·
Premium Member
44,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go Elina :clap2:

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
I did tell everyone that this draw is perfect for Elina.

Venus moved like a pensioner , easy match vs Kozlova and Muguruza looked powerless and struggled vs ITF expert Townsend.

She’s practically in the 2nd week.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
It wasn’t a bad match Venus just could not hold her serve, but Elaine was hitting some really good returns.

Venus should play a grass warm up otherwise she’ll find herself crashing out of Wimbledon early again! She won’t play now for 5 weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
As I said before, you just wish Venus had incorporated these skills 10 years ago, 20 years ago even. Venus was willing to play measured percentage tennis, but now her physical condition has eroded so much that it hurt her here. She can't afford to try to rally point after point.

A brief flash of hope when she got up the break and then she never really opened her shoulders to press that advantage and Svitolina stepped into the court and burned her.

Tough to look forward to grass when her serve is so benign.

·
Premium Member
182,075 Posts
She says thank you Zverev

·
Registered
87,444 Posts
Oh my god..Venus struggles so much on her own serve today..

·
Registered
510 Posts
Already looking forward to Stephens v. Svitolina, could be a massive match.

Question is, will Elina's body hold up if she continues to move through the draw?

·
Registered
12,677 Posts
Elina :yeah: :)

3rd round vs Garbine should be a cracker.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Completely expected outcome on clay no matter how few matches Svitolina has played. She seemed completely unhampered and was scampering about all over the place so I think she'll be absolutely fine for a deep run. Hopefully Venus had a nice time hanging out in Paris and then she'll probably just head home to Florida for a few weeks I suppose.

Venus was making odd decisions and was incapable of holding serve and Svitolina played well. Kinda all that needs to be said on this match :shrug:

·
Registered
87,444 Posts

Reactions: leftbrian

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
Venus:hug: physically couldnt match Elaine!

Good win for Elaine:cheer::cheer: She is playing with no pressure this year! Everybody watchout:armed:

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Elina played very well, especially from 1-3 down in the second set. When she was able to hold serve herself, she was able to gain the ascendancy as she was able to break Venus so many times. She was quick around the court, seemed very focussed and sharp, much better than I was expecting, given the paucity of matches and wins for her this clay season. Well done!

Venus just faded in both sets, especially in the second set. She can't have that many RG performances left.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts