished with return winners most of the time! svit deserved to lose today but pavs is pavs, volatile and inconsistent! never seen such a random top player like pavs!

Registered
This match epitomizes why Pavs has never made that next step. She just throws away opportunities with too many mistakes. Brilliant shots one moment, and then bad errors the next. She goes from 4-2 40-0 in the second set to 4-5 down and facing 2 match points. She manages to stave them off and break back, but then blows a chance at breaking to take the set, and throws away the TB with errors.
It was with break in the 2nd Set alot ,Pavly was aggressive then from the start of the 2nd Set. Svitolina was tidy in the 1st Set .Good Match.

Registered
Is this Elina's first Premier match win of the year? For a first match back it was a good performance; she looked fairly composed. Well, she does love Rome! Good since her opponent is someone she struggles against typically. She's definitely worked on the second serve, it's finally not a free gift to the opponent - she's upped the pace as well as directionality. It did get a tad shaky at the tail end of the second set, but otherwise okay.

As fort Pavs, she did typical Pavs things. Has all the shots, but poor mental + physical strength, and dumb shot selections plague her career.

Registered

Registered
I kinda find it rather amusing that Svitolina who is considered to be the epitome of boring tennis player quietly puts together a very solid career as a staple in the top 10 with some decent P5 hardwares to show for, is dating Monfils who is a highlight reel of some of the most entertaining tennis but also considered to have wasted away some major potential and talent, by being focused on flashiness over aiming to improve on basic fundamentals.

I wonder if this is a case of opposite attract in a way?

Registered

Pavs wasn't 4-1 up. She was 3-0 but Svitolina broke back for 3-2.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts