·
Registered
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: PLP

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
The US Open won't be played, certainly not between August 31 and September 13. That's why Organizers like Rome want a Clay Event.
US Users here on TF need to give up on US HC Swing!

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
It makes sense to have a big event on clay in Europe before Paris
As for NY, on Wednesday Belmont Park opens and they are about 20 minutes from the US Open site. So dont write off the US hard court season now

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It makes sense to have a big event on clay in Europe before Paris
As for NY, on Wednesday Belmont Park opens and they are about 20 minutes from the US Open site. So dont write off the US hard court season now

Here you go again comparing a menial event where spectators are far away from the competitors to the Open.

Reactions: iGOAT

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
There have to be 500 or so horses there to have a meet. That means grooms, trainers, jockeys, track maintenance people, vets, outriders, starting gate crew, stewards and plenty more people
And this starts June 3 very near the US Open site. Belmont stakes is June 20.

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There have to be 500 or so horses there to have a meet. That means grooms, trainers, jockeys, track maintenance people, vets, outriders, starting gate crew, stewards and plenty more people
And this starts June 3 very near the US Open site. Belmont stakes is June 20.
I think I know New York better than you.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The US Open won't be played, certainly not between August 31 and September 13. That's why Organizers like Rome want a Clay Event.
US Users here on TF need to give up on US HC Swing!

at this point, the USO seems increasingly likely to be played as scheduled... what are you going to do, show up in Queens and start picketing to demand that the tournament be halted?

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
I can understand people want caution, but every other sport will be going on by then, and the NY governor already said he wants sports
So I dont understand the "cant happen" talk. It certainly can happen and I wont be surprised if there is a tennis tournament every week from September thru Dec

Reactions: vogus_emeritus

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can understand people want caution, but every other sport will be going on by then, and the NY governor already said he wants sports
So I dont understand the "cant happen" talk. It certainly can happen and I wont be surprised if there is a tennis tournament every week from September thru Dec
Why do you keep comparing every other sport to tennis? It's getting old.

The "can't happen" talk is because the National Tennis Center is/was being used as a field hospital. Never seen you once bring that up.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yesterday NYC had 35 new deaths from covid-19, But near the first of April NYC had almost 600 new deaths per day.
New deaths dropping from 600 to 35 at the 1st of June, so what will the new deaths from covid-19 be like in August., possible zero.

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday NYC had 35 new deaths from covid-19, But near the first of April NYC had almost 600 new deaths per day.
New deaths dropping from 600 to 35 at the 1st of June, so what will the new deaths from covid-19 be like in August., possible zero.
It's not that simple.

·
Registered
35,793 Posts
NYC is scheduled to begin Phase 1 of its reopening process on June 8. They will have to wait two weeks before determining whether moving to Phase 2 is an option, and I'd imagine the results of that will heavily dictate whether the tournament is held or not held. They've all but confirmed the tournament won't have spectators this year.

They are considering a multitude of other options, although none of them are set in stone yet. Among them are chartering flights for group of players, no locker room access on practice days, requiring players to return to their hotel immediately after practicing, and limiting player entourages to no more than four people.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Rome should be played before FO. It should serve as a warm up, not an afterthought.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I don't even really care about tennis at this point, but God, how I hope the US Open is played just to piss some people off.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't even really care about tennis at this point, but God, how I hope the US Open is played just to piss some people off.
As soon as they announce on June 15th that the American hard court season WILL be played in August with the obvious precautions and safety measures, all of those skeptical users will magically stay quiet for a few weeks or bring their nonsense to other topics.
Everything seems to point in the direction that international tennis tournaments will resume in the US just in time for the Open: The special exemption granted by the government to international athletes, World Team Tennis in July, the plan that the USTA has already laid out.

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
larryd and I both think the tours will resume. But we still want them all to be safe and cautious.
So far all the exhibitions, has anyone heard any bad news?
It sounds like everything is going fine so far, and if the June and July exhibitions go smoothly, I still see no reason tennis cannot be played.
i still say its the easiest sport to play now, along with golf, especially if politicians allow the players to travel

1 - 20 of 35 Posts