Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone is checking their TW accounts this evening, there might be some shade on the cards (with Bajin chippin in as a surprise guest?)

Mostly low level, low IQ BBB as expected, with Anisimova being a tad more solid until 6-4 5*-4. After she failed to serve it out, Yastremska began finding the court with increasing frequency, and rolled over her in the decider. Both have such clean groundstrokes, but Dayana's are quite a bit more powerful: the difference in winners was rather big today.

Halep will most likely have a field day against such inconsistency, unless Yastremska is able to channel her inner Lucic-Baroni.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The Battle of The Blisters was won by Dayana.

The First two sets were quite average, with Amanda failing to serve out the match at 5-4.
The third set was a better level, with dayana playing the far better in my opinion.
Having said all that, both really need to find something if they want to go deep in Paris.

Dayana had 7 double faults in the second set, and 10 altogether, and the error count was high by both, 41 to dayana and 44 to Amanda.
Dayana had double the winners, 33 to 17.

Both took a MTO at the end of the first set for blisters, dayana for her feet, and Amanda for her hand which she did in her first match.
At times there were some very good rallies, but not enough of them.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Dayana is finally starting to get some decent runs at tournaments above the International level this year. 2 very tight matches which she comes through, well done. The racket tap at the end was hilarious. Not the best quality, but there were some flashy points here and there.

·
Registered
37,404 Posts
I thought Amanda would win this comfortably, she normally eats up BBBs like Yastremska and Sabalenka. Didn't get on top of enough rallies though and got really exposed at some points.

I genuinely do not understand how Anisimova's serve and movement are so bad. The technique on the serve is pretty ok. Definitely not perfect but she should be able to hit it much harder, much more accurately and much more consistently than she does. She looks perfectly fit as well so I have no idea how she is so slow, it felt like every time she got moved even slightly the point was over. Putting those two things together and she really struggled getting through service games, at least when Yastremska found the court.

I got the feeling that Anisimova really dislikes Yastremska. I'm not a fan of the MTOs and all the weird tweets and statements, but it was obvious how bothered Amanda was by everything Yastremska did. The racket tap was expectantly brisk. I wonder if they have any bad history going back to Juniors, because as strange as Yastremska can be off-court she doesn't really seem nasty or widely disliked on tour. Anisimova took more MTOs today anyway.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I got the feeling that Anisimova really dislikes Yastremska. I'm not a fan of the MTOs and all the weird tweets and statements, but it was obvious how bothered Amanda was by everything Yastremska did. The racket tap was expectantly brisk. I wonder if they have any bad history going back to Juniors, because as strange as Yastremska can be off-court she doesn't really seem nasty or widely disliked on tour. Anisimova took more MTOs today anyway.
I've been wondering about this too since they seemed to be on friendly terms as juniors judging from this pic.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Could it be that they are very different with regards to values and things they consider important in life? No offence, but Dayana seems a little bit shallow with her IG-posts and had that much talked photoshoot. Amanda on the other side seems very sensitive and involved with things that are going on worldwide. Not sure this has anything to do with the 'beef', but according to me they are like water and fire.

Fyi: I like both, Amanda considerably more though 😅

·
Premium Member
27,285 Posts
Pretty disappointing result given the circumstances. Hopefully Amanda can hire a real coach at some stage and have a good training block.

·
Registered
778 Posts
girl please get a serve

·
Premium Member
27,285 Posts
Could it be that they are very different with regards to values and things they consider important in life? No offence, but Dayana seems a little bit shallow with her IG-posts and had that much talked photoshoot. Amanda on the other side seems very sensitive and involved with things that are going on worldwide. Not sure this has anything to do with the 'beef', but according to me they are like water and fire.

Fyi: I like both, Amanda considerably more though 😅
Agreed

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Dayana is a far superior player in my opinion. Good thing, she won.

·
CGS
7,593 Posts
At this rate, Anisimova is like another Hantuchova. Average serve, clean groundstrokes, average movement. She moves even worse than Sharapova. She should do something with her career, hide someone to try to improve her weaknesses. Her flawless groundstrokes will not take her too far with those big flaws.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I thought Amanda would win this comfortably, she normally eats up BBBs like Yastremska and Sabalenka. Didn't get on top of enough rallies though and got really exposed at some points.

I genuinely do not understand how Anisimova's serve and movement are so bad. The technique on the serve is pretty ok. Definitely not perfect but she should be able to hit it much harder, much more accurately and much more consistently than she does. She looks perfectly fit as well so I have no idea how she is so slow, it felt like every time she got moved even slightly the point was over. Putting those two things together and she really struggled getting through service games, at least when Yastremska found the court.

Well, obviously they're both competing to be the next Sharapova.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dayana probably isn't the smartest person around - I mean, that Bajin TW exchange was embarrassing - but still she never responded to all the shade Amanda threw at her in the last few weeks: first the LOL comment (agreeable, and funny, in a way), but then she continued retweeting Brengle's video after the USO R2 match, liking that other one saying Dayana is more stupid and ignorant than the whole ATP... now, that's a bit distasteful.
For all her immaturity and childishness, even after today's win Yastremska took the high road, leaving the court do the talking, and simply tweeting her happiness for the victory. If anything, it's the sensitive and profound Anisimova who looked pressed and a tad childish, this time around.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts