·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Re: Rome 1R Venus eventually def Mertens 7-5 3-6 7-6(4_

Vee cruising 5-1
Then chokes away to be 5-5
Vee breaks 6-5
Quick service game, broken 6-6
Tiebreak Mertens looks solid, then midway makes 3/4 errors in a row and Vee holds her nerve to win the tiebreak

Amazing

·
Registered
42,276 Posts
9 MP

The last twenty mins was actually really good because of the drama, the rest of the match was horrible! I’m happy for Venus to win but that was painful!

Mertens being amazing on every match point and she saved them all with winners then smacks a forehand return out on the 9th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115,505 Posts
Venus is almost 39 and she lasted in 3 long clay sets. 9th match point

Reactions: I_CLAUDIA_1961

·
Registered
853 Posts
So...what’s up with venus’ serve? I know it’s been an issue for a while, but what’s preventing her from serving hard?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Good Lord... Only needed 9 match points (!!!) and to play extra 35 minutes to get over the line. Projected loss vs Serena in the next round would not hurt anywhere near as it would is she had completely blown today's match. Mariana Alves the real MVP with over-rule on break point at 5all.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
LMAO the biggest and most entertaining shitfest of the year (3 hours). Both played well in patches but Venus pulled away quickly in the last set and somehow still won it. Elise though just gets more and more hilarious to watch. She totally disappeared in the third after she was broken while losing a 40-0 lead in her own service game. And then GOATing down some MPs only to eventually hand the TB with 4 (or was it 5) routine unforced errors in a row :lol:

·
Premium Member
66,184 Posts
Watching all that fight just to see Mertens slap those last two forehands miles in the bottom of the net and miles out. :yawn:

That call from Alves when Venus broke for *6-5 was super questionable. She initially looked to point wide at the mark, but with Venus’ dead stare and having ruled against her a couple of points back, it seemed to be like she hesitated and then gave her the point.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
One of the most painful Venus matches i've ever watched. I can't imagine how many grey hairs I have from that 3rd set alone. :hysteric: With all the break points she had early in the second set this could have been a comfortable straight sets win! She even extended the first set longer than she needed to. I honestly don't even want to talk about it lol.

Credit to Mertens playing lights out on MP after MP and dealing well with a pretty dodgy call at a crucial late point in the match.

I can't really think of any positives to take from this. :lol: But she's still here fighting. 20 years after she lifted the title.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It took 9 match points!
V was up 5-2 in the last set, failing to serve it out each time.
After Mertens broke to even the score at 5-5, Venus broke back to take a 6-5 lead.
Then she was broken at love while serving for the match again, setting up the tiebreak.

There were moments when Venus groundstrokes looked sharp but then she would give away many free points.
Mertens was actually surprisingly aggressive at times, taking the ball early on return and going for winners.
She raised her game on most of those match points so it must have been frustrating for Venus.
In the end V to eked out the win in her first match since Miami.

I've become used to Venus extending matches and winning the hard way so I was surprisingly calm during this, lol.
After that Bertens match in Miami where she squandered a 5-0 lead in the first set (losing it 5-7) and came back from a 3-5 deficit in the 3rd, I'm not fazed by anything.
I died and came back and fear death no more.

·
The fucking Venus Williams
8,124 Posts
So...what’s up with venus’ serve? I know it’s been an issue for a while, but what’s preventing her from serving hard?
Right arm injury plus her right knee, she has had it for a few years now, but in 2018 it got worse

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
A hot ass mess is all I can say. You know what to do Serena.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
In for another Williams sisters match..on clay, which they've hardly ever played on against each other. On clay the head to head is 2-1 to Serena but Venus' one win was at Rome. :eek:

·
Registered
29,828 Posts
Embarrassing from Mertens. Losing to grandma Venus :eek:

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
A painful match to watch anywhere I'm sure but especially through Google's live scores at my desk. Had to walk away at 5-5 in the third, but she did it y'all. Coming through for another All Williams affair.

I really need to see the highlights for this one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts