Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No thread yet?? I'm no Sloane fan but I felt bad for her trying to close this match with no energy left. Glad she could finally win.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Messy performance from Sloane, 23 winners and 43 UE :sobbing:

She was so passive in the way she played those MPs in the second set. Hercog’s game is a mixed bag of tricks (today she mostly played heavy topspin balls to push Sloane way behind the baseline) and you could tell Sloane was getting no rhythm.

If there’s anything encouraging for her next match it’s that—she fought through the match, and Muguruza will give her a far more predictable stream of CC patterns at a more consistent depth and pace. But otherwise… some of those errors were sailing way beyond the baseline and it was kind of tragic to watch :help: She’s also looked unsettled this tournament, hope it’s not the pressure of defending points that’s getting to her.

Reactions: MiggtheBino

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sloane struggled with getting no rhythm from Hercog and there was just some wild patches of play from both but all that matters is the win. Muguruza will be a more consistent and predictable match and Sloane will have to be on her A game from the beginning.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Traggggggggic from Scone... Girl.... this was a hot mess!!!

Seemed to be playing well up a set and a half, then of course... started playing like crap... hit 32 errors over the last set and a half. Messy messy!
Mugu seems to be playing well this tourney, Scone has to step up, or shes out

·
Registered
660 Posts
She screams a lot lately after winning some tough matches. And Sven wouldn't be her coach if he thought she didn't care enough (though she has had many lazy times).

Her lack of a serve from her hitting 116-118 back in 2011-2012 is always a concern. But Garbine is a decent matchup for her since she doesn't have to be the one who looks to be aggressive (as well as Garbine no longer being the fearless big hitter she once was), and can turnaround the point vs her.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Messy performance from Sloane, 23 winners and 43 UE :sobbing:

She was so passive in the way she played those MPs in the second set. Hercog’s game is a mixed bag of tricks (today she mostly played heavy topspin balls to push Sloane way behind the baseline) and you could tell Sloane was getting no rhythm.

If there’s anything encouraging for her next match it’s that—she fought through the match, and Muguruza will give her a far more predictable stream of CC patterns at a more consistent depth and pace. But otherwise… some of those errors were sailing way beyond the baseline and it was kind of tragic to watch :help: She’s also looked unsettled this tournament, hope it’s not the pressure of defending points that’s getting to her.
It definitely is defending finalist points that made her very tight in this one.

·
Banned
15,175 Posts
Thank god Sloane... :facepalm:

·
Banned
32,000 Posts
Painful. She needs to play better against Muruguza

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
She screams a lot lately after winning some tough matches. And Sven wouldn't be her coach if he thought she didn't care enough (though she has had many lazy times).

Her lack of a serve from her hitting 116-118 back in 2011-2012 is always a concern. But Garbine is a decent matchup for her since she doesn't have to be the one who looks to be aggressive (as well as Garbine no longer being the fearless big hitter she once was), and can turnaround the point vs her.
I've been wondering about that too. During her "Summer of Sloane", she was serving in the 85-100mph for 1st serves, but often getting 70% in. I figure part of it is due to coaching (under Kamau Murray), and part of it is due to some lost strength/fitness. Frankly, she's not even close to shape she was back then. Then again, she won her only major serving that way, so there must be some merit to it.

Agreed on the matchup, too. I'd much prefer taking on Garbi than Elina, especially since Svitolina can really expose Sloane's poor fitness.

It's a great opportunity for both players, and I'd pick the winner to reach the final from the bottom half. Time will tell.

·
Registered
27,998 Posts
She looked ready to keel over towards the end of that second set, if only she had the fitness of a Halep ?

·
Registered
34,311 Posts
Hercog's game is one of the ugliest (almost as ugly as her tats), most tedious I've seen, she made it almost unwatchable. But you can see how it can be effective in boring her opponents to death. Props to Sloane for grinding it out.

·
Registered
40,195 Posts

·
Registered
15,905 Posts
Sloane restoring a little order in this part of the draw. You could tell what it meant to her after she won match point, she’s definitely caring this tournament.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts