Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wild cards for home slams don't bother me at all -- it's a way for these nations to throw some dollars to the development of their players just as some other nations do. I do like the way Wimbledon has some criteria for their home WCs -- don't you have to be at least 250 or above to qualify for main draw WC? Regardless, the level of players are now so competitive that even someone in the 200s or lowers can knock off the higher players .And there's been more than one occasion where a virtually no ranked player won a first round or even made it to the third round.
Though the stats might have improved slightly last year Wimbledon does have one of the worst records for home players allocated a wc being knocked out in the first round so even with this so called better criteria they are still behind the USA, France and Australia. OK - those 3 countries might allocate more to their own players but still not a great record. Really do think it is also a bit of a fallacy that receiving a wild card to the main draw of a grand slam aids the development of a player (certainly a lot of British players like Bogdanovic, James Ward, Liam Broady, Dan Cox - failed or have failed so far to make any major impact on the sport). If a player is good enough and puts in the necessary application then they will develop irrespective of whether they are handed wc's (at any event) or not.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
What I don't understand - these obscure juniors Selena Janicijevic and Elsa Jacquemot - they have not even given them WCs into main draw or qualifying into any of the other recent senior events for them to gain experience - Cagnes-sur-Mer, St Gaudens or Strasbourg. In fact Strasbourg has some even more obscure offerings in the qualifying - Evita Ramirez v Emiline Dartron, who TF are they??? Surely it is better that these girls have a bit more senior experience before walking out on court at Stade Roland Garros or are the FFT afraid that they would receive a double bagel drubbing like Julie Gervais at the hands of Beatriz Haddad Maia the other week? It is like the reverse of a play off - hiding your players away so no one can see how bad they really are!!!

Given the recent performances of the other WCs, this does not bode well. Paquet was the only MDWC to have a reasonable performance at St Gaudens, reaching the qf unseeded. But Ponchet was double baguetted by Tereza Martincova (!), Tan lost to QWC Tessah, who then achieved one game from Bogdan 2r, Albie and Yerolymos lost to a qualifier and a lucky loser in straight sets respectively! Collectively I think we call call that performance St Garbage!

·
Registered
27,408 Posts
Not at Hesse complaining in social media of finally being snubbed after her horrible form and winning like 5 games total in her last 4 MD WCs combined :happy:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
FFT really would benefit from Parmentier and Ferro slipping back to 110-150 territory then they would need to scrape the barrel less.

Unfortunate that Burel is injured because she was an obvious choice. Does anyone know if Dodin turned one down to get more matches (and points potentially via qualifying)?

It doesn't bode well though given the totally average results they've been dropping at the french ITFs.

·
Premium Member
66,167 Posts
I would be surprised if Dodin turned down a MDWC TBH. There’s no way in hell she’s qualifying on clay so I think she’d take the paycheck and the off-chance of drawing (and beating) somebody like Janicijevic for a quick ranking boost.

Meanwhile, one of the MDWCs in Strasbourg goes to noone else but Amandine Hesse, while Parry and Ponchet are slugging it out in qualies and Janicijevic is nowhere to be found. :lol:

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
I would be surprised if Dodin turned down a MDWC TBH. There’s no way in hell she’s qualifying on clay so I think she’d take the paycheck and the off-chance of drawing (and beating) somebody like Janicijevic for a quick ranking boost.

Meanwhile, one of the MDWCs in Strasbourg goes to noone else but Amandine Hesse, while Parry and Ponchet are slugging it out in qualies and Janicijevic is nowhere to be found. :lol:

Yes, Dodin is not a FFT’s fave for refusing to play Fed Cup .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53,873 Posts
Janicijevic was seen in a junior tournament in Italy last week where she lost against a 15 year old local girl 63 63 in the first round :spit:

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
So supposedly weak WC Paquet defeats #34 Kenin in Strasbourg :eek:h: 3 and 3.

·
Registered
15,988 Posts
This is the best line up of WCS in years for French players in MDm for years

No Hesse and Lim terrible players who doesn't even belong in this tournament as whole if they don't enter on their own merits.
Besides that little girl who only won one match, have no problem with others.

There hasn't been a breakout star kid in this clay season. So I don't see a reason for other WCs to go to other players who is not French

·
Premium Member
62,537 Posts
Teichmann?

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
So far in men's Q, the French WCs are 6/6 in R1 :eek:h:

Maybe the FFT choices will surprise this year.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
People getting excited for Packet's 2nd ever win over a (tanking) top-100 at age 25 really says it all about those WC choices :spit:

Reactions: Nicolas

·
Registered
455 Posts
Looking at the Q-draw, 4 of WC faces Seeds. No WC-WC clash.
We are not at Miami or other US event.

You can discuss about the value of WC, but French doesn't fakes the draw.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Teichmann?
Absolutely - plus those who were ranked 104-112 now and at the cut off who have to hack it through qualifying whilst the likes of Pacquet and Harmony Tan get a free ride. When you think about it from that point of view I think its disgraceful.

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Looking at the Q-draw, 4 of WC faces Seeds. No WC-WC clash.
We are not at Miami or other US event.

You can discuss about the value of WC, but French doesn't fakes the draw.
We need a Selena Jankovic vs. Serena Williams in MD R1!

101 - 120 of 143 Posts