Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Very sad news guys. I think it's not a speculation anymore. Rollo has apparently passed away on April 6th.
Samn has found the obituary bellow last week since he knew Rollo's age, his first name and from what city he's from. We waited and waited hoping that it's just a coincidence and he'd come back, but as time passes it really looks like he's not coming back. Read all the comments of the obituary and you'll be convinced too, that it's about him, since one person was calling him Rollo at work, and many said he was a tennis fan and player.
I asked the Administrator of this Forum to investigate the matter a few days ago and he also thinks the obituary is about Rollo. The IP adress of Rollo's last login and his e-mail are from that city and that college.

It's a huge loss for the forum and the BFTP thread. I'm very sad about it.
He will be missed tremendously.
Rest in Peace Rollo !

Rest in Peace Rollo

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Very sad news guys. I think it's not a speculation anymore. Rollo has apparently passed away on April 6th.
Samn has found the obituary bellow last week since he knew Rollo's age, his first name and from what city he's from. We waited and waited hoping that it's just a coincidence and he'd come back, but as time passes it really looks like he's not coming back. Read all the comments of the obituary and you'll be convinced too, that it's about him, since one person was calling him Rollo at work, and many said he was a tennis fan and player.
I asked the Administrator of this Forum to investigate the matter a few days ago and he also think the obituary is probably about Rollo. The IP adress of Rollo's last login and his e-mail are from that city and that college.

It's a huge loss for the forum and the BFTP thread. I'm very sad about it.
He will be missed tremendously.
Rest in Peace Rollo !

Oh my god very sad News .

·
Registered
388 Posts
Very sad news indeed. Gutted to hear he has passed away. Rollo was such an enthusiastic and knowledgeable tennis fan, particularly on women's tennis history. Always supportive of the efforts and contributions of other posters. Never any negativity or aggressiveness like you so often see on tennis fan forums. Just genuine interest and engagement. Also in the PMs I had with him he was always kind. To me he was truly the life and soul of the BFTP forum and his countless contributions over the years made this place what it is today. He will be very much missed. Hopefully this forum will continue to thrive in his absence, with the same positive and constructive spirit. I'm sure he would love that.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I am shocked by the news that our dear Rollo passed away!!! I still find it hard to believe it and I delude myself that the news is not true, but I must admit that the comments of the obituary seem to confirm that William James Rollins is really Rollo. A comment reports that Bill had had the desire to return to China to teach English, and in a PM he wrote to me, many years ago, Rollo said he had taught many years in Japan, Korea and Indonesia. If he had taught also in China, I think he would have added it to the list he made me, and that commentator probably remembers badly and wrote China instead of another of the 3 Asian countries indicated by Rollo.
I remember that 2 years ago Rollo wrote in the Encyclopedia that he had been ill and I was able to find that post (# 5583, on August 6, 2019) where we read this: "I've been pretty seriously ill the last 3 months and just recently got out of the hospital." I wonder, maybe his death (if he is really dead) is linked to that disease 2 years ago.
Rollo was always very kind to me and I remember him as a nice and bright person. Until today I didn't know which face he had, but the friendship born 10 years ago on TennisForum made me feel close to him. Everyone remembers his passion for tennis, but he wrote to me that "History is my twin passion with tennis" and that he loved traveling.
I am very sad.
I have found this:

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Devastating news :-( Bill was a great organizer, a kind person and a hard-working contributor... He was here from the beginning and the Blast from the Past has developed into a credible source of information thanks to his love and dedication for tennis history...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I am gutted by this news. Rollo has really been the rock of BFTP and just a wonderfully kind and encouraging presence. You don't find many like him online.
I messaged him a little over a year ago when he had gone quiet for a bit on this forum, he said he had had some health issues and some family with health issues as well. He signed his post, Bill 'Rollo' Rollins, so it would seem that it was him, though I would be more than delighted were it not.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to say I was hesitant to post this news since it was still a bit speculative. But the posts above seem to have cleared all speculations away. So many thanks for that.
Since a week ago Samn, Mark43, Adam the Admin and myself also knew, but it was like the lack of confirmation made us all hesitant to tell, hoping that it was all but a coincidence and Rollo would come back soon. However I thought it was time tell when I noticed a few people were wondering why some threads were not being updated as usual by Rollo, for more than 2 months.

It's a hard blow for BFTP. I wonder if many of the threads here will remain alive because it required a lot of meticulous work from Rollo. Big shoes to fill for the next mod.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I think this is William James Rollins' sister. Could someone write to her and ask her for definitive confirmation? If it's really Rollo who is dead, tell her how sad our forum is and that we miss him.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I will miss Rollo greatly. I first posted in 2014 and he was really interested in the players of the past. (History of tennis) With a combination of present day internet facilities and publications of the past I was able to make postings which Rollo greatly appreciated. So sad that he is no longer with us.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I’ve known Rollo for twenty years now, yet I didn’t really know him at all other than just ‘Rollo’. I first met him on the old women’s tennis forum in 2001, when it was in some other incarnation, but his name was always Rollo. No matter the venue, Rollo was always a charming, gracious and witty presence. He was a gentleman and a scholar. He always had wonderful stories and a vast knowledge of tennis history. He always had only kind things to say and was never petty or confrontational. He was just great, wonderful Rollo.
When I first heard that he might be gone, i hoped it wasn’t him. But after reading all the kind comments in the obituary I am positive that it’s him, and I think he was even more wonderful than I thought. I hope he went peacefully.
He was an amazing person and I will, and do, miss him.
I hope people will keep this forum alive. He really put his heart and soul in it.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I think this is William James Rollins' sister. Could someone write to her and ask her for definitive confirmation? If it's really Rollo who is dead, tell her how sad our forum is and that we miss him.
I don’t have Facebook but I hope someone can contact her.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sad indeed. I always assumed he was an old guy. What happened to him ?
Me too, but he was just 56. Way too young to die.
I first thought maybe he got Covid and couldn't be vaccinated in time. He worked at a college as a career advisor for the students. So if the mask was not mandatory there in the month of March, it would have been a very risky place where to work. But it can be because of a health issue he had since 2019, serious enough to be hospitalized for a while, according to Jimbo109.

·
Registered
18,704 Posts
I am sad as well. The BFTP section was what brought me to this forum. Rollo was not only a huge contributor here and filled many gaps of knowledge in history of women's tennis. He also was a very kind person and kept the atmosphere here very respectful and friendly. Regarding this BFTP is much better than almost any other section in this forum and this is thanks to him.

I had the chance to meet him in person once a couple of years ago when I was still living in Germany and he travelled to Berlin. And I can tell that in person he is as nice and as kind as he appeared here.

This is a big loss for the entire forum and especially for this section here.

RIP

1 - 20 of 85 Posts