Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
This is how all their matches will be. Neither of them is consistent enough to be seen deep into tournaments on a regular basis, and on the off-chance they are drawn to play each other, somebody is slumping.

Muguruza played well, she hasn't played a lot since the restart but from what I've seen has been good (apart from the collapse after failing to serve out the 1st set vs. Pirru). Sloane wasn't bad, but she's not there mentally on court. That last game is kind of emblematic of where she is at the moment: struggling first serve, and nothing on her ball allowing Muguruza to hit 3 DTL in a row and seize the match. It's sad...

Reactions: Matmagix

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Muguruza played really well with her BH and pretty well on serve, but - despite closing the match with a spectacular winner DTL - her FH still doesn't convince me: it's brittle and streaky, and not sure it will hold up against better opposition in pressure moments. It's good she seems motivated, though.

·
Registered
27,781 Posts
“Sloane played well”? lolz
I know the standard for her is on the floor but she was dreadful out there....slow, lethargic shotmaking, looked miserable as sin.
She dragged Garbine down to her level at the end of that first set but the Spaniard snapped out of it after the rain delay and played a tidy second set.

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
This is how all their matches will be. Neither of them is consistent enough to be seen deep into tournaments on a regular basis, and on the off-chance they are drawn to play each other, somebody is slumping.

Muguruza played well, she hasn't played a lot since the restart but from what I've seen has been good (apart from the collapse after failing to serve out the 1st set vs. Pirru). Sloane wasn't bad, but she's not there mentally on court. That last game is kind of emblematic of where she is at the moment: struggling first serve, and nothing on her ball allowing Muguruza to hit 3 DTL in a row and seize the match. It's sad...
I actually think Muguruza is having a decent year—all things considered. No really embarrassing loss this season YET. If she can have a nice run here, which is tough with that section, I would see her as a legitimate dark horse for the French.

·
Registered
278 Posts
“Sloane played well”? lolz
I have to agree with that. From the bit a saw Sloane didn't play well. She had no energy, and of course the biggest problem was she was too passive and her ball didn't have any weight on it. But these issues are the same ones she has been battling for two years now. On a positive note she appeared to be in better physical shape than the last time I saw her which is a start I guess.

It looked like Muguruza played well but it's hard to say for sure because Sloane shots had no weight on them so Muguruza had plenty of time to take control of the points.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
A hiccup at the close of set one from Garbi, but generally a tidy dismissal. 🧡

Sloane..... :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
Stephens is the laziest female player I’ve ever seen. No intensity, no purpose and no desire to be the aggressive player in rallies.
What is wrong with her serve. Why doesn’t she try to hit it as hard as she can and ace her opponent. She doesn’t have a shoulder injury as far as I know. Muguraza was getting loads of easy points on her serve. She had a powerful serve years ago now she rolls it in most of the time and treats it as a means to just get the ball over the net and begin the rally.

Muguraza played well however much she was helped by Stephens. She was committed always trying to be the aggressive player and come to the net when she had the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Garbine's first FIVE events of the season were QF or better......

·
Registered
603 Posts
Pros: She’s fitter.
Cons: Everything else.

How I wish she’d get rid of Kamau. He hasn’t done shit since 2018.

She’s absolutely miserable on court and probably dying to go home and see her fiancé she hasn’t seen in months. 2020 is pretty much a done deal tennis wise. I hope she gets married this offseason so she can at least attempt to focus in 2021.

Garbi served well today and had more fire this match than she did in the USO 2nd round when she lost. I wonder if that had something to do with Stan in the stands?

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Yeah, the chances of both being in good form at the same time must be like 0,0001%. Normally at least one of them is useless, this time Sloane.

Muguruza played really well with her BH and pretty well on serve, but - despite closing the match with a spectacular winner DTL - her FH still doesn't convince me: it's brittle and streaky, and not sure it will hold up against better opposition in pressure moments. It's good she seems motivated, though.
It won't, as usual.

·
Registered
44,229 Posts
That was one dire match tbh. There was no rhythm at all for the majority of time. They both hit flashy winners, but there were so many errors inbetween. Sloane sadly looked like she wasn't fully invested once again.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Garbine looked pretty good for most of the match, but a few wobbles closing out the first set from 5-1. To me she just looks more confident and happier on the court since the dark days with Sam when she was just joyless.

Talking of joyless... oh Sloane! She must be an absolute nightmare to coach as there is no logic to her form at times. A few brilliant shots then a slew of careless errors and sloppy shots.
Lightning was fun. Very loud. Guess God wasn’t enjoying the match either 😀

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Pros: She’s fitter.
Cons: Everything else.

How I wish she’d get rid of Kamau. He hasn’t done shit since 2018.

She’s absolutely miserable on court and probably dying to go home and see her fiancé she hasn’t seen in months. 2020 is pretty much a done deal tennis wise. I hope she gets married this offseason so she can at least attempt to focus in 2021.

Garbi served well today and had more fire this match than she did in the USO 2nd round when she lost. I wonder if that had something to do with Stan in the stands?
I don't think Kamau's the problem. He can only do so much. Sloane's the one playing, and she has to bring the intensity and the desire. Kamau can't coach that for her. It wasn't until the final game where she shouted a "Come on." after a winner. And remember, she and Kamau split briefly early in 2019, and with the exception of a few random results at Madrid and RG, she didn't do anything.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think Kamau's the problem. He can only do so much. Sloane's the one playing, and she has to bring the intensity and the desire. Kamau can't coach that for her. It wasn't until the final game where she shouted a "Come on." after a winner. And remember, she and Kamau split briefly early in 2019, and with the exception of a few random results at Madrid and RG, she didn't do anything.

Definitely agree that Kamau can only do so much, but there are technical flaws in her game (serve, backhand) and flaws in her tactics (way too passive, not using her forehand to build points, poor court positioning) that seem unaddressed. Not sure what they work on in practice - it could be that Kamau tells her all the right things and she just refuses to do them.

To me, her game looked much better than it's looked since maybe the YEC in 2018 during last year's clay season. She was with Sven Groeneveld at the time. I'm not sure why that didn't last, but he seemed to get through to her.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Garbine's first FIVE events of the season were QF or better......
And she lost 2R at the 2020 US Open. 1R in Beijing 2019, 2R in Wuhan in 2019, then AO Final 2020 - hardly spells consistency.

Reactions: Perun
1 - 20 of 34 Posts