Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
52,384 Posts
Wow such sad news. Didn't know but he was on a staple of this tennis board and seemed very kind.
RIP

Reactions: Mark43

·
Registered
22,727 Posts
My condolences to Rollo and his family.

Reactions: Mark43

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Very sad news to hear of the passing on Rollo
A phenomonal wealth of tennis knowledge... always had some insight, tid bit, knowledge, article to contribute to basically any tennis topic in discussion!
The work he put into this forum is amazing.
And so inclusive to people in this forum... always made you feel welcome.
RIP Rollo.

·
Registered
19,109 Posts
Thank you all for sharing your kind stories about one of our fallen members. I didn’t interact with him much on the forum, but reading all these stories reinforce just what a community we’ve fostered here. And this place still means so much to so many of us.

RIP ROLLO

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Rollo mentioned a few months ago that he still hoped to interview Shirley Fry Irvin some day, perhaps after some semblance of normality had been restored to the world. It's a pity that he never got to do this before he passed away.

Ms Fry Irvin will turn 94 at the end of this month. I hope that she'll stay healthy and active for a long time and that someone else from BFTP will be able to honour our memory of Rollo by interviewing her and sharing her thoughts with the community here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
These are very sad news. Not only Rollo was the heart of BFTP and a very dedicated poster, but more importantly he was a genuinely nice guy. He made you feel welcome and part of a community.

Sometimes we forget that passion for tennis is what we all here have in common when coming here and get into stupid arguments, but he never did.

Let's hope we can all learn from his example and be an ounce of what he represented, otherwise the void he leaves will be hard to fill in.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,911 Posts
Gutted to hear about the passing of Rollo.

We joined this place at pretty much the same time. Must be 20 odd years ago now. We spoke about all sorts back then and he always wrote with such positivity.

An absolute gentleman who never had a bad word for anybody.

Rest in peace Rollo. Hit some aces up there for us all. You shall never be forgotten old pal. :cry:

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
What a shock to read this - and so very sad. He was such a lovely and knowledgeable poster and will be sorely missed. RIP Rollo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am shocked by the news that our dear Rollo passed away!!! I still find it hard to believe it and I delude myself that the news is not true, but I must admit that the comments of the obituary seem to confirm that William James Rollins is really Rollo. A comment reports that Bill had had the desire to return to China to teach English, and in a PM he wrote to me, many years ago, Rollo said he had taught many years in Japan, Korea and Indonesia. If he had taught also in China, I think he would have added it to the list he made me, and that commentator probably remembers badly and wrote China instead of another of the 3 Asian countries indicated by Rollo.
I remember that 2 years ago Rollo wrote in the Encyclopedia that he had been ill and I was able to find that post (# 5583, on August 6, 2019) where we read this: "I've been pretty seriously ill the last 3 months and just recently got out of the hospital." I wonder, maybe his death (if he is really dead) is linked to that disease 2 years ago.
Rollo was always very kind to me and I remember him as a nice and bright person. Until today I didn't know which face he had, but the friendship born 10 years ago on TennisForum made me feel close to him. Everyone remembers his passion for tennis, but he wrote to me that "History is my twin passion with tennis" and that he loved traveling.
I am very sad.
I have found this:
I don’t understand the link you provided. It’s about guy named Bill, and moderator Rollo’s name is William James. Also, one other poster wrote Bill will be missed. The guy in the first post in this thread, on the obituary in that link in the first post is not the same guy in this link I’m replying to. Can someone explain?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,911 Posts
I don’t understand the link you provided. It’s about guy named Bill, and moderator Rollo’s name is William James. Also, one other poster wrote Bill will be missed. The guy in the first post in this thread, on the obituary in that link in the first post is not the same guy in this link I’m replying to. Can someone explain?
Bill is generally used as a short form of William.

·
Registered
17,214 Posts
I rarely visit TF these days. It was really, really sad to log in after a long time and read such terrible news. RIP, Rollo! I'm in shock...

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Bill is a a short form of William, and with us Rollo always signed Bill.
The photo in the obituary is Rollo as a young man, the one in the link I provided is Rollo in recent years. CSM is the College where he worked.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts