Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
18,704 Posts
It sounds like that’s absolute confirmation that the deceased William Rollins is in fact our beloved Rollo. Thank you Chaton. Is there anything else you care to share about your meeting in Berlin? I am so glad you were able to meet him in person.
We exchanged during that period frequently PM's as I had a bit more time than now and was working on a couple of results threads. He once mentioned that he will travel to Berlin, Germany and atbthat time I had been living there. I am always curious about the real person behind a nich, so we finally set up a meeting for dinner in Berlin. It was a couple of years ago, but if my memories are correct we met in a restaurant outdoors near Alexanderplatz which is a pretty central meeting place in east Berlin. I don't remember anymore what I ate, but we chatted a pretty long time. Mostly about tennis and the forum, which really meant a lot to him. I also remeber that it was summer, since we both were wearing short and t-shirt which you can not in the winter in Berlin. And as I meantioned: He was as freindly and kind as he always has been here in the forum. He told me also that he is not just following tennis, he has been playing himself as well here and there. I wish I could provide more details but the meeting was propably 10 years ago.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
This is my favourite memory of Rollo. He describes how he loved tennis so much he tried to lay out his own grass court to play on.

RIP, dear Bill. You will be missed.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
This is my favourite memory of Rollo. He describes how he loved tennis so much he tried to lay out his own grass court to play on.

RIP, dear Bill. You will be missed.
Thanks samn for this nice memory of Rollo!

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sad reality, we must go on without Rollo now. I think it's time to have a new moderator for BFTP, or many threads will die without updating.
I can't do that because I have to reduce the time I spend in front all my screens.
Why not someone used to post new data in the Encyclopedia for years? Many good candidates there considering their long lasting interest and dedication for tennis history and BFTP.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Sad reality, we must go on without Rollo now. I think it's time to have a new moderator for BFTP, or many threads will die without updating.
I can't do that because I have to reduce the time I spend in front all my screens.
Why not someone used to post new data in the Encyclopedia for years? Many good candidates there considering their long lasting interest and dedication for tennis history and BFTP.
I don't have time too. Being a BFTP moderator would be too demanding for me.

·
Admin
67,056 Posts
This is a lovely idea - who can make this happen @Michael! ?
Yes, I already changed his user title but we can do something like that together as well.
There is this new feature of the site, where specific threads appear on the main page, I guess you already noticed that, the only requirement for that is that there have to be an image in the first post of the thread (otherwise it's not possible to highlight the thread on the main page)
If someone of you has a nice idea then you can discuss it and open a thread (and add an image to the first post), afterwards I can add that thread to the "featured threads" to make sure that it appears on the main page for a while.

We also just could use this thread (add some short info to the thread title) add an image to the first post (maybe the death notice) and then people could read and share their memories/thoughts about rollo in here as well but that's just what I would do, if no one else comes up with a better idea, it's all up to you here.

If you want something more "special", then we would need to talk to Steve about it as admins are not able to change layouts/banners etc. (not sure if Steve would be able to do that as well to be honest)

·
Registered
88,333 Posts
Adieu Rollo, R.i.P and thank you for your great work on this board!

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
I don't visit BftP as much now than when I first joined TF but I recall Rollo being a huge part of this forum and his wealth of knowledge and passion for tennis history.

He will be greatly missed and fondly remembered. RIP Rollo 💜

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
We also just could use this thread (add some short info to the thread title) add an image to the first post (maybe the death notice) and then people could read and share their memories/thoughts about rollo in here as well but that's just what I would do, if no one else comes up with a better idea, it's all up to you here.
If you want something more "special", then we would need to talk to Steve about it as admins are not able to change layouts/banners etc. (not sure if Steve would be able to do that as well to be honest)
I added Rollo's obituary picture to the first post, if you 'd like to use this thread.
Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
That's so sad. He was always such a respectful poster and knew so much about tennishistory. If I remember well he even created blast from the past.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts