Tennis Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
As soon as i knew clay would be quite muddy after the showers Rome had lately, i thought Leylah would lose fast even against an ailing Pavs. What a pleasant surprise for me to witness - again - another comeback like very few fighters like her can do in the midst of a match!!! In the 1st, Leylah struggled a lot in that MUD ( below top 80 ), and experience served Pavs somewhat but only for a while. In the 3rd set, LAF played like a top 30, Pavs like a top 150 but i feel for her - i know she's still struggling after difficult times lately and an injury. Fitness also way below pro level.

Most of all, She probably thought at the beginning of the 2nd it was already sealed against a supposedly weak player on clay. Another player to under estimate Leylah, and she learned the hard way why the shorty lefty as a great win ratio in 3 setters...... Another upset!(y)
I don’t think she thinks she is sealed for the win. She tried hard, but her fitnesss level just does not allow her to compete against a mighty defender.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Really hats off to LAF for turning this around. She looked in deep trouble at the end of the first set. But she seemed to find the right tactical mix thereafter. Nice variety, good volleys. And didn't try too hard to force the pace and instead worked the angles.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Wait a minute. Didn’t someone posted that there won’t be Russian players in Rome? Where does these bombshell information come from…

41 - 50 of 50 Posts