Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Point of the match for me was when Barbora lulled Sakkari into a moonball rally at *5-4 BP in the third set then just trolled her with an angled FH winner.
That was a lovely point. The Czech commentator made a hilarious remark, saying sth like 'Barbora pasted her opponent onto the advertising boards' 😁

I didn't even know moonball rallies could be so fun for the viewer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My very first post on this forum to celebrate Krejcikova crazy run in an already memorable tournament. Well deserved !
Not a surprise to see her at this stage, F in Dubaï + 3 sets battle against Iga in Rome were strong signs, the title in Strasbourg was the confirmation. She was my secret favourite :p

Huge physical and mental fight ! I dont know how Barbs found the energy to handle and finish off. I thought she was done considering to number of hours spent on clay courts for singles/doubles since Madrid...But confidence + experience at the very high level in doubles made the difference.

Nothing much to say about Sakkari...nice to see her doing good in GS, but no excuses for missing so many easy shots at this stage.

Hope Barbs takes it all !

The umpire error/hawk eye mess should be the last warning for the organizers...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
So I’m a relatively recent convert to being a Krejcikova fan but after the first 2 sets I was losing faith. For the second match in a row she won a first set she had no business winning and frankly was playing horribly. Sakkari was playing down to Bara’s level and it was a pretty horrible match. However, it turned into an absolute classic - and Bara finished playing how she has all year. Not sure what was going on in her head for the first 2 sets but could barely hit the BH and so many ugly errors. Final set it was back to classic Barbora! Sadly, Sakkari showed her nerves of mush again. No doubting her talent, but she gets the worst brain freezes at key moments, while Barbora has shown remarkable mental strength. 9-1 in three set matches. Take that P3tra!

Really happy to see her and Pavs make the final. I just hope Barbora turns up from the start!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Did french tennis even reacted on that shitty rulling? Or they gona play nothing happen, no hawkey needed game?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't even know his name but I have always hated this umpire, I am never happy to see him in the chair. Quite argumentative with players, prone to mistakes, like Cicak but without any of the friendliness or charm to compensate. I don't know how he has a job and this disaster at a grand slam semi should take care of that.

Happy for Barbora, I have to say. I've never warmed to Sakkari as she seems so prone to employing gamesmanship (that ridiculous on-off foghorn grunt first of all), and Barbs is so calm and balanced on court in comparison to that. Pretty game too, while I do find Maria a bit boring to watch due to how flat her game is.

I can't say that I'm excited for a Pavlyuchenkova/Krejcikova final but I suppose it's nice to see central and eastern Europe reasserting itself at the grand slam stage. When was the last -ova vs -ova final?

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Krejcikova - calmness, maturity, humility.

Yesterday she gave a lesson to Gauff, that one can win a match without obnoxious cmon's and without racket smashing in an animalistic rage,
today she did the same to Sakkari, who was trying to bully her with screaming and playing with crowd.

And that robbery at match point... kick this umpire and implement hawk-eye... it is 2021...
Lovely post and I fully agree.

OTOH, I'm sure there will be those who disagree and who prefer players clenching fists or screaming Come Ons in whatever language they speak.

This contrast in personalities and styles actually make it interesting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lovely post and I fully agree.

OTOH, I'm sure there will be those who disagree and who prefer players clenching fists or screaming Come Ons in whatever language they speak.

This contrast in personalities and styles actually make it interesting.
I don't mind screaming here and there after a point won. But screaming on a ball missed by the opponent? Or doing what Djokovic has done??? I hope he gets a rough lesson from Nadal. And the crowd rooting for a player and howling in approval and handclapping when her opponent makes an error? Gross!

·
Registered
192 Posts
When it comes to how she is built, Maria reminds me Sam Stosur very much except Stosur was a more humble down to earth woman. She did not resort to gamesmanship ala Sharapova that I thoroughly despised. Those screams can be really distracting!!!

·
Art & Futures
21,957 Posts
When it comes to how she is built, Maria reminds me Sam Stosur very much except Stosur was a more humble down to earth woman. She did not resort to gamesmanship ala Sharapova that I thoroughly despised. Those screams can be really distracting!!!
Sam Stosur is quiet. That's not the same thing unless you happen to know more.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I can’t say I’m sad with this outcome. Sakkari is not my cup of tea - she’s the complete opposite of elegant or graceful and has an ugly game BUT she is one hell of a scrappy fighter, and you have to respect her for that, and for her fitness.
She's already got a stiff game. When the stress goes up there, it gets her arms get even stiffer. I can't imagine a better chance than this, and she was so close, but hopefully she gets her slam one day.

I’m warming to Barbora. This was the first match I’ve watched her play in detail since the Dubai final. I remember thinking then she had a nice style of play, but actually it looks even more eye pleasing on clay. She’s seems quite likeable, I don’t remember thinking that in the Dubai final. I just hope she backs up this success at future high level events.
Barbora was very impressive leading up to the Dubai final and i thought she'd overcome Garbine, but Garbine made her look pedestrian and made her commit lots of UEs. Match ups i guess.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Reactions: Katerina
241 - 260 of 300 Posts