Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Milk and honey
3,440 Posts
Jo :bigclap: brilliant effort today. Somehow lost the first from 4-0 up and I assumed that would be it for her, but she kept plugging away, trying to find her rhythm and range, and eked out a close second set. Even in the third, for the most part Stephens was still giving it her best effort, but she's been in poor form lately and this is why I thought Jo had a chance at this one.

Jo really found her backhand towards the end of this match, the forehand has been more solid than usual lately. That's now 4 maindraw appearances for Konta in Rome, and she's made it to the R16 every time :lol: what is it about Rome for Jo?

Huge task against Venus next, who hasn't played since Tuesday and will be much fresher. 2.5 hours against Sloane will do worlds for Jo's confidence but she has one of the toughest turnarounds of anyone today, as she'll be on court again in just under 3 hours. :unsure: Since losing to Jo 3 times in a row at one point, Vee has always gotten up for Konta and plays some of her better tennis every time against her now, so I'm dreading that match :sad: it's on Centrale too which plays so differently from the other courts. Fingers crossed for a miracle :lol:

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Losing to Konta on clay must be a new low, even for someone like Stephens :lol:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Fantastic! Well do done Jo!

·
Registered
31,050 Posts
Good god that was horrible Scone :help::help::help:. Early last week I was wondering why she had already taken a wildcard into Strasbourg when she had a good chance to go deep at the two bigger clay events, but now that decision is looking very good :rolleyes:.

At least she lost to a player I like though :). Good to see Konta continuing to build form. It's funny how Rome is her best clay event when it plays the most traditionally. She has made great strides in figuring out this surface this year though.

·
Registered
31,050 Posts
Jo :bigclap: brilliant effort today. Somehow lost the first from 4-0 up and I assumed that would be it for her, but she kept plugging away, trying to find her rhythm and range, and eked out a close second set. Even in the third, for the most part Stephens was still giving it her best effort, but she's been in poor form lately and this is why I thought Jo had a chance at this one.

Jo really found her backhand towards the end of this match, the forehand has been more solid than usual lately. That's now 4 maindraw appearances for Konta in Rome, and she's made it to the R16 every time :lol: what is it about Rome for Jo?

Huge task against Venus next, who hasn't played since Tuesday and will be much fresher. 2.5 hours against Sloane will do worlds for Jo's confidence but she has one of the toughest turnarounds of anyone today, as she'll be on court again in just under 3 hours. :unsure: Since losing to Jo 3 times in a row at one point, Vee has always gotten up for Konta and plays some of her better tennis every time against her now, so I'm dreading that match :sad: it's on Centrale too which plays so differently from the other courts. Fingers crossed for a miracle :lol:
Debatable. Scone still acted like she cared in the third but was too lazy to make any inroads in the third set and several times had a lead in a game then lost a string of points in a hurry to increase the deficit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bad result but irrelevant since next match is rigged for Venus who's been resting for three days. Probably Sloane lost on purpose and it was the right call.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Even with Jo playing 2 matches in one day, and Vee getting a nice rest day, with Venus' current body I still am not convinced she'll be 'fresher'. :lol: Especially after the 3hour+ shitfight against Mertens. With Sloane's form, fitness, and level of effort lately I would rather Vee have played her lol.

Still, even with all the asterisks around Sloane, this is a really good win for Konta on clay. She has a lot of momentum going right now in a part of the season she usually isn't a factor in.

·
Milk and honey
3,440 Posts
Even with Jo playing 2 matches in one day, and Vee getting a nice rest day, with Venus' current body I still am not convinced she'll be 'fresher'. :lol: Especially after the 3hour+ shitfight against Mertens. With Sloane's form, fitness, and level of effort lately I would rather Vee have played her lol.

Still, even with all the asterisks around Sloane, this is a really good win for Konta on clay. She has a lot of momentum going right now in a part of the season she usually isn't a factor in.
Sorry, I meant to write *Monday, not Tuesday :lol: the 2 days off will definitely have helped Vee recover from that 3 hour match but yes, fresh perhaps isn't the right word for her at the moment haha.

I feel like Konta will start well and Vee will get off to a usual slow start, before working her way in. If Vee does take Jo out here again, like 2 years ago, I hope she can keep going and produce a great week :cheer: her ranking needs it.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Sorry, I meant to write *Monday, not Tuesday :lol: the 2 days off will definitely have helped Vee recover from that 3 hour match but yes, fresh perhaps isn't the right word for her at the moment haha.

I feel like Konta will start well and Vee will get off to a usual slow start, before working her way in. If Vee does take Jo out here again, like 2 years ago, I hope she can keep going and produce a great week :cheer: her ranking needs it.
I can see the match shaping up the same way (re: the slow start), and I had actually forgotten they played here in 2017! :eek: It's probably good preparation even for whoever loses that they'll battle here before RG comes around (and grass given that Wimbledon is only 3 weeks later). Facing a name player, on a big show court on slow clay is as good preparation as you can get for what is (for both) their worst slam.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Bad result but irrelevant since next match is rigged for Venus who's been resting for three days. Probably Sloane lost on purpose and it was the right call.
Seriously? Even to this day, there are still people thinking this?

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Not good, at all. LOL. Sloane is just not there... physically or mentally. For her style of game, her fitness is not anywhere near where it needs to be. She will definitely be out of Top 10 after the FO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts