10,424 Posts
Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
10,424 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Imagine Barbs would be robbed after that HORRIBLE call on one of her MPs... DISGUSTING.

And she is so humble in her post-match speech. An ICON.
hopefully after this incident, the french federation will consider to use hawkeye like the other 3 grand slams instead of using human eyes as the final judgement. clearly this example shows that hawkeye is more accurate than human eyes when you are dealing with a millimeter or less.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
You were warned Barbora was immensely talented and she was becoming an extremely formidable tennis player. That said, It is incredible how she has improved so much since lockdown. There have been discussions about which players have been worst affected by the lockdown but I think it is clear Barbora was the player who most benefited from lockdown.
Yes, I didn't read her interviews but commentators went through them and she made the switch in focusing again on singles as she didn't want to be only associated with her doubles success, with that came a more specific training and national matches that czech were allowed to play.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
192 Posts
hopefully after this incident, the french federation will consider to use hawkeye like the other 3 grand slams instead of using human eyes as the final judgement. clearly this example shows that hawkeye is more accurate than human eyes when you are dealing with a millimeter or less.
That was not milimeters but almost 2 CENTIMETERS OUT!!!

·
Registered
34,802 Posts
I definitely thought I don't care about the rest of these matches, but I watched anyway, with no expectations, because you simply never know when/if a match-up is going to throw up sparks or be entertaining. Sometimes it's more enjoyable if you "don't care", i.e. don't have a dog in the fight, you can relax and enjoy it for the tennis and for the drama. And that was certainly the case with the 2nd match today.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Drama-wise, I would prefer Sakkari to win and the Czech to hit the umpire’s chair.

Tennis-wise, thank God for the result. The better player won, fair and square.

But one thing I don’t understand: why does TF hate Vondrousova but love Krejcikova?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great match, which had everything: great play, intensity, competitiveness, and tension.

Krejcikova thoughts after the match were gems! She's a heart-felt person that spoke with sincerity and humility. How many players can say they'd be happy to lose a semi-final match at GS because they were happy with their play and fulfillment of a lifelong dream to play such type of match?

Krejcikova has nothing to lose in the Final, and could win if her opponent gets tight.

Sakkari will learn from this experience and will be mentally stronger. Given her enormous talent, she'll a force on the Tour. The other three semi-finalists will go back into journey-person status...

·
Registered
13,369 Posts
Would have preferred Sakkari vs. Pavlyuchenkova, but it is what it is. Plus that questionable call at the end... so IDK. Then again, hawkeye on clay isn't necessarily accurate.

Nonetheless, the match was a hot mess for the majority of it but was nail-biting at the end and really delivered in terms of drama. Sakkari was being insufferable but I kinda found it hilarious and entertaining. She literally had a reaction to every single point whether she won or lost the point. 😂 Hopefully this isn't a setback for her.

It was sweet of Krejcikova to mention Jana in her speech. 🥰

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Drama-wise, I would prefer Sakkari to win and the Czech to hit the umpire’s chair.

Tennis-wise, thank God for the result. The better player won, fair and square.

But one thing I don’t understand: why does TF hate Vondrousova but love Krejcikova?
TF used to love Vondrousova, she was one of the most liked on here. For the FO final, for her variety and especially for beating Halep twice in a short span. But her time at the top was too shortlived to get get real fans. Now that she's been flopping and their expectations aren't met, people are starting to notice her demeanour on court and the holes in her game more.

The same will happen with Barbora if she doesn't back up this result consistently. TF can be fickle and will turn on a dime on any player.

·
Registered
626 Posts
first time watching krejci like her game way more than sakkari
the most impressive about her is one of those doubles actually help her single game
if she 20+ id say she has great potential but 25 hmmmm maybe this is once in life time

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
The quality of the match was beyond terrible. You see more smart and regular shots in a local 10K ITF match than in this one... Painful for the eyes and the ears.
This was a match that Sakkari lost. Lost her tennis, her mind and game style. Absolutely no clue what to do. I mean you are No 18 in the world, in a GS SF and your opponent serves 110 - 125 Km/H serves barely landing on the other side of the net and you still stay 3 meters behind the base live to receive them?

This was a golden opportunity for her and its gone. This GS title will hunt her for ery very long time.

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
A nervy SF for both with the two of them having chances.
I’m happy for Krejcikova but you have to feel for Sakkari.
Like in the Doha final though, Barbora’s use of a long toilet break after the second set is just not fair.
Not blaming her but a rule needs to be brought in that for every minute over an allotted time you lose a point...

·
Registered
38,375 Posts
Krejcikova - calmness, maturity, humility.

Yesterday she gave a lesson to Gauff, that one can win a match without obnoxious cmon's and without racket smashing in an animalistic rage,
today she did the same to Sakkari, who was trying to bully her with screaming and playing with crowd.

And that robbery at match point... kick this umpire and implement hawk-eye... it is 2021...
The racist undertones, ew.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
A nervy SF for both with the two of them having chances.
I’m happy for Krejcikova but you have to feel for Sakkari.
Like in the Doha final though, Barbora’s use of a long toilet break after the second set is just not fair.
Not blaming her but a rule needs to be brought in that for every minute over an allotted time you lose a point...
But she didn’t do anything against rules. There is no specific time set for toilet breaks. What about if she really needs to use it? You probably would like to see players shitting themself on court.

Reactions: Petronius

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Bitter pill to swallow for Sakkari. Overall I think Sakkari was the better player this match, this tournament and this year. Anyway. Krejcikova plays very special, great hands but I miss power, emotion and athletism. Mentally that was great -as before vs Gauff!

261 - 280 of 300 Posts