Tennis Forum banner

221 - 240 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
That's a shock, as you have about 100 signature girls, Amyd.
Exactly 20 including new entries Mertens and Vondrousova. It is a win-win, there will always be a signature girl in the final 4.

Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Well i knew this would happen so i'm not that dissapointed.Sakkari played nothing like she did in the previous rounds.Being the favorite is such a tough thing to handle.She is not mentally strong and that doesnt change at 26.I dont think she will ever find such an opportunity for a slam again but in the crazy world of WTA who knows.

·
Registered
16,579 Posts
I can’t say I’m sad with this outcome. Sakkari is not my cup of tea - she’s the complete opposite of elegant or graceful and has an ugly game BUT she is one hell of a scrappy fighter, and you have to respect her for that, and for her fitness.

I’m warming to Barbora. This was the first match I’ve watched her play in detail since the Dubai final. I remember thinking then she had a nice style of play, but actually it looks even more eye pleasing on clay. She’s seems quite likeable, I don’t remember thinking that in the Dubai final. I just hope she backs up this success at future high level events.

Barbora Krejcikova - GS finalist. Who would have thought this time 2-3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Can you give me some source on this? When Iga did compare herself to Nadal.

please no she is not comparing herself with rafa comments. when the same question was asked to naomi like whether she is the best player on the tour or not,

naomi replied: undoubtedly serena cuz it was clear that she is nowhere near serena"s career.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

please no she is not comparing herself with rafa comments. when the same question is asked to naomi like if she is the best player on the tour,

naomi replied: undoubtedly serena cuz it was clear that she is nowhere near serena"s career.
i dont think she said something wrong... i bet she wants to be like her idol and she is still a little bit childish sometimes but i dont think she is thinking she is like Rafa + she never acted like she is the best player on the tour

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
i dont think she said something wrong... i bet she wants to be like her idol and she is still a little bit childish sometimes but i dont think she is thinking she is like Rafa + she never acted like she is the best player on the tour
no objections on her putting the ceiling sky high above, appreciated. however "i am not rafa but"... comment just reminds me "i am not racist but".... comments. the way she made this comment is from the vantage point of bragging. childish as u put it correctly. my critique is for her well being. she should be more aware of herself.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Undecided before the match, but during found myself squarely supporting Barbara. She's just such a pure person. Her speech genuinely brought a tear to my eye.
I was up on my feet after that despicable call on MP, I don't know how she handled it, I certainly couldn't.
Still rooting for Pavs in the final, but will be happy with either outcome, they are both outstanding stories.

·
Registered
55 Posts
At a certain point your chances run out. And this was the theme of the match for Maria. During the first set, she had two break points to go up a double break (4-1), squandered both points & this likely cost her the set.

Now for the second set. Great start & cruises out to a 4-0 lead. Has game point to go up 5-1, loses serve and the subsequent next 3 games. Manages to hold @ 5-4 and wins the set but once again makes things way more difficult than necessary.

Third set. Manages to snatch a break in the third & maintains it throughout the set. At 5-3, 40-30, she has a match point & hits a mediocre backhand return which Barbora punishes. While serving for the match at 5-4 she makes two forehand unforced errors & goes down 0-30. Manages to get back to 30-30 & then dumps another neutral ball into the net off the forehand wing. Gets back to deuce, hits a great serve and decides to opt for a drop shot over the middle of the net instead of a routine forehand from an offensive position. Ends up getting broken. From there, Maria was never really able to put any pressure on Barbora's serve & that's the match.

The level of tennis wasn't very good at all from either player due to nerves. But Maria was in control for most of the match & she could have closed it out in 2 sets.

We saw this only a few months ago during Miami against Andreescu. Blew two set points during the first set tiebreak. Then she was up a break in the third set which she squandered. And then again squandered an opportunity to serve out the match @ 6-5-she ended up losing the tiebreak (and match).

She's probably the most fit player on tour & has turned her serve from a huge liability into a weapon in just a couple years. Generates power off both wings & moves well. But regarding the mental game, she's just too raw atm- perhaps this will be a turning point for her. Certainly will be interested to see how she bounces back @ Wimby....

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
no hawk eye for clay and all white at Wimbledon are stupid rules. They serve no purpose.

Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Backhand winner here looks looks so efortless..I haven't watched much of Krejcikova so far, hope she can sustain her level for rest of the year

It looks effortless, because she practiced very hard during the coronavirus break. The hard work is paying off now.

Imagine Barbs would be robbed after that HORRIBLE call on one of her MPs... DISGUSTING.
I hope the guy gets punished. Terrible call at the ultimately most deciding point of a tennis match.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, I appreciate this result for different reasons:

• My dream semi was Badosa-Rybakina-Swiatek-Gauff. Not only it wasn't meant to be, but I had all remaining 4 instead. So I was gutted as hell
  • As a vicious person I rooted for Krejcikova – Zidansek final with Zidansek to win, just to make TF explode
So it still was about a half of it without Zidansek winning it all, alas. As to Sakkari and Krejcikova I did not pay attention to these players before but now when I know them a bit my sympathy went two different trajectories. I dislike Sakkari due to her on-court demeanor and screams (not as obnoxious as Djokovic or Sharapova or Serena, but still bad) and her looks. I love fitness, but when a woman looks like Arnie, there is some excess. I like Barbs very much now though – she’s a “girl next door”, modest and nice, her Jana Novotna remarks made me almost cry. And she’s restrained in a good way – no diva behaviour – she means business and does business on court. And as a Pole, she’s Czech and I’d very much like more Poles to resemble Czechs in their behaviour, their down to earth sense of reality and tolerance. I am often missing it here in Poland.

So it was a good result for me, better than Maria winning (but nothing against her really, just a new fan of Barbs). Another reason is my post in Iga-Sakkari match thread, where (opposed to many opinions, even those of Mats and Barbara Schett) I wrote that her game is very basic and error prone, even in Iga match she was 26:24 and won only because Iga was 17:25, so those stats weren’t perfect to say the least. And I wrote clearly that when Sakkari does not somehow manage to win the first, she’s toast. She wasn’t exactly toast (to give credit where credit is due), but since that moment the match was NID for me. Happy it was not distorted by that terrible call near the end. That was generally a problem in this tournament and I can’t understand stubbornness of the French re. hawkeye. Who do they think they are???

Finally as to the match itself, it was interesting for its drama. Barbs should have finished it in two, but too many stupid errors. Sakkari is, well, Sakkari. The stats are tragic though, and for both opponents – W/UE 31/58 for Barbs and 27/53 for Maria? C’mon girls, you both can do better! As for Barbs, she could be tired – because she not only plays doubles like Iga, but also just finished her mixed after a long match. But she did not use it as a lame excuse like Iga, she came like a businesswoman and won. “Veni, vidi vici” one could say. As for Maria, doing weights all the time does not always help – she looks too strong and too pumped up to be a good player. Sheer power isn’t enough if you meet a business meaning woman like Barbs, even if Barbs played bad for her standards.

Maria served well though, and it is her strength. She was even better than in Iga match with 62% first serves in to 57% Barbs. But when it came to balls won off the first serve, and especially from second, Barbs was better (62% to 61%). When you think that Maria won 80% off her first serve in Iga match, its clear Iga must work hard on her return game. And Barbs basically played like Radwanska here – just mostly placing the ball in and waiting for Maria to burn out. OK, maybe without Radwanska’s finesse in this match, but with much more strength here and there – she still finished this bad match with more winners. And although Barbs was also bad, she was better in nearly all stats. So I doubt Sakkari will win a major – case closed. Too pedestrian game and too error prone, and the body building won’t help for sure. Like I said, she will stay more or less where David Ferrer stood among the best – only he was more solid.

·
Registered
21,351 Posts
I thought Sakkari would prevail, but Barbs is not finished just yet. Shame I couldn't watch this one. Hope she still has enough in the tank for the final.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought Sakkari would prevail, but Barbs is not finished just yet. Shame I couldn't watch this one. Hope she still has enough in the tank for the final.
That may be the problem. Pavs has a much better game than Maria in this tournament, means business and doesn't play diva like Maria and Kostyuk before.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I admire how disciplined and hardworking Maria is! Sakkari has the blood of old greek gods. She deserved to get this far at this GS. Hard work pays off.
Indeed but she really needs to work with a sports psychologist. Last year she needed like 10 match points before she finally closed out Serena @ Cincy. Then again @ Miami this year she failed to close it out against Andreescu. And now again during the biggest match of her career. It’s a pattern at this point & it needs breaking if she wants to win titles.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I didn't see big chunks of the match including the first set and most of the second, but I didn't think the quality was as awful as made out, in fact a times in the final set it was very good. And of course the gripping drama, with the moonball rallies, numerous break points coming and going and dodgy calls.

Have to say I was very happy Barbora won. She has quite an elegant, tidy game easily spraying the ball deep and angled and with great touch as you would expect of a doubles slam winner, and doesn't get rattled, and her words afterwards were very powerful. It's amazing how she has gone from ITF scrub to Slam finalist in such a short period, even accounting for the doubles career.

Moreover, Sakkari has an ugly game and I couldn't stand her ugly shouting after every point, and equally that of her entourage and fans.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I didn't see big chunks of the match including the first set and most of the second, but I didn't think the quality was as awful as made out, in fact a times in the final set it was very good. And of course the gripping drama, with the moonball rallies, numerous break points coming and going and dodgy calls.

Have to say I was very happy Barbora won. She has quite an elegant, tidy game easily spraying the ball deep and angled and with great touch as you would expect of a doubles slam winner, and doesn't get rattled, and her words afterwards were very powerful. It's amazing how she has gone from ITF scrub to Slam finalist in such a short period, even accounting for the doubles career.

Moreover, Sakkari has an ugly game and I couldn't stand her ugly shouting after every point, and equally that of her entourage and fans.
And what I absolutely HATED it was the crowd howling with approval when Barbs made an error.

221 - 240 of 300 Posts