Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Osaka, Kvitova, Williams and Muguruza all withdrew with fake precautionary injuries to either avoid uncomfortable matches or save themselves for Roland Garros. Despite playing on her favourite surface, Halep tanked the third set in her match to avoid playing twice in one day. The draw of a Premier 5 now looks like an international.

Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Del Porto and Tsitsipas all fought their way through one of the most difficult days of the year with great professionalism, won their two matches and regularly made the quarterfinals. This is called respecting your tour.
And people wonder why most of the tennis investments and resources go to the ATP and nobody cares about the WTA?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

Somebody missed the Federer memo :lol:

You are definitely part of their team and know the injuries are fake, too...

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Respecting your tour. :lol: All athletes are selfish and only play for themselves, don't kid yourself.

But leave poor Fed out of it, he is a bad example. He is a 37 year old man who was grinded mercilessly by a 22 year old and gave everything to win it by his toenails. And he barely ever retires.

·
Registered
29,828 Posts
I wrote this already - a lot ot WTA players are not in fact professional as athletes. Withdraws, tanks, not caring, walkovers are daily routine in WTA.

If players don't care why people should care.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I wouldn't blame the players.

Rome is unfortunately scheduled right after Madrid and shortly before RG. And when one or two days of bad weather occur it can become a scheduling mess.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
This thread didn't age well...

Plus small sample size.
Plus there is documentation about ATP players' withdrawals:
ATP World Tour's exciting final few months is defined by withdrawals as race to world No1 is ruined by injuries | City A.M.
Tennis - Failure to complete - Numbers behind the rate of withdrawals and retirements on ATP Tour --> this kinda led to the change in rules around withdrawals in GS R1
Also, no proof whatsoever that someone "tanked", or that someone's withdrawal wasn't legit (if you have even a very minor health concern, and you don't want to risk it, YES- it's legit)... Bullshit thread, like many others here...

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
It didn't age well and he was a bit too agressive, but the OP certainly has a point about the tours. ATP Players really care for Masters 1000. Compare Nadal and Djokovic's record on them to Serena's on PMs/P5s. I don't think is right to accuse someone of faking injury but the numbers don't lie and is really a big problem. But well, if the most successful player of the generation has a blatant disregard for anything that is not a slam, what can we expect from the others?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If grand slams are the biggest tournaments, it makes sense that players would rather preserve their bodies than grind it out in Rome, especially after most of them playing 2 matches in one day. The way that French Open and Wimbledon is set up, it's really important for the players to have as much rest as possible to do well in these two tournaments.

·
Registered
Serena! Naomi. Coco. Simona. Iga. Ashleigh.
2,630 Posts
But well, if the most successful player of the generation has a blatant disregard for anything that is not a slam, what can we expect from the others?

Wow. So it’s Serena’s fault when others withdraw? Maybe you can get her held responsible for global warming and world poverty, too. Back when she was winning everything certain people complained, and now there’re complaints about her not playing. Child, please.

Anyway, I agree with what others have already said about withdrawals. I think it’s so hard to win back to back tourneys because of parity and also because of playing too many matches in too few weeks. No need to risk injury trying to win Rome and Madrid when FO is right around the corner. Besides, we still have some good clay players like Bertens left in the draw. I wouldn’t mind watching her win another event.

Not all ATP players give 100% either. The commentators the other day were just complaining about how Kyrgios has massively underachieved. With that said, I don’t quite understand why there’s such a need to constantly compare WTA and ATP. WTA has hardworking people too. Azarenka still has desire in her, and you cannot say she doesn’t give effort. Her game isn’t what is was, but she doesn’t tank or half-ass. Naomi has been a worthy number one, and Halep works hard too. No need to be so negative about WTA all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Osaka, Kvitova, Williams and Muguruza all withdrew with fake precautionary injuries to either avoid uncomfortable matches or save themselves for Roland Garros. Despite playing on her favourite surface, Halep tanked the third set in her match to avoid playing twice in one day. The draw of a Premier 5 now looks like an international.

Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Del Porto and Tsitsipas all fought their way through one of the most difficult days of the year with great professionalism, won their two matches and regularly made the quarterfinals. This is called respecting your tour.
And people wonder why most of the tennis investments and resources go to the ATP and nobody cares about the WTA?
Well they say in comedy timing is everything so I guess this is a great post.:lol:

·
Registered
835 Posts
have you seen the weather forecast for Rome? not great for next 3 days.
but now we are at the business end of the tournament surely there wont be any more pull outs

1 - 20 of 186 Posts