Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Milk and honey
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F I N A L L Y wins a match at Roland Garros.

I've waited so many YEARRRS :sobbing: oh my god.

At long last the duck is broken and hopefully she can relax here now. Very winnable R2 against Davis. Lottner played better than expected and it was a very competitive match. The press can finally shut up now :lol:

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Congrats to Johanna, deserved win for sure.

But good result from Antonia as well :).

·
Delusional Jankobitch
7,159 Posts
I agreed with her 6/10 assessment of Jo's match. Sam Smith generous with a 7+.
I think it's more the prosody of her speech - she always sounds damning and in my experience of listening to her commentate she seldom says anything positive.

Her only basis for the 6/10 was the word 'scrappy' which she repeated often.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Excellent win for Jo to break that duck. The match was a bit scrappy but Jo was the steadier overall and deserved to win. Hope she beats Davis and then finds a third round date with Bertens!

·
Registered
44,817 Posts
Congrats Johanna! :D A win here was long overdue. I thought maybe her good prep may be a bit of a burden, but her confidence saw her come through.

Toni :hug: Still patiently waiting for some kind of bigger breakthrough.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
A mental hurdle overcome for Konta and the absurd, never won a main draw match stat is gone. She has been so good on clay this season but was nervous today. Typical first round nerves I suppose and the tall Lottner put up a good fight. She has served and drop shotted well but less solidly today. Still, a good result. If she makes that 3rd Bertens rematch it will probably be over but nice start

·
Registered
34,260 Posts
I'm sure she was nervous, so scrappy is not surprising. The RG spell is broken is what matters, WD Jo. :rocker:

Reactions: Pierre.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Keothavong is such a harsh commentator for such a below average player.
Basically both Sam Smith and Anne Keothavong are failed players as are most of the ex British players who turned to commentating. Neither of them could hold a candle to Johanna Konta's playing career.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Basically both Sam Smith and Anne Keothavong are failed players as are most of the ex British players who turned to commentating. Neither of them could hold a candle to Johanna Konta's playing career.
I don't know anything about them as commentators but I'd actually say they maximized their talent on the tour. Both seemed to be hard workers and turned in some solid results. They were never going to be top 20 players, but they both reached the top 100 and had some solid results. That's a far cry from "failed" any way you look at it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
But you are right that Konta has a far superior career. Amazing to me all those folks on this board who thinks her career has gone nowhere. I love her game and she's one of my favorite players In fact, I can't think of anyone playing today that I'd root for over Konta.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,493 Posts
So nice to see Jo finally get that first win here, she’s been playing so well and building her confidence but I was still worried as Lottner can get on a hot streak from time to time and this could have been an opportunity with the added pressure for Jo to deliver. Hopefully this will help her to relax and see what she can do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts